Personal Protection Gsds

Hey everyone,

I havent posted here for a while, but i just wanted to ask people on their experiences here in Australia with PP dogs.

Personally i am a big fan of the Czech dogs that excel in this field, particularly my favourite line would be the alpinebase/Jinopo dogs. Now i am still learning alot about this field, and the characteristics of dogs that stand out.

I am a big fan of the old style german shepherd working lines who are as true to what the founder wanted them to be.

So i am wanting to hear from people who have experience or just interest in this field and their advice on finding a breeder in Australia, and also a trainer/mentor that is recommended here in Australia.

Thanks everyone and i cant wait to hear from everyone

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to your nearest Schutzhund club, meet as many dogs as you can. If this is your first, an adult dog might be a far less steep learning curve.

Aidan2, there is a difference between a dog bred for shutzhund, and a dog for PP. Sport dogs have very high prey drives. While for PP, you would be looking at a dog with moderate prey drive but also civilian drive. The ratio most PP handlers look for is a ratio of 60/40 with the 60% being civilian drive. Ofcourse the ratio differs between handlers but you get my idea. If you dont agree i would love to hear your opinion on this issue :smile:

Robbie

Go to your nearest Schutzhund club, meet as many dogs as you can. If this is your first, an adult dog might be a far less steep learning curve.

Aidan2, there is a difference between a dog bred for shutzhund, and a dog for PP. Sport dogs have very high prey drives. While for PP, you would be looking at a dog with moderate prey drive but also civilian drive. The ratio most PP handlers look for is a ratio of 60/40 with the 60% being civilian drive. Ofcourse the ratio differs between handlers but you get my idea. If you dont agree i would love to hear your opinion on this issue :)

Robbie

I think you'll find a range of opinions on this, but at the end of the day they are all coming from the same kennels in this country, so if you want to meet as many working line GSDs as you can - a Schutzhund club is a good place to start.

I had a bitch from East German lines, her littermates all went to working homes and her lines were intended for work, not sport. But you can guess what was at the end of all those names on her pedigree :) If this dog will be the first you train, then a bit more prey-drive won't hurt you so long as the dog is of sound temperament.

While for PP, you would be looking at a dog with moderate prey drive but also civilian drive. The ratio most PP handlers look for is a ratio of 60/40 with the 60% being civilian drive.

Civilian Drive?

Over the years, I've seen the definition of a dog's drive becoming split from a couple into several. But I've not heard of "Civilian Drive". Is this a defence drive in response to the perception of a threat from a person?

If not, would someone mind explaining that to me please?

I love protection training. It is not necessarily work that I want to do (hhhmmm .... or maybe it is, but too stifling to do here in Victoria, with all our binding and suffocating laws), but I think it is a fascinating field of training that brings out raw drive and let's us see and learn those drives and triggers for those drives at a more basal level than most or any other type of training would do. On the flip and inseparable side of the coin, I also think it is the field of training where the understanding of those drives and triggers at a basal level is an absolute necessity for a dog to be properly trained in Protection work.

Just my less than an expert opinion. :)

Edited by Erny

Civil drive basically relates to the dog being able to focus on the man and not the equipment. Relates to defence/fight drive.

Spot on :) Im in Sydney :)Oh btw Jeff, ive been trying to find a way to contact you but couldnt. Nekbet gave me a heads up on the people that i should contact in regards to dogs we are talking about. And someone mentioned Schutzhund. I am not against that idea and would love to go, but i dont know where and how. Alot of PP dogs are also titled in SchH and IPO.

The Schutzhund clubs in Sydney don't have a great reputation (there is only one that I know of.) They don't compete in anything..

So you unfortunately wont really find a club around here. Ive been looking since I got my boy. I would love to do Schutzhund but no clubs to work with.

Thanks alot for the links Jeff. Atm i want to start looking at potential puppies, but i got no clue where to start :confused: . I want a breeder that questions me about everything i want to do with the puppy, so they can match the puppy to my needs. I dont want to go to a breeder, and have them say 'Oh pick whatever you want', pay, and walk out of there. I am prepared to do the hard yards, but i will need the correct pup to work with. Especially that now i am doing Policing, and my aim is to get into the Dog Unit someday :) So i would love a pup i can work with and get to know everything about these lines of amazing dogs.

Jeff, those are the two i found as well. I absolutely love the dogs produced by Beychief. I am defenitely going to look into it further,and in regards to the ShH Club, I will try to get in contact with Sydney Sport Dog Club. I was just wondering if anyone on this site has working line GSDs and would be able to post up some pics :)

Jeff, those are the two i found as well. I absolutely love the dogs produced by Beychief. I am defenitely going to look into it further,and in regards to the ShH Club, I will try to get in contact with Sydney Sport Dog Club. I was just wondering if anyone on this site has working line GSDs and would be able to post up some pics :)

My boy is from beychief :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Christine has some beautiful dogs and really knows her stuff. :D

My boys still a baby (hes almost 6 months now) but here are some photos for you

6520444871_ff1e2d38e6.jpg

Roscoe 8 weeks by lovemesideways, on Flickr

6469996049_be664bd38c.jpg

Roscoe at 16 Weeks by lovemesideways, on Flickr

6520477345_babff24798.jpg

Roscoe 18 weeks by lovemesideways, on Flickr

6610630195_42b1d027b9.jpg

BALL!!! by lovemesideways, on Flickr

Edited by lovemesideways

I'm not sure how active Waratah Sport Dog club is anymore. I went there a few times to watch and get some obedience advice but that was a few years ago, I also watched a couple of trials there.

The prey/defence/civil discussion is interesting. One of my friends who does security wanted to borrow some agility equipment and we were discussing dog training. She has GSDs and prefers not to have a lot of prey drive as she finds it hard to live with, I know my GSDs breeder is the same (they are friends). Whereas from a sports point of view, I would like to have plenty of prey drive. Did not know all of this when I got my GSD though :laugh:

Not much more to add but some photos for you anyway of my old boy Krueger :) (2006-2008)

Kurt122.jpg

Kurt126.jpg

sure you can't be swayed by one of these :laugh: ...

DSC_0095.jpg

If this is your first, an adult dog might be a far less steep learning curve.

I wouldnt take anyone elses adult dog, there are too many with problems for sale already or not up to scratch. If you do want a really high quality adult you would be paying a lot more then for a pup and you miss out on a lot of the fun of raising a working pup. Under a good trainer/club people are better off with a pup then an adult. We all have to learn somehow.

Edited by Nekhbet