Chiro For Dogs

Nadsi

And for an alternate view, we took a dog to a chiro and the dog was screaming in pain by the end of it.

Most of the recommended chiros tend to be vets... Maybe that's the difference

As a human Chiro and dog owner, I say there is a big difference!!! The training is a Masters of Veterinary Chiropractic and can be done by human Chiros and Vets.

My rottie has hip dysplasia and I took her to Vet Chiro and a Vet Physio. IT should go without saying that human and canine biomechanics differ greatly! Anything I may have even thought to do in order to treat my rottie myself turned out to be incorrect quite simply because humans are different to dogs! dah. Having witnessed how my Vet Chiro adjusts my rottie, even though I have been adjusting humans for 14 years, I simply wouldn't attempt what he did to her, without the training, just like I wouldn't expect a Vet Chiro to think they can adjust a human without human training.

So how did my rottie respond to Chiro with her hip dysplasia? extremely well, she would prance around like a princess after treatment! :) Does she get regular treatment? Not at this time, I only take her on an as need basis.

Thank you for your response, I'm glad an actual chiro can offer there insight here! I have been put off chiro before because of friends who continually went and saw no improvement, despite thinking that there will be one (two years of headaches and using chiro as a cure? They were barking up the wrong tree...), but now I've seen these responses I feel a lot more comfortable about taking Maverick to get checked out. If it does no good, or hurts him, then I will know not to bother again, but I feel confident it will be beneficial if he actually has something wrong. I will let you all know how he goes :) the visit should be some time in the nex fortnight...

I also use Rowan at Animal Options and as others have said I trust him more than just any old Chiro because he is a licensed Veterinarian, he can lose his license if he mucks up. On top of that his work is amazing.

My dog has bilateral hip displaxia along with other skeletal issues and she comes out of Rowan's looking 100 times better.

When my younger dog hurt her neck, the vet I took her to (it was a Saturday afternoon so went to a emergency clinic) diagnosed her with panosteitis and when she continued to be in pain even through all the pain killers and looked sore in the neck I took her to see Jenny (also a Vet/Chriro) at Animal Options turns out she had jarred her neck/pinched a nerve badly and with 2 sessions she was fine.

Just like us dogs can throw their back out, injure their joints etc so I think as someone else mentioned having a good Chiro checkup is part of good overall health and most everyday vets would never pick up on the things they do or would rely on xrays etc. And I refer many many puppy people from my classes to see Rowan and all come back with fantastic reviews.

And for an alternate view, we took a dog to a chiro and the dog was screaming in pain by the end of it.

As a human Chiro and dog owner, I say there is a big difference!!! The training is a Masters of Veterinary Chiropractic and can be done by human Chiros and Vets.

My rottie has hip dysplasia and I took her to Vet Chiro and a Vet Physio. IT should go without saying that human and canine biomechanics differ greatly! Anything I may have even thought to do in order to treat my rottie myself turned out to be incorrect quite simply because humans are different to dogs! dah. Having witnessed how my Vet Chiro adjusts my rottie, even though I have been adjusting humans for 14 years, I simply wouldn't attempt what he did to her, without the training, just like I wouldn't expect a Vet Chiro to think they can adjust a human without human training.

So how did my rottie respond to Chiro with her hip dysplasia? extremely well, she would prance around like a princess after treatment! :) Does she get regular treatment? Not at this time, I only take her on an as need basis.

Sorry lol, I think you misunderstood what I said, I wasn't referring to vet chiro Vs human chiro, but more vet chiro Vs 'bloke who did a distance course and has no real training**'...bit like the registered breeder Vs BYB argument...they're doing the same thing, but one has ethics, and the other is just out there to make some cash on the side

**I do know of such a chiro, to be completely honest I don't know where he got his training, but he is NOT a vet, and considering that he didn't pick up a dogs severe HD or that there was even something wrong with her structure, I seriously doubt that he has any ability other than to count cash

Hmmm.... A chiro visit sounds interesting! Never seen one for myself, but I've seen an osteopath, she was WONDERFUL. So I can see the benefits in taking a dog, even just for a 'squizz' :laugh:

Might have to take my 10 year old BCx and 8 year old BC (who's recovering from a TTO for a ruptured cruciate.)

Though I don't know if I'd find one in/around Orange (central western NSW)

GAry Christo does it here

Sorry lol, I think you misunderstood what I said, I wasn't referring to vet chiro Vs human chiro, but more vet chiro Vs 'bloke who did a distance course and has no real training**'...bit like the registered breeder Vs BYB argument...they're doing the same thing, but one has ethics, and the other is just out there to make some cash on the side

**I do know of such a chiro, to be completely honest I don't know where he got his training, but he is NOT a vet, and considering that he didn't pick up a dogs severe HD or that there was even something wrong with her structure, I seriously doubt that he has any ability other than to count cash

Distance Course? LOL!!!!

Some of the best out there are self-taught / learn it from their father etc.

Need to put away your assumptions I think :)

You go to however is the best.....regardless of what certificate is on the wall.

Edited by MEH

Any recommendations for Sunshine Coast chiro's?

Toni Lynch practices at Montville or Maleny (I can never remember and always get in trouble).

She come very highly recommended by a number of friends. Again though, she is not 'just' a chiro and charges accordingly. Much gentler manner (with the owners, not the dogs) than Rowan as well.

Distance Course? LOL!!!!

Some of the best out there are self-taught / learn it from their father etc.

Need to put away your assumptions I think :)

You go to however is the best.....regardless of what certificate is on the wall.

No need to be so scornful, there are some excellent practitioners coming out of the Vet Chiro course who have been taught by very highly regarded people.

I have seen woeful results from both sides but I will not discredit all the self taught ones because of it.

An alternate view, I went to a Chiro and had shooting pains down my legs afterwards. Another Chiro left me with a "grinding" in my lower back. Not all human Chiros are equal, same for dogs.

I found a good chiro for me, and a good one for my dogs. They happen to be brothers :p.

I'm pretty biased because I've seen a chiropractor my whole life, but I don't know what I'd do without chiropractors. They're not all great, unfortunately.

My dog, and the other two I live with, are lucky enough to see a chiropractor regularly. The Westie (~10 years old) was not putting weight on one leg, and sometimes he was limping so badly that he had to be carried home. He had a few adjustments, and now he is weight-bearing and he runs around the park, never needs to be carried. He still sometimes favours the leg (like he'll put it down for one step, then not the next, and so on), but the improvement is great and he seems a lot happier.

Edited by cazxxz

Any recommendations for Sunshine Coast chiro's?

Toni Lynch practices at Montville or Maleny (I can never remember and always get in trouble).

She come very highly recommended by a number of friends. Again though, she is not 'just' a chiro and charges accordingly. Much gentler manner (with the owners, not the dogs) than Rowan as well.

Thank you :)