Do You Trust People Your Dog Dosent Like?

jess live die

i was reading a quote off a breeders newletter

If your bully doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either."

and got me thinking about past dogs my dad had and as soon as his dogs showed signs of not liking someone dad never trusted them

so im wondering if your dog dosent like someone do u seace something isnt right or do you try to put your dogs feelings aside?

My older dog really only likes two things- his bed and ham.

If I used him to judge people, I'd be a very lonely person- unless more people carried ham in their pockets.

What I think a lot of people are actually seeing when their dog "doesn't like" someone is more the dog reacting to body language. Someone who doesn't like dogs or is scared of them might not get a great reaction from the dog but it doesn't mean there's necessarily anything dodgy going on with them.

I'm sure both mine, but especially Weez, pick up on people I'm uneasy about.

What I think a lot of people are actually seeing when their dog "doesn't like" someone is more the dog reacting to body language. Someone who doesn't like dogs or is scared of them might not get a great reaction from the dog but it doesn't mean there's necessarily anything dodgy going on with them.

So reading between the lines here, perhaps I just don't trust people that don't like dogs...

:D

Edited by Weasels

I take my dog's judgement with a grain of salt.

A dog might possibly pick up on the body language of a violent person, but the sort of slime I've been hurt most by is the white collar type .. . . and the average cheating charmer is able to fool a dog as well as they fool a human.

I find dogs pick up on cultural differences. A person who eats lots of garlic may smell strange and provoke a hostile dog reaction. Most of the crew who prune and harvest in my vineyard are Mexican. The dogs pick some workers to like and others to dislike. I'm sure it signifies something . . . but whether it's the way the people react to dogs or what they had for breakfast, or whether the person gives them choice tidbits at lunch break is beyond me.

My mother once had a dog who loved my brother . . . but was terrified of him if he a) had a beard, b) wore a hat, or c) had a backpack on.

Edited by sandgrubber

I take my dog's judgement with a grain of salt.

A dog might possibly pick up on the body language of a violent person, but the sort of slime I've been hurt most by is the white collar type .. . . and the average cheating charmer is able to fool a dog as well as they fool a human.

I find dogs pick up on cultural differences. A person who eats lots of garlic may smell strange and provoke a hostile dog reaction. Most of the crew who prune and harvest in my vineyard are Mexican. The dogs pick some workers to like and others to dislike. I'm sure it signifies something . . . but whether it's the way the people react to dogs or what they had for breakfast, or whether the person gives them choice tidbits at lunch break is beyond me.

My mother once had a dog who loved my brother . . . but was terrified of him if he a) had a beard, b) wore a hat, or c) had a backpack on.

I agree about foods and smells but I think a persons body language and how comfortable around dogs they are has alot to do with it.

A person that is a player and sucks at relationships isn't necessarily the type of person your dog won't like, chances are the dog will be charmed by this type of ar$*H@le too! :(

But I did have a Lhasa Apso that really didn't like an aquaintence who kept dropping in at our place after having met at a few parties once. Turned out this guy was not one you wanted to add to your circle of friends.

Edited by LizT

I think it's the other way around.

I'm sure both mine, but especially Weez, pick up on people I'm uneasy about.

Same with us. Ollie dog was usually only wary around people that I was not comfortable with.

I do think that dogs are perceptive though. All the years we had him there was only one kid that used to come here that he would just watch and have nothing to do with.

That kid (now a 26 year old man) has just been sentenced to 15 years in prison for trying to kill someone.

Guest lavendergirl

Someone at work once said to me "never trust someone who doesn't like cats". This statement makes about as much sense as that.

There has only been a couple of dogs, whos opinion I would have paid any attention too. One because she did like near anyone...especially those holding the food, but she had some rather interesting exceptions and quite openly disliked these people. Not a good look when your openly friendly dog suddenly goes all stiff and growly when she hears someone's voice. :o

Dory is not a very good guide. In fact, I reckon she often does take her cue from me. I've noticed if I'm in a frazzled, peed off state and I want people to just go the hell away from me...Dory reflects that. I tell people to not go near her when I'm like that. a) Cos I'm already annoyed. and b) What I don't say because I'm trying to be polite, Dory will tell you in a very impolite fashion.

Jindi who is scared of everyone I ignore. Henschke the male, has at times picked up when I've been a bit nervous if a guy has come to the house when I'm alone. He once stood between me and a tradesman and growled. At the time I didn't react (neither reprimand nor a pat), but he has only done that the once. Generally with men, he's a bit funny with them, even our friends, so I wouldn't take his reaction on board either.

Kyojin has excellent stranger danger awareness. But in terms of people he's actually met, there's only been one stand out who he hated. And that is because he picked up on both my husband and I really disliking the guy.

There has only ever been one person my dog didn't like, he generally loves every other person he meets, and because of that, yes I do trust his instinct on this particular woman to a degree.

A few months ago we had regular open for inspections at our house because our rental was on the market. On several occasions, the dog was in his crate during these inspections, and he was always totally quiet, not reacting to the strangers entering the house. But on one occasion, one of our real estate agents was standing near his crate (she wasn't the only stranger to stand near his crate during inspections either), and suddenly I heard this deep growl, followed by a few deep barks, until I told him to be quiet and lie down. Of course I apologised to the agent, but it did make me think. In the 2 1/2 years I had had him, I had NEVER heard him growl, ever (and it has never repeated itself since). At this point I had no reason to dislike that particular agent (since then she has proven to be rather difficult, two-faced and rude). If anything, I was annoyed with the constant inspections, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had picked up on that and therefore reacted to other people entering the house (in which case I would have taken him for a walk during inspections), but he never did. This woman claimed that "all dogs usually love her" (I must admit, I have my doubts). I couldn't help myself and had to mention that my dog generally loves everyone and I had never heard him growl at anyone before.

I trust my dogs judgement implicitly. They have been proven right before. But then my breed is known for its excellent judgement in this respect.

What is yOur breed? Dogs are excellent at reading body language so sometimes they pick up on badies, however they often judge people with extreme fear (clanking up, staring etc) as bad sorts too.

I make decisions around who comes and goes in my house - not my dogs

Depends on the dog and the situation. Sammy is great like that in that you don't have to worry about him being too enthusiastic with older or sick people, he just somehow knows. For example, over Christmas, we stayed with my family and everyone came over for lunch. Sammy was a big hit and everyone wanted to hug him. With the younger people, and guys especially, if they patted their laps and asked him to come up he would literally leap on them and it was funny to see. My older great aunt did the same thing, but the dog simply rested his head on her lap, and then with further prompting, gently climbed onto the couch and curled up next to her. I don't know how he works these things out because he's only 2 but I love that he does.

With strange people I trust him 100%. I was showing a few people a piece of furniture in our house recently, and I was home alone with Sammy. Everyone got Sammy's usual greeting - one bark as they approach the door, then after I say it's ok, love, but one guy, he had no time for. I said the guy was coming in, so he let him in, but he wouldn't let him pat him, moved his head out of the way and just stared at him intently. The guy proceeded to laugh and tell me that I had a very serious dog - which for anyone who hasn't met Sammy, he is normally described as the happy and full of love dog. Sammy followed the guy closely and I allowed it, because the guy had a tendency to stand uncomfortably close to me. Finally he left, after like 30 minutes, and I am still receiving stalker text messages today - the latest was, "even if you don't accept my offer for the table, I would like to see you again" etc.

My last dog - no, he was an idiot.