Getting Started

I am after as much advice as I can get :)

I would like to get into showing as a hobby. But have no idea where to start :confused: I know I'll have to find the right dog but I just don't know how one goes about getting in. I have been to a couple of shows and it seems like something I would enjoy to do. I plan on going to a few more to watch again as well. But I have no idea how to find the right dog, find a mentor or anything? :o

So any information at this point will be quite useful :thumbsup:

Start by researching you breed, get to know inside and out before you buy one, read up on genetical disorders, temperment issues it may have and is it suitable for your family and lifestyle.

While in research stage talk to breeders, most breeders of your dog will become mentors in someway.

When visiting shows what people in the ring how they, walk, dress, and present their dog.

Finding the right dog can be hard and time consuming, not everyone allows their dogs out to new people or they limited register all their litters, but again talking to some breeders and they may allow you to take on a dog under co-ownership (which has its pros & cons)

Once you have your dog you should by now have some minimal grooming aids, products and tools.

When you start showing dont expect to win straight away and get disheartened, some dogs are born winners and some mature into winners.

And most importantly, dont get stuck on the Rumour Train... It will take you for a ride and by time you get off you could be worse then ware..

Good luck and hope you have fun with your chosen breed :)

Sometimes you will find mentors in your breed, even if your breeder can't help due to distance or whatever.

My first show dog came from interstate and I was clueless when I started to show her, but plenty of people helped and we soon figured it out. She didn't win anything but she was a great dog to learn with as she was extremely well behaved and just wanted to please me. I showed her until recently as I loved being at a dog show with her, despite the fact that I knew she'd never win a class let alone a challenge.

I am now showing a boy and he's lovely but very naughty, much more of a handful than my gorgeous girl, but he's winning classes, he's won a class in group, puppy in show at a members comp, and now that he's maturing he's winning challenges and gathering points towards his title.

I doubt I'd have coped so well with him of he'd been my first show dog though!

I have never had a mentor but have made some wonderful friends in the breed who've helped me enormously at shows.

Have you read through the pinned topic at the top of the forum? There was also a newbies thread for a while.

If your state is QLD, call the DogsQLD office and talk to them too. I am pretty sure they have good training opportunities up there.

Is it poodles you want to show? Perhaps someone here can suggest someone up there.

I had been pretty set on getting a standard poodle but then I thought of the grooming aspect and I don't think it's a good choice to start off with. I'm fine washing, brushing and blow drying. But I have no idea how to groom them :o So I am looking at a couple of breeds: Aussie Shepherd, Samoyed & Japanese Spitz. What are these dogs like to groom? I know to expect shedding but I currently have a husky so that I can handle :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samoyeds in QLD are not common unfortuanatly. Although Dog Nerd on here is in QLD and has just started showing her Samoyed. Maybe she would be worth PMing so you guys could meet up at a show and she could tell you about the breed?

Edited by Bjelkier

Samoyeds in QLD are not common unfortuanatly. Although Dog Nerd on here is in QLD and has just started showing her Samoyed. Maybe she would be worth PMing so you guys could meet up at a show and she could tell you about the breed?

She PMd me last night and is attending a show next weekend :thumbsup: I should be able to go as I was looking at going to that show to have a look anyway so it works out good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussie Shepherds are very easy to groom and prepare for a show, and there are some excellent Aussie people in Qld.

Basically, they need their paws and hocks trimmed neatly and the fluff behind their ears trimmed. If they're a natural bob they might need their tail bob trimmed but that's all.

For a show, mine get a thorough bath and blow dry the day before, then on the day of the show, a spot clean and a spritz with water to fluff the coat up. You can use chalk on their whites, but I don't bother with too much of that as it doesn't make much of a difference to my boy.

Coat maintenance to keep it clean and in good condition is essential, and also to keep up with the trimming so it doesn't need doing the morning of a show. But really, it's quick and easy and if we're not showing for a few weeks he gets a break from regular baths.

Edited by Gayle.

You have been given some great advice, I was like you and didn't have a clue but did know which breed I wanted.

I went along to a show at Durack and introduced myself to the Qld Newfoundland breeder. That lead to a friendship that has now spanned seven years including helping her take six Newfoundlands to Adelaide and Sydney for shows.

I now have my own Newf who is nine months old and we have been to about five shows and have gained our first points toward his championship. My breeder is not going to the shows at the moment but I haven't had any problem getting advice from people at the show.I do have a mentor that is in another state but I ring her when I have any questions.

I know a Qld breeder of Samoyed's and yes they are a lot of work grooming them for the show ring.

I am showing my Newfoundland at Durack on the 4th and 18th of February, both shows start at 4pm you are welcome to come and have a chat. If Denise ( that breeds samoyed's ) is there I can introduce you to her, her daughter also shows poodles.

We have seven shows in March so if you can't make February you might be able to get to one of those.

It is lots of fun, I keep trying to remind myself of that when my nerves take over as I enter the ring. :(

You have been given some great advice, I was like you and didn't have a clue but did know which breed I wanted.

I went along to a show at Durack and introduced myself to the Qld Newfoundland breeder. That lead to a friendship that has now spanned seven years including helping her take six Newfoundlands to Adelaide and Sydney for shows.

I now have my own Newf who is nine months old and we have been to about five shows and have gained our first points toward his championship. My breeder is not going to the shows at the moment but I haven't had any problem getting advice from people at the show.I do have a mentor that is in another state but I ring her when I have any questions.

I know a Qld breeder of Samoyed's and yes they are a lot of work grooming them for the show ring.

I am showing my Newfoundland at Durack on the 4th and 18th of February, both shows start at 4pm you are welcome to come and have a chat. If Denise ( that breeds samoyed's ) is there I can introduce you to her, her daughter also shows poodles.

We have seven shows in March so if you can't make February you might be able to get to one of those.

It is lots of fun, I keep trying to remind myself of that when my nerves take over as I enter the ring. :(

Thanks very much for that it's good to hear how people started. I'm sure I can attend one of those 2 shows in Durack :thumbsup: It will be good to be at a show and have someone to talk to about it and get some more info!