Travelling Around Australia With A Puppy

gem_photo

Hi guys, my OH and I have done a bit a travelling with our Chi - Bud in our caravan and haven't had any real problems. We are planning on hitting the road again this April. We do a fair bit of free camping and only go into caravan parks when we need to restock. If we want to do things where we cant take Bud we will look at putting him into a kennel.

Enjoy your trip!!! :)

In my experience oncew you are away from capital cities most caravan parks allow dogs - just not in their vans etc.

If you ring ahead you'll be fine.

Years ago we used to camp along the "travelling stock routes" where dogs were obvoiusly allowed. We did ring ahead and book and pay. It was only a couple of dollars a night and I think it was via Department of Lands - it was crown land. They also gave us a map of where they were. There no facilities, it was bring your own everything but great for dogs and often alongside rivers.

Have fun but yes be prepared to use kennels

We have traveled all over Australia with our dogs.....We travel with a Four wheel drive and caravan. We had/have three to four large dogs.......We have a crate under our double bed in our caravan and dog proof wire on the screens of the fly screen door. it has made our traveling very easy. when we could not find a caravan park that allowed dogs, we would try the Show grounds, which often also had showering facilities. as long as you did not stay too long they were great........One Showground was not sure, so we just said we had show dogs :)We also sometimes have to park in rest areas for some nights, but not often.........Our dogs love to travel and are very well behaved on lead and off. So enjoy your trip. I have always been amazed at how many dog friendly places there are. I also asked for a quick note from the caravan park owners, where we stayed and most were really happy to do that, to give our dogs references. it has really helped with going places with four dogs. Well behaved dogs is the most important........

Don't forget to have a contactable number on Badgers microchip. No point having just a mobile if it is out of range or home if no one is there.

Also don't forget to pack his vaccination paperwork etc ...

Oh ... and have fun :)

If you have internet and/or mobile access while you travel you could come on here and ask others if they know of any free, dog friendly places to camp...I know of a few down this way. Nothing like a bit of local knowledge.

I'm so jealous! It's good that you are doing this while you are relatively young, I'm sure you will have lots of fun, but how are you affording to just drop everything and go. I've often thought about doing this but could never work out how we would make a living while traveling.

I'm so jealous! It's good that you are doing this while you are relatively young, I'm sure you will have lots of fun, but how are you affording to just drop everything and go. I've often thought about doing this but could never work out how we would make a living while traveling.

Lots of saving over the past year, and no debt at all :) We own our truck & trailer outright, and don't have a mortgage cos we've always just rented.

Also we area planning to stop in Darwin around April and work for about 6 months, we have mates up there whose paddock we can camp in rent-free so that will give us the potential to save a decent amount to continue travelling further.

My only advice would be unseen hazzards, such as baits etc. I have a friend who recently lost her dog due to 1080 poisoning while traveling around OZ, they were at a dog friendly camping ground and the dog picked up something and that was the end of him, so sad. perhaps one of those wire muzzles for places you go that could be risky for puppy.

Be careful and have fun!