Vet Pleads For Landlords To Welcome Pets

Blonde_Phoenix

It is stereotyping to suggest that a 'skippy' would make a better tenant.

Is that directed at me? If so, I didnt suggest skippies make better tenants. I was giving an example of what landlords can do with applications after it was suggested they shouldnt have the right to knock anyone back when it comes to living in their investment properties.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think landlords should have the right to say who or what you have in the home as long as its legal.

After working 3 jobs at once to save to afford my investment property I think I have every right to say what potential tennants have in MY home.

Personally I really like the idea of a pet bond but think it should be more in the vacinity of $1000-$2000 to cover potenital damages.

We had a tenant who fell behind in her rent by the time she was evicted (so that used up the bond)and discovered she had 2 large dogs (which being nice - never again) which we said were fine to stay so long as she repaired any damaged done by them. When she moved out the dogs had done almost $2500 worth of damage :(

I think if landlords are forced to accept tenants with animals then perhaps there may be a few less rental properties available.

I dont think landlords should have the right to say who or what you have in the home as long as its legal.

That's hilarious. The person paying the mortgage has every right to be given applications by the property manager and say No, No, No, No...this one looks good - young professional non smoking skippy couple with no children and no animals. Accept it.

The more demands that are placed on investment owners, the faster they'll ditch their investment properties and sink their money into something else. Then tenants will really have something to complain about.

And then let's see them complain there's nothing available to rent...

I've had tenants where just one of the parents earnt more than I did, so I was surprised they didn't purchase their own. I worked hard and saved hard, but it's not impossible. Turns out when I went to do a repair on something, their kids had EVERY toy they ever wanted, the house was PACKED and looked horrid. Each to their own, I just rent it out, I don't dictate how someone should live.

I currently rent to a family with 4 kids and an ACD - rent is paid, and PM says property is in good order, though I'm scant to believe that myself as I am yet to find a PM I can trust sufficiently.

Hey you guys that are landlords, does a pet resume sway you at all, from people who actually do stuff with their dogs?

YES. Panto has one... my friends think it's hilarious, then they sheepishly ask if they can copy it because they would like to move somewhere pet friendly :laugh:

In my opinion, I don't think tenants should be forced to disclose whether or not they have pets. This would end any discrimination. Instead, it should be a simple matter of 'you break it, you pay for it' regardless of pet status.

Tenants not being able to find a rental property that allows pets accounts for an enormous number of shelter surrenders.

That's a total load of BS. It's tenants not prioritising things in the right order - like living a little further away or looking just that bit harder. It's not not being able to find, it's not trying hard enough. Unless it's someone with health issues that needs to be very close to a particular hospital (or other such circumstance), it's not that hard. And if its because they've got a bad credit/rental history, and get knocked back from the pet friendly rentals, then that's the reason, and not because there isn't pet friendly rentals available.

This is wrong in my opinion. I work full time in the city and the longer I spend away from my pets the more likely they are to cause problems, and yet the irony is that it's much harder to get a rental close to the city that allows pets. I have no credit history problems, great references for me, my partner and the dog and we earn decent money. But finding a rental was a horrible and very stressful process and I truly hope that we have found somewhere to buy before we next have to move.

I don't think people should have to disclose pets or children, but I do think references are extremely important.

I think wrong is the wrong word to use. I am not disagreeing with you and am in the same position looking for somewhere - but that's my point - I may not be able to find somewhere as close to the city as I want, nor as affordable, the right amount of space - but there are scenarios that are doable, but would require sacrifices. My point is the priority is not giving up your pet, such as you have demonstrated. It IS hard work. We are spending about an hour a day looking, spreadsheeting and making calls, and that's before any inspections. And I too would rather buy/build before having to move again. I am saying most people give up far too easily without trying hard enough, given the city that they want to live in. I work harder at finding the right rental than I do trying to find the right tenant, and my current tenants have 4 kids and a dog.

What I did have a problem with, was my property manager strongly advising me not to allow pets because of the horrible messes they've had to clean up. I had strongly wanted to say 'pet friendly upon application'. Our compromise was not to mention pets at all, and would consider them on a per application basis.

I hope anyone saying they've had difficulty in finding something are also checking out anything that doesnt mention pets at all in their ad, and walking around real estate agents, meeting property managers and talking to them to see what they have coming up. A property manager meeting a potential good tenant will be letting them know first up if they have something, because it saves them the work of doing open houses if they don't have to - why bother doing an open house if you have the right tenant already, that you know is going to pay the rent?

I don't think people should have to disclose pets or children, but I do think references are extremely important.

This is self-contradictory. If you don't have to disclose, why bother with references?

Also, note that to a property manager, 'references' are just a slightly extended credit check. I can't remember the details in WA, and they probably vary by state, but as I remember it, if you're not explicitly blacklisted and you've paid on time, the reference check will come out clean.

I don't know if there are any property managers that read this forum. If there are, I'd love to hear how you handle the 'pet' thing.

This is my story . . . .I have been renting the same premises for SIX years.I have 1 dog and two indoor cats as well as the occasional foster dog.Rent is paid on time and in advance.There have NEVER been any issues with the pets and what they damage if anything,I repair.

Now the landlord is not too keen on maintenance . ..the bathroom ceiling has mould and is made of foam so he wont clean or replace etc etc.I am installing ceiling fans in bedroom and lounge at my cost this week and changing a damaged door (not damaged by me,just old and needs replacing).

