Comfortis - Chewable Flea Control

SheWolf

Hi All,

My pack (who very, very rarely) get fleas, seem to have an infestation at the moment, we are on holidays and have been trekking out to lots of rivers and dense scrub areas, so it is to be expected I guess.

Two days ago I tried the new 'Comfortis' monthly chewable flea treatment and all 3 dogs have had an awful reaction, all vomiting for a full day and really 'off colour', lethargic and not their usual selfs. Today being day 3 they seem to be back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced an adverse reaction in their dogs to this medication? I certainly will not be using it again.

:confused:

Whoooaaaa, that's so weird. Atlas was on Comfortis (and still is as far as I know), and Luuka has been since she was big enough too and they've never had any kind of reaction apart from never, ever having any fleas. How bizarre, SheWolf, your poor puplets :(

Vomiting is a known side effect of the medication, though it is usually soon after the medication is given and doesn't make them ill. Is there anything else common to the 3 dogs that could cause vomiting (gorging on food, scavenging, trip to the beach etc)?

If you're unhappy with the product, I would suggest that you speak to the manufacturer so that they can record adverse reactions.

I believe it has to be given with food..did you do this. Otherwise it can react.

Yes Sheena, it was given with their evening meal. It is really strange as all 3 were vomiting and unwell, the only common factor was the meds.

Our old boy 'Jacka' has a cast iron constitution, he often (as gross as this sounds) catches and eats birds whole - in a single gulp!, despite being very well fed, he never regurgitates then, so it is perplexing.

Started using it on mine (toy breeds)after flea outbreak last year. Must admit I only use it during the warmer months so they are not on it all year - started them back on it in November with no adverse effects to date.

SW, I'm glad you posted. I was considering the pros and cons of giving Comfortis to my 2 tibbies. I've hesitated because one has a tendency to food intolerance.....she does wonderfully well on a natural diet, but not on most processed food. I figured an ingested flea treatment might be pushing things a bit for her.

Looks like I might have to stick with the external treatments.

Comfortis is the only thing that works for my dogs especially the one with Flea Allergy Dermatitis. I have never noticed mine get sick from it (both are over 25kgs though) and I only have to re do them maybe once every 2 - 3 months (when I see fleas coming back).

In saying this maybe there was a bad batch as 2 of my friends did their 4 dogs a week ago and 3 of their dogs seemed a bit off colour for a few days after but nothing major.

OT Shewolf, but did you add that extra member? forgot what thread it was to go and check. :D

Hi Juice,

He actually went to Fetching Dogs rescue. :thumbsup: He was a nice lad, still pretty much a pup. I took 'The Pack' out to me him last week at Renbury, he was good; no aggression, just still a pup so pretty 'jumpy and excitable'. He was mouthing at 'Fat Flea' and she looked at him as if to say 'you better learn your place boy'! lol. She then dismissed him accordingly. :rofl:

He will rehome pretty quickly as he is a good looker, young and full of beans.

Hubby was a tad relieved as he thinks 3.5 dogs is quite sufficient for now.

Edited by SheWolf