A Celebration Of My Beautiful Girl, Dusty.

Gayle.

She was my first show dog, but didn't like being shown so she's now retired. We tried obedience and she didn't like that either, so we gave herding a whirl and she wasn't keen on the sheep, the mud, the smell......etc. etc. So now she's a full-time princess and supermodel, and part time navigator and guard of the car. She loves coming on drives and she especially loves coming on photoshoots with me.

She is Dusty (Tuscamada Tahoe Rose), she's 4 years old and I think she's awesome.

dustykilcunda2.jpg

dfy2.jpg

princess.jpg

dfloor1.jpg

dfy1.jpg

She would get along with Safire- Princess and ruler of all Kelpies (so long as she can sit in her crate and supervise everyone else working hard and no one shakes close to her and spatters her with mud!)

Dusty is gorgeous :love: I love the picture on the bench!

Edited by Jumabaar

Oh Gayle she is beautiful.I love the pic on the bench. :)

That pic is Miss September in the Australian Shepherd Club of Victoria's 2012 calendar, and I heard on the grapevine that at the meeting where they voted on the pics to go in the calendar, that photo was a unanimous choice.

Edited by Gayle.

She's gorgeous!! It's so great that you tried so many things with her and when you realised she didn't enjoy them, were happy to just let her be a princess. :)

What I found with Dusty, after trying various things, is that she doesn't like to be the centre of attention.......in the show ring, she'd slink around with her head down, not wanting anyone to look at her. In the obedience ring, she'd try and hide behind my legs so the judge didn't notice her. At herding, she wanted to be right by my side rather than the other side of the sheep where the dog is supposed to be, then she'd cringe when the sheep came near her and pick her paws up daintily as she picked her way around the mud.

Now, she's in her element. She stays indoors all day, snoozes on the couch and has nanna naps with me on the weekends, and just loves being the centre of MY world. And tha't just about perfect for both of us.

She would get along with Safire- Princess and ruler of all Kelpies (so long as she can sit in her crate and supervise everyone else working hard and no one shakes close to her and spatters her with mud!)

Every home full of working dogs needs a princess. They make even the laziest dog look like a worker bee! I love the sound of Safire, I reckon her and Dusty could probably share a palace together as long as they could have a separate wing, each with their own turret.

Every home full of working dogs needs a princess. They make even the laziest dog look like a worker bee! I love the sound of Safire, I reckon her and Dusty could probably share a palace together as long as they could have a separate wing, each with their own turret.

Totally- she tried flyball, agility, herding and obedience. And she managed to worm her way out of every restraint (fences, harness collar etc) and either end up watching from the car or squirming into someones crate- hers, or the poor cavalier (who was still resident in the crate tiny tiny crate) if its open then it is clearly an invitation for the Princess. She loooooooves hopping in the car and going places..... Not so much the doing. She is a great cuddle pot too!!

I am glad someone understands- most people just say I should stop being lazy and train her, or that she is not a very good kelpie- I happen to think she is just very very very smart and knows what she wants!

She also likes to paw dogs on the head- looks so regal (and condescending :rofl:)

Totally- she tried flyball, agility, herding and obedience. And she managed to worm her way out of every restraint (fences, harness collar etc) and either end up watching from the car or squirming into someones crate- hers, or the poor cavalier (who was still resident in the crate tiny tiny crate) if its open then it is clearly an invitation for the Princess. She loooooooves hopping in the car and going places..... Not so much the doing. She is a great cuddle pot too!!

I am glad someone understands- most people just say I should stop being lazy and train her, or that she is not a very good kelpie- I happen to think she is just very very very smart and knows what she wants!

She also likes to paw dogs on the head- looks so regal (and condescending :rofl:)

When it comes down to it, they really are the easiest of dogs to live with. Dusty is demanding only of my pats and cuddles, she has no desire to be doing anything particularly active, and if she doesn't get walked for a few days/weeks/months then she doesn't care. She's never destroyed anything in her life, and not being exercised doesn't turn her into a she-devil. She is extraordinarily well-behaved and would rather die than do something naughty.

She has a very expressive face and you can usually read her feelings on her face. I tried to teach her some tricks.....we got "touch" down pat, she can now touch her nose to my hand; she can walk backwards, although what use that's going to be I have no idea. Then I tried to teach her to roll over. She couldn't see the point and her whole facial expression read "This is bloody stupid, I can do this whenever I feel like it without you telling me to!" So we abandoned that trick.