What To Expect After A Spay

Lisey

I've just had my girl desexed today, I picked her up from the vets at 5.45pm. I think she was done around 2.30ish this afternoon. She is a 14 month old Stafford. The vet told me it was a more difficult procedure as she had a full bladder (would not go to toilet at the vet, had been there all morning), and she'd had her first season a couple of months ago. The vet has given me some anti-inflammatory tablets to give for the next few days and said to start them tomorrow morning, unless she is really struggling....

How do I tell if she is struggling? What is normal behaviour after a spay? 5 mins after we got home she went to the toilet, and I've carried her upstairs and she has gone straight into her crate and to sleep. She did eat her dinner (just half amount of kibble with nothing else). I've gone to bed but have my alarm set for every 2 hours to check on her, she sleeps in her crate in my room, I've just woken to her panting, not really heavy but noticeable. I've put her water close to her but she's not interested. Should I be worried?

In the time its taken me to write this and do a quick google search she has now stopped panting and gone back to sleep.....

What do I need to look out for ? What's normal?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, she had a pain killer injection, as well as an anti-nausea injection as apparently she vomited at the vets when she was waking up and still had the tube in her mouth. Vet said the pain killer was a long acting one.

If she is hot should I put a fan on her? I don't want to make her too cold.....

Does she feel hot? Is the room hot? If she's sleeping okay I would leave her, if she is hot uncover the crate and make sure there isn't too much bedding in there. I would be worried about putting a fan on her in case she got too cold

As Perse said....keep her confined & nooo jumping. She will probably be sleepy or quiet today depending on the type of anaes. used. It is not usual to give anti-inflammatories after speying?

She may have a coughing sound from the tube in her throat.

She may not want eat today.

Watch for any licking or chewing of the wound.

But on the flip side she could be her completely normal, staffy self!!

Did I mention confining & no jumping! :D

Guest lavendergirl

As Perse said....keep her confined & nooo jumping. She will probably be sleepy or quiet today depending on the type of anaes. used. It is not usual to give anti-inflammatories after speying?

I am surprised you would say that - I thought it was common practice to give anti-inflammatories after any surgeries these days? I know my dog got them after a dental with extractions.

She's been to the toilet this morning and had her brekky, with her tablet (it's a caprieve..... Not 100% on sp). I've carried her down and then back up the stairs. She is still very quiet and is back in her crate. I've got the special collar for the licking but at the moment she's not interested in the stitches at all. I will put it on as soon as I see her perk up a bit. It's easy at the moment to stop the jumping etc, but when she is feeling better it's going to be tough!

I am surprised you would say that - I thought it was common practice to give anti-inflammatories after any surgeries these days? I know my dog got them after a dental with extractions.

Not seen anti-inflammatories used!, but anti-biotics - yes. But even if its a routine spey there should be no need for AB"S

Guest donatella

I had my 6 month old girl done 2 months ago, she was done in on the Friday and wasn't back to her full self until the Monday so don't panic. The first night she didn't sleep much she kept repositioning on my bed like she couldn't get comfortable and barely ate for the first day or so. I'd say give her a few days downtime and some tic, it's sad to see them like that I know but presuming all went to plan she should come good in a few days :)

Hi Lisey, we've just had Matilda, our 11 month labby done too, she had her stitches out last week. Wasn't she the happiest dog to have her paddling pool back again!! :laugh:

The vet went through a list of how quiet she would be, might not want to eat, limited/no exercise etc etc.....well, she bounded out of the vets like nobody's business! However once in the car she slept all the way home and that night as well. She was given a long lasting pain relief injection for that night. But we didn't have anti-inflam tablets.

We had no problems with her chewing or licking stitches and she ate well. The hardest thing was keeping her quiet as all she wanted to do was run and play. She did develop a swelling under the stitches from being too active and she was confined in the laundry for 3 days after that, but it's all okay now.

Hopefully you have no problems like we did. :)

Edited by Hunny

I've been through a dozen or so speys. Some girls act sorry for themselves, probably because they are in some pain, for a few days. Others are bouncy once they recover from the anesthetic. My biggest problem has been keeping them inactive and out of water. One of my vets said it was ok if their activity level picks up a bit in the last half of the 10 day wait period . . .

Not seen anti-inflammatories used!, but anti-biotics - yes. But even if its a routine spey there should be no need for AB"S

Agree- that there usually isn't need for ABs but Anti-inflammatories are used very very very commonly after a Spay. They both help at the wound site and give pain relief so are an invaluable medication unless contraindicated (by what happened in the surgery or the dogs prior condition) so I would actually probably question a vet that didn't use them rather than be surprised by one who did.

One of my girls was her normal self after 12hrs, the other one was a little mopy but had bounced back after 24hrs. I kept them crated or on the lounge with me for 2 days, by day three they were given house free range of the house but were supervised outside to make sure they didn't run around and I started them both on quiet walks on day three as well. I just chose routs that I knew didn't have dogs that would bark at them.

Missy my 6 month old whippet was spayed last monday by thursday she was her normal self wanting to run and play which I've got under control at the moment. The vets here didn't send Missy home with any pain killers or antibiotics, That night I could tell Missy was in pain as she was shaking and very sooky. I gave her quater of one of buddys pain killers which seemed to help.

Hi Lisey, we've just had Matilda, our 11 month labby done too, she had her stitches out last week. Wasn't she the happiest dog to have her paddling pool back again!! :laugh:

The vet went through a list of how quiet she would be, might not want to eat, limited/no exercise etc etc.....well, she bounded out of the vets like nobody's business! However once in the car she slept all the way home and that night as well. She was given a long lasting pain relief injection for that night. But we didn't have anti-inflam tablets.

We had no problems with her chewing or licking stitches and she ate well. The hardest thing was keeping her quiet as all she wanted to do was run and play. She did develop a swelling under the stitches from being too active and she was confined in the laundry for 3 days after that, but it's all okay now.

Hopefully you have no problems like we did. :)

Oh they didn't tell me to take her clam shell away, it makes sense though. Will do that before I let her outside on her own.

every animal getting speyed or castrated gets anti-inflam's and pain relief (one inj) as standard practice at my work, surgery hurts so cant understand why a clinic wouldnt do it? makes me love my boss and clinic more hearing that some dont do it at all...