Chiro For Dogs

Nadsi

The breeder of my dog is a huge fan of chiro for dogs, but being a sceptic I really need to see it, or at least hear very convincing evidence, to believe it. Has anyone actually had their dog's quality of life improved by this? I have seen many dogs get by just fine without it, and I would never go to a chiro myself (I don't think it works, but I don't need it anyway and I'm not a fan of being handled by a stranger, haha).

I would hate do deprive my dog of something that would help him if he needed it, but I need convincing... I'm not trying to 'start something' mind you, I sincerely want advice on this, every opinion will be appreciated :)

All 3 of my dogs go to the chiro at least once every 4 months. Often he won't adjust them, but it gives me peace of mind that if there is anything out of shape they are getting the treatment they need before it causes anything major.

Sometimes the treatment is a chiropractic adjustment, other times it involves more massage and accupuncture, just depends on what the issue is (if anything).

I'm not convinced that all regular vets are good when it comes to structural/alignment issues and my dogs work too hard not to have check ups.

I don't think dog's 'need' chiropractics, but I do think that it is at least another piece in the puzzle that keeps them fit and healthy.

After my somewhat anxious dog (who used to spend every day in the office etc with me) had had a chiro visit .. workmates would ask me what I'd done to him..that he looked as though he was floating on a cloud , and was so laid back .. :) Most visible effects would last a few days .

The chiro would work on points around his shoulders/neck ..and Mitch would enjoy it , too :)

I'm not convinced that all regular vets are good when it comes to structural/alignment issues and my dogs work too hard not to have check ups.

Agreed.

A chiro's trained fingertips can tell them of subtle changes in muscles/joints- that's what they are used to , and it's a wonderful skill :)

I work with a Vet/Chiro, I see many success stories,

Some dog handlers travel some distance to have their service dogs treated to keep them in top form.

and I have had a few of my own treated with generally good results.

It is important to remember that there is not one magic cure all for all conditions. Different dogs/conditions respond better to some treatments than others.

I took both my dogs to the chiro for the first time last year after starting agility with my youngest. I was originally just going to take her, but I figured my older boy may as well come along too.

The chiro immediately said that my older boy was very sore in the back/hips (even though I had asked the vet about this and they said he was fine, just a bit stiff) and adjusted him and gave him a cartrophen shot. The next day he was like a different dog. I took him to the dog park and he ran around like a loon!

Could have just been the shot but for $50 every few months it's worth it to see my dog happy.

My dogs regularly see a good canine chiro. I don't think it's needed for every dog and many dogs live long happy lives without them. As my dogs are competing in sports, I want to make sure they're as physically sound as possible and this is one of the things I do to ensure that.

Apart from maintaining my dogs soundness I have been convinced of the good it's done several times. I brought a pup home that shortly after became very cow hocked. The hocks would nearly touch when I stacked him up!! After the first chiro visit the change was dramatic and after the second he was 'perfect' and has been since. I had an older dog that developed spondylosis and I am convinced that his several years of good quailty life after diagnosis was helped immensely by monthly chiro visits.

The key is finding a good one, there are a few in my area that I wouldn't go near. Word of mouth is the best way to find the good ones IMO.

Edited by FHRP

Can anyone recommend good ones in/around Brisbane? I have heard of Animal Options at Ormeau and a guy south of Brisbane but I can't remember his name...

My guys go to Rowan at Animal Options. He isn't the cheapest around and is VERY matter of fact with his assessments, but he's worked wonders for my dogs on a number of occasions. I also like that he is a qualified vet to go with it.

We also see Esther at Acupet who works out of Greencross vets at Mt Ommaney. She is a qualified vet as well, but focusses more on muscles.

Hmmm.... A chiro visit sounds interesting! Never seen one for myself, but I've seen an osteopath, she was WONDERFUL. So I can see the benefits in taking a dog, even just for a 'squizz' :laugh:

Might have to take my 10 year old BCx and 8 year old BC (who's recovering from a TTO for a ruptured cruciate.)

Though I don't know if I'd find one in/around Orange (central western NSW)

Can anyone recommend good ones in/around Brisbane? I have heard of Animal Options at Ormeau and a guy south of Brisbane but I can't remember his name...

My guys go to Rowan (Animal Options) - and he is the only vet my older boy actually likes. With his regular vet he is muzzled and can't wait to get out but with Rowan - he wants his attention.

