Help With Picking A Breed

Inkidink

I too was thinking spaniels - Cocker, American Cocker...

But I have to concur with Sheltie (Shetland Sheepdog) - seems perfect!

Otherwise Lagotto maybe?

Or - this one. Japanese Spitz. :D

Maybe something for the OP- Japanese Spitz do have big coat dumps once or twice a year. So this may or may not fit in as one of the things you are able to compromise. Depending on how big the coat is depends on how much hair will come out. I barely find hair around the place when my two are not dropping coat though. But they do shed ;)

As puppies they are pretty busy and generally very very confident depending on the lines. They will grow to about 30-37 cm depending if they are a dog or a bitch.

They are quite intelligent and adore their family. They were also originally used as alert dogs as well as companion and are slightly charry of strangers, although the greatness of this depends on each dog. Don't expect them to love everyone, they are very focused on 'their people'. They are also a spitz :laugh:

I find most of the boys to be very affectionate and cuddle bunnies :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Otherwise Lagotto maybe?

I just have my first JS and thought that a JS with two preschoolers might be a bit much for anyone. They are more energetic and crazier than Border Collies. Adorable and entertaining but not placid in any way shape or form. :D

Otherwise Lagotto maybe?

I just have my first JS and thought that a JS with two preschoolers might be a bit much for anyone. They are more energetic and crazier than Border Collies. Adorable and entertaining but not placid in any way shape or form. :D

Yes I agree with this.....my little pup is still going when the human kids are pooped :laugh:

Otherwise Lagotto maybe?

Yes I agree with this.....my little pup is still going when the human kids are pooped :laugh:

With kids about 5 years and upwards they are great but I think too much of a handful for a household with two kids younger than that.

A Pug fits your description except for the shedding of coat...which isnt all year so not all the time. :D Great with kids...all bark with cats and chooks and other livestock, the livestock seem to know this and therefore ignore them. Great little watch dogs and to a stranger or friend they are pretty scary when they are in protection mode...just dont let the visitor pat them lol. Mine let me know all the time when there is someone there...the Anatolian shepherd beats them to it though as he hears the car...but a protecting pug is a pretty good deterant for strangers. They are a super good with kids and when puppies even though will jump arent heavy enough to knock a small child of 3-4 over. If you can get over the hair they make a perfect pet.

I'll second a sheltie! I know the shedding isn't great, but clipping is always an option. They're such beautiful little dogs, biddable (like all working dogs, hence why I love the herding group!), not a high prey drive so won't do more than attempt to herd your chooks, and not overly energetic like a jack russel, or my favourite breed, the schipperke. I would love to reccommend a schip, they have no doggy odour, however are very hyperactive and might scare your children. I have heard a lot of people saying schipperkes are little devil dogs, however my boy is an angel, very biddable, listens to everything I say, and doesn't try and kill every small animal in his path...however, I always say he has ADHD, however the hyperactivity is typical of the breed :laugh:

However in my opinion, the newfoundland or saint bernard, despite their size, are hands down the most wonderful dogs for young children and families. However I do not have the room to accomodate eithr, aww :( My neighbours had a newfie, she was beautiful!

I think the risk with any of the terriers in that situation is that they could probably easily escape from your yard, and also that they probably wouldn't just alert you to the presence of a snake but also try to attack it (and risk getting bitten).

I was thinking spaniel as well, but depending on the kind of plants and grass you have around could be problematic getting tangled in coats and stuck in ears.

but I think certain breeds of terriers and spaniels would suit your other requirements :)

My mum has 2 JRT and chooks and they really don't mix very well. if you got a JRT you would have to build the chook pen like fort knox. My mum's youngest JRT has killed fair few of her chooks, she just loves plucking them. So it is something to watch out for with breeds that realy were originally bred for hunting.

I'll second a sheltie! I know the shedding isn't great, but clipping is always an option. They're such beautiful little dogs, biddable (like all working dogs, hence why I love the herding group!), not a high prey drive so won't do more than attempt to herd your chooks, and not overly energetic like a jack russel, or my favourite breed, the schipperke. I would love to reccommend a schip, they have no doggy odour, however are very hyperactive and might scare your children. I have heard a lot of people saying schipperkes are little devil dogs, however my boy is an angel, very biddable, listens to everything I say, and doesn't try and kill every small animal in his path...however, I always say he has ADHD, however the hyperactivity is typical of the breed :laugh:

However in my opinion, the newfoundland or saint bernard, despite their size, are hands down the most wonderful dogs for young children and families. However I do not have the room to accomodate eithr, aww :( My neighbours had a newfie, she was beautiful!

