Older Dogs Meeting Young Puppy Brain Ones

rubiton

OK - how do I explain to the 12 1/2yo dog that when she meets the young 11 month old dog with the bouncey OMG I WANNA PLAY puppy brain that no matter how many times she does the 'settle down' growl he just isnt going to listen? Today she was off the lead and its a blind corner from both sides so didnt have a chance to grab her (she likes to greet him but then he gets excited and tries to jump play style and she tells him off) til she'd tried to do the greet met with bouncey puppy then growl then try again twice.

Do adult dogs usually try to teach younger ones manners like this? Theres no malice in it its just how she reacts if teenage puppies are too boisterous in their greeting and always has - if she actually feel threatened by any dog she'll hide behind me and its very different body language.

The owner tries to calm him down - I think others may completely avoid him as from the second he sees another dog he's hauling on the lead but down on the ground crawling in a submissive fashion but with that OMG I WANNA PLAY WITH THE DOG look before getting bouncey. And being a retriever he's bigger than a few around the place whereas our dog has always had small dogs that tend to yap in her face before we moved here a few months back so she always wants to meet the bigger dogs that we come across (but again most owners keep to their side of the path and you keep to yours).

My girl hates dogs with rude, bouncy greetings. She's only 2. Yesterday we were at the vet and an adolescent boxer came in, straining and bouncing. She growled at him from across the room. So... I kept her away from him. She obviously doesn't feel comfortable with it so I keep her away from dogs like that.

My boy often is the bouncy annoying puppy ... he gets told off, moves off but is then is back 2 seconds later to check if they really mean it ... gets told off, backs off but keep coming back to check to see if there is a change of mind.

I don't allow him to annoy and he is given time out.

My boy often is the bouncy annoying puppy ... he gets told off, moves off but is then is back 2 seconds later to check if they really mean it ... gets told off, backs off but keep coming back to check to see if there is a change of mind.

Thats it thats what they all do - 2 seconds and same again. Puppy brain on a near adult sized dog!! (my dog had every option and space to back off which she will do with adult dogs she is uneasy about).

mine does the same, fingers crossed he'll grow out of it as he matures :crossfingers:

You don't explain anything to a dog.

You keep dogs separate if one is annoying another and keeps pushing things, or you could end up with a dog fight.

The old dog has growled several times, if the young dog doesn't listen to the growls, what do you think the older dog's options are to stop another dog jumping all over it and hurting it?

OK - how do I explain to the 12 1/2yo dog that when she meets the young 11 month old dog with the bouncey OMG I WANNA PLAY puppy brain that no matter how many times she does the 'settle down' growl he just isnt going to listen? Today she was off the lead and its a blind corner from both sides so didnt have a chance to grab her (she likes to greet him but then he gets excited and tries to jump play style and she tells him off) til she'd tried to do the greet met with bouncey puppy then growl then try again twice.

Do adult dogs usually try to teach younger ones manners like this? Theres no malice in it its just how she reacts if teenage puppies are too boisterous in their greeting and always has - if she actually feel threatened by any dog she'll hide behind me and its very different body language.

I keep "growling" at my kids but they don't listen either!!! They just continue on with their annoying behaviour too.

But seriously, tread with caution, some dogs will only put up with so much.

I would avoid meeting the 11 month old bouncy rude dog, or get the owner of the other dog to take the young dog away after initial greeting. Your old dog has shown she does not like the other dog's attention and he clearly isn't understanding her signals or he would back off. If the young dog isn't taught manners and this is allowed to continue your dog may escalate it.