My older boy had ongoing bladder issues and one session with Rowan and he fixed it.

Edited by Tilly

FHRP...unfortunately word of mouth isn't always reliable either

Nothing is 100% guaranteed GoldenGirl, sorry to hear it didn't work for you but with chiro's it's worked for me :) I'd much rather hear people's experiences and recommendations then just picking one out of the book, same with human chiro's.

Edited by FHRP

All 3 of my dogs go to the chiro at least once every 4 months. Often he won't adjust them, but it gives me peace of mind that if there is anything out of shape they are getting the treatment they need before it causes anything major.

Sometimes the treatment is a chiropractic adjustment, other times it involves more massage and accupuncture, just depends on what the issue is (if anything).

I don't think dog's 'need' chiropractics, but I do think that it is at least another piece in the puzzle that keeps them fit and healthy.

This ^^

All my show dogs see a chiro every few months for a check up or sooner if I have noticed something isn't quite right.

If one of the dogs is pacing or moving strangly, not putting their tail up, showing a weakness in their back they go to the Chiro and afterwards they move better, the tail is up etc.

So I do believe it works.

The breeder of my dog is a huge fan of chiro for dogs, but being a sceptic I really need to see it, or at least hear very convincing evidence, to believe it. Has anyone actually had their dog's quality of life improved by this? I have seen many dogs get by just fine without it, and I would never go to a chiro myself (I don't think it works, but I don't need it anyway and I'm not a fan of being handled by a stranger, haha).

I would hate do deprive my dog of something that would help him if he needed it, but I need convincing... I'm not trying to 'start something' mind you, I sincerely want advice on this, every opinion will be appreciated :)

going to a chiro with my first dog literally saved her life. I was ready to have her PTS but had her for another 5 or so years.

Hmmm.... A chiro visit sounds interesting! Never seen one for myself, but I've seen an osteopath, she was WONDERFUL. So I can see the benefits in taking a dog, even just for a 'squizz' :laugh:

Might have to take my 10 year old BCx and 8 year old BC (who's recovering from a TTO for a ruptured cruciate.)

Though I don't know if I'd find one in/around Orange (central western NSW)

PM Casima, she used to take her dogs to a chiro when she was living in Orange. I think he came out there once every few weeks or something like that. She will be able to tell you anyway.

All of our trialling and in-training dogs are seen by the chiro every 6 weeks or so. The older 2 are retired and don't tend to throw themselves out so they are only seen once or twice a year. Our chiro is also an exceptional diagnostic vet and it amazes me how much she can pick up simply by manipulating them. Delta has spondylosis and was at a point where I was considering early retirement from agility (she was 3). She is now 5 and running better than ever. Every time we go in she seems to be better than the last and she isn't having the constant pelvic issues that she had when she was younger (we suspected HD it was that bad).

The way I see it, our dogs are performance dogs and I equate them to elite athletes. An olympian is going to make use of every possible treatment to maintain peak fitness, so why shouldn't we do the same for our dogs? What we ask of them (mainly agility and flyball) takes such a toll on their bodies, it is our responsibility as owners to do everything we can to keep them in top shape.

Our dogs absolutely love her and fight over who gets to jump up on the table first (picture 7 border collies trying to squeeze onto the table at the same time).

And for an alternate view, we took a dog to a chiro and the dog was screaming in pain by the end of it.

Most of the recommended chiros tend to be vets... Maybe that's the difference

As a human Chiro and dog owner, I say there is a big difference!!! The training is a Masters of Veterinary Chiropractic and can be done by human Chiros and Vets.

My rottie has hip dysplasia and I took her to Vet Chiro and a Vet Physio. IT should go without saying that human and canine biomechanics differ greatly! Anything I may have even thought to do in order to treat my rottie myself turned out to be incorrect quite simply because humans are different to dogs! dah. Having witnessed how my Vet Chiro adjusts my rottie, even though I have been adjusting humans for 14 years, I simply wouldn't attempt what he did to her, without the training, just like I wouldn't expect a Vet Chiro to think they can adjust a human without human training.

So how did my rottie respond to Chiro with her hip dysplasia? extremely well, she would prance around like a princess after treatment! :) Does she get regular treatment? Not at this time, I only take her on an as need basis.