Reattaching A Dog To A New Family Member? Help

angelsophie

Ok so very long story short, we have an eight year old daughter who recently became attached to a young female puppy we were running on for show. She hated showing ( the puppy) and so after talking with her breeder we rehomed her to an awesome family where she is absolutely thriving. But this left the eight year old daughter a little heartbroken. She understood why and was fully involved and friends now have the puppy so she has access to her but she misses her.

We have three here already. Two are pets and one show. Our 2 year old bitch jazz,is, well complicated to say the least. She had issues from the day she arrived at 9 weeks old with aggression and growling. She then had gaiting issues and at 10 month she was diagnosed with legge calve perthes disease. She had a femoral head and neck resection and was desexed. She had a lot of time and energy put into making her a happy member of the family. She would snap if you moved near her, but now she smiles at you all day and begs for tummy rubs and kisses. The kids are finally at ease with her and her with them. She's really a happy hav for the first time in her life :)

Now onto the issue. Miss 8 wants Jazz to sleep on her bed. She's happy to have the door closed to keep her in etc. our dogs are normally inside the house at night and penned in their runs in the garage overnight. They occasionally get to sleep on our bed ( only one at a time). This dog is awesomely behaved when she does sleep on the bed. We'd be happy for jazz to sleep on her bed every night. Our eight year old has proven she can manage the dogs, train them and be firm with them, jazz is only 4.5 kg so not a huge dog either. So how do we train Jazz to sleep on her bed when the only other place beside her pen that she's slept on is our bed? So far she whines constantly to get out. I've put her in tonight and ignored the whining . I didn't put her in till the others were going down to their beds? Any tips do we just repeat this every night till she gets it?I might add that during the worst of her aggression I was the one who groomed and then recovered and rehabilitated her. It was a lot of one on one sessions and while she is an alpha bitch she does see me as the leader in the house

ThanksBec

I'd let it happen gradually , if possible..so it becomes Jazz's 'choice' ....

Make your room a bit unpleasant/unwelcoming .... and make your daughter's room the BEST spot to be ..where the treats are , where her favourite blanket is (even if it is your bedspread), and explain to your daughter that Jazz needs time and gentleness .. to the effect that Jazz's heart hurts when she is away from you ..like your daughter's heart hurts not having the puppy....

1326194490[/url]' post='5671432']

I'd let it happen gradually , if possible..so it becomes Jazz's 'choice' ....

Make your room a bit unpleasant/unwelcoming .... and make your daughter's room the BEST spot to be ..where the treats are , where her favourite blanket is (even if it is your bedspread), and explain to your daughter that Jazz needs time and gentleness .. to the effect that Jazz's heart hurts when she is away from you ..like your daughter's heart hurts not having the puppy....

Thanks Persephone It has been gradual taking her in their without the other dogs and treating her etc over the past 4 weeks. We aren't letting her sleep on our bed so she has the choice of her bed or miss eights bed. ( our room was a very occasional treat so there's no real habit to break). But it's a fair call just patience and time I guess. A the moment she's settled in there by the sounds. Our daughter is walking her to the park tomorrow with us she'll have the treat pouch and lead. Oddly enough I didn't think to move her blanket up. Was just wondering if I was missing something.

Bec

I agree let daughter do the fun things BUT daughter must also understand if the dog doesn't want to sleep in her room that the dogs needs come first,don't set daughter up for another disappointment .

But don't make the situation pushy,the dog will not respond if you all go overboard,this dogs routine means as much to it & as the plan your daughter has The dog is the one who has to deal with the major change

I personally wouldn't shut her in each night she needs to want to be there ,the worse case of being forced is she sleeps at the door waiting for it to open which isn't what your daughter wants

Buckley and Nunn. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

All our dogs have to be shut in BBJ's room to sleep with her.

They will readily hop on to her bed if I am not in bed. But the minute I go to bed they are of hers and on to mine.

Same here and as kids bedroom is opposite ours usually the constant scratching and barking at the door means I get up and let them out. They even prefer to sleep in their beds on our bedroom floor rather than in comfort on a doona on kids beds. One was my son's dog and she slept with him for 12 months before deciding to swap her allegiances.

Lol BB. When in our room she's locked in anyway. But miss eight got up this morning with the biggest smile. She got up to the toilet in the middle of the night closed the door behind her. Jazz whined till she came back and got up on the bed and went back to sleep. I checked on them at 8 this morning and jazz was on her back getting a belly rub both happy as and jazz got up to say good morning to me but went back to miss eight. Miss eight also asked to take over daily grooming, helping with bathing, and all feeding etc so hopefully there's a way. I'm going to step back.we'll also look at some ob classes for both of them :)

Thanks for the tips and advice. It's not something well ever do again, running on two puppies that aren't ours. Both kids knew they weren't likely to stay but kids and dogs, they fell in love, even though for the six months we told her she wasn't staying. It's too hard.

Thanks again guys!

The dog pictured below, Toby, won't sleep on the bed by choice. He gets his toy and runs to his pen every night. It's where his comfort is. But he's possibly the dumbest dog in the universe ! Even when he had a crate in our bedroom every night he still wouldn't sleep on the bed

Lol BB. When in our room she's locked in anyway. But miss eight got up this morning with the biggest smile. She got up to the toilet in the middle of the night closed the door behind her. Jazz whined till she came back and got up on the bed and went back to sleep. I checked on them at 8 this morning and jazz was on her back getting a belly rub both happy as and jazz got up to say good morning to me but went back to miss eight. Miss eight also asked to take over daily grooming, helping with bathing, and all feeding etc so hopefully there's a way. I'm going to step back.we'll also look at some ob classes for both of them :)

Thanks for the tips and advice. It's not something well ever do again, running on two puppies that aren't ours. Both kids knew they weren't likely to stay but kids and dogs, they fell in love, even though for the six months we told her she wasn't staying. It's too hard.

Thanks again guys!

Hope this continues.

Hint get some of GSD's 4EVER treats and Jazz will never leave the bed. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

1326263282[/url]' post='5672866']
1326245879[/url]' post='5672167']

Thanks again guys!

Hope this continues.

Hint get some of GSD's 4EVER treats and Jazz will never leave the bed. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

That's not bad idea I have bought any of those in ages. Tones used to love them at obedience :)