I recently asked for a two year lease and it arrived in the mail as promised yet the Pet Clause had been removed.I rang the agent to find out why and this was the response . . . .The landlord is going to turn a bling eye to your pets but wont have it in writing that he has approved them being there.I was aghast! They offered no other explanation and the decision is firm so I can sign the lease with a $20 per week rent increase and have no legal protection to keep my pets or move.Yet I am not even worthy of an explanation . . . .

I contacted Tenants NSW and Fair Trading and they were baffled by it.

i WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM A PROPERTY MANAGER OUT THERE WHY THEY HAVE ACCEPTED AND CONDONED A CLIENT/LANDLORD OF THEIRS DOING THIS . . .!!!!

I can see both sides. In a perfect world with perfect tenants there would be no need to discriminate against people with pets but unfortunately we don’t live in a perfect world and we are all judged but the worst in our ‘group’ and that goes for all aspects of life. I can completely understand landlords wanting to ‘protect’ their property by not allowing animals, but the reality is they are missing out on excellent tenants because of this.

As a tenant it’s very hard to find a place which allows pets. I currently have a wonderful property with a big back yard and that allows my pets but we are planning to move to Melbourne in the future and it worries me about finding another rental, but in the end I will do what ever is required, including moving further out to find a suitable property as they are my family and I will not let them go. I think I am an excellent tenant as we pay 6 weeks rent in advance, take pride in ‘our’ house and ensure it is kept clean & tidy. We also keep up the general maintenance of the property including fixing things around the house which we don’t have to do but if I owned the property I would do it myself so why not for a rental? Some renters feel that they shouldn’t have to maintain the property at all and that it is the owner’s responsibility (which mostly it is) but can’t they see they are cutting off their nose in spite of their face? If something is broken, fix it. I keep the yards tidy because I have pride in ‘my’ house and like them to be neat & clean for my enjoyment. I don’t want to live in a damaged property so I ensure I look after it. Honestly it really is common sense but I know many renters don’t share my view on this.

I can’t wait to purchase our own place so I no longer need to worry about real estate agents and rent inspections but I am very grateful that there are rental properties as if there wasn’t I would still be living at home (shudder at the thought!) ;)

ETA: I also knew that buy getting animals the availability of rentals to me would be limited and I may need to make scarifices as to where I live and the quality of the house. This is a sacrfice I am happy to make as my pets provide me with endless enjoyment and mean the world to me.

Edited by Bear&Duke

Guest donatella

I think a lot of it is location location location. I can rent a brand new 4 bedroom house 30 mins from the city and have a backyard with whatever sized dog I want for $350 a week yet if I live closer to the city finding somewhere to take pets is limited and having a smaller dog seems to put me ahead of the bigger dog owners (even though most bigger dogs would have far more manners then her at the moment).

It's all about supply and demand, they're more likely to take pets in more suburban areas further out from the bigger city centres.

Property managers play a huge role here. If anyone wants to change the situation, I'd suggest they look into better ways for the landlord who likes dogs to end out renting only to responsible pet owners.

I have an axe to grind here. I will never forgive the property manager who rented my place out to the nutcase who burned my house down -- with his dog inside. He clalimed that Jennifer Lopez told him to do it . . . also, apparently, he did it to get rid of 'evil spirits' who lived in the house. After the fact I learned that various neighbours had complained about the guy, but the property manager didn't see fit to pass the complaints on to me. For this I pay 10%, ie, $30/week?

Property managers play a huge role here. If anyone wants to change the situation, I'd suggest they look into better ways for the landlord who likes dogs to end out renting only to responsible pet owners.

I have an axe to grind here. I will never forgive the property manager who rented my place out to the nutcase who burned my house down -- with his dog inside. He clalimed that Jennifer Lopez told him to do it . . . also, apparently, he did it to get rid of 'evil spirits' who lived in the house. After the fact I learned that various neighbours had complained about the guy, but the property manager didn't see fit to pass the complaints on to me. For this I pay 10%, ie, $30/week?

what a horrid situation! I've had to blast my PM for being lazy and turning a blind eye too. At one point I had tenants move out and I was not informed?!? Just no money to help pay the mortgage so I had to call up and ask. Do they think we're made of money?!

Yes, the PMs do play a big role. Unfortunately they don't get paid much for the work they do as simple as it may be, because it's more or less a starting (ish) role in a real estate agency, hence there is little respect for the role/job from both sides.

I hope anyone saying they've had difficulty in finding something are also checking out anything that doesnt mention pets at all in their ad, and walking around real estate agents, meeting property managers and talking to them to see what they have coming up. A property manager meeting a potential good tenant will be letting them know first up if they have something, because it saves them the work of doing open houses if they don't have to - why bother doing an open house if you have the right tenant already, that you know is going to pay the rent?

We were very fortunate to find a small property management agency and got to know the property manager. Once she approved our application- she showed us through a number of potential houses and then let us decide which one best suited us- (pending approval from owner of course)

I hope it works out well for us next time :)

We were very fortunate to find a small property management agency and got to know the property manager. Once she approved our application- she showed us through a number of potential houses and then let us decide which one best suited us- (pending approval from owner of course)

I hope it works out well for us next time :)

:thumbsup: good work!!