A coat still sheds when clipped. The difference is the hairs are spiky short and annoying when they come out!!

With all that you have to offer , I'd be going for a second-hand dog between 2-3 years or a bit older. Personality would be way more important than breed.

A dog who innately adores children and is given the chance to belong to two, will win over a reluctant child . A rehomed dog offered a new life won't squander or be ungrateful for a minute in an environment like you have. Fencing ! As if they'll want to leave!

We have two rescues , 3rd and 4th homes, . Polite , adoring , fun , intune dogs.

Purebred or mutt or cross, whether through a rescue, breeder or local paper . There would be a close to perfect fit for you guys out there . :)

With all that you have to offer , I'd be going for a second-hand dog between 2-3 years or a bit older. Personality would be way more important than breed.

A dog who innately adores children and is given the chance to belong to two, will win over a reluctant child . A rehomed dog offered a new life won't squander or be ungrateful for a minute in an environment like you have. Fencing ! As if they'll want to leave!

We have two rescues , 3rd and 4th homes, . Polite , adoring , fun , intune dogs.

Purebred or mutt or cross, whether through a rescue, breeder or local paper . There would be a close to perfect fit for you guys out there . :)

I wouldn't be buying a rescue through the paper. I think perhaps looking at a rescue group that fosters their dogs for a number of weeks before rehoming would be a great start. You could take your children to visit a few times and talk to them about how they feel about the dog without pressure. You will also have a good idea of the temperament from an unbiased source (the only reason I say don't get one from the paper is that past owners are not unbiased),

There are also breed specific rescue, or perhaps an ex show dog if your want something pure bred.

Another vote for a Border Terrier. Great little dogs - compact, sensible, easy care, smart. Why not go to some shows and meet a couple, and see if you like them? I also think they are a nice, honest looking breed that would suit a rural situation. Also they won't show the dirt too badly. :)

Please don't think about a Border Terrier unless you have really good small dog escape-proof fencing all around your 5 acres - it's simply not an option. Plus they would need to be very carefully introduced to chickens and any other livestock. And they would usually far rather attack and try to kill a snake themselves - "Look what I did, Mum!" than alert you first :eek: They also shed and need hand stripping a couple of times a year.

Great little dogs, though :laugh:

I think perhaps looking at a rescue group that fosters their dogs for a number of weeks before rehoming would be a great start. You could take your children to visit a few times and talk to them about how they feel about the dog without pressure. You will also have a good idea of the temperament from an unbiased source (the only reason I say don't get one from the paper is that past owners are not unbiased),<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">There are also breed specific rescue, or perhaps an ex show dog if your want something pure bred.

I agree with this concept for a few reasons . :)

there are people on here who are involved in rescuing/fostering dogs .. and doing it this way, with a reputable group , you get someone choosing a dog with attributes you want , and that will fit best into your home. You also get support .

Getting a dog from a newspaper or online selling platform is probably not a wise plan for you , being so new to the dog world.

Another vote for a Border Terrier. Great little dogs - compact, sensible, easy care, smart. Why not go to some shows and meet a couple, and see if you like them? I also think they are a nice, honest looking breed that would suit a rural situation. Also they won't show the dirt too badly. :)

Please don't think about a Border Terrier unless you have really good small dog escape-proof fencing all around your 5 acres - it's simply not an option.

You could say the same about any breed, I wouldn't trust any dog to run 5 acres unsupervised, in addition to the risk of snakebite there's a very good chance that the dog will be shot if it escapes and gets in with stock. IMO having a dog/dogs on acreage is much easier if you have a securely fenced house yard, say 1/2 or 1/4 acre depending on how much fencing you're prepared to do, then the dog can be safely confined to the house yard when you're not there to supervise and only access the rest of the property when you open the gate.

I don't think there is anything wrong with looking at dogs that people are trying to find homes for themselves , even ones advertised at the milk bar. You could put the word out in your area. Great way to meet the locals and see dogs in their current environment.

I don't think there is anything wrong with looking at dogs that people are trying to find homes for themselves , even ones advertised at the milk bar. You could put the word out in your area. Great way to meet the locals and see dogs in their current environment.

Nothing wrong for an experienced owner to take on without children who are already fearful...... The wrong dog in this situation is going to do more damage than the same dog in a home full of confident individuals....

I was just indicating that in this specific circumstance there are some options are better than others. Look at the OP, we are trying to help them get the best possible dog for their situation, its not about them meeting the locals...

Edited by Jumabaar