? Never Use 'down' Only 'drop' ?

Guest RosieFT

Raz - I've never heard of a judge refusing someone who has asked to use non English commands in the ring as long as they are one syllable. Seita on this forum who uses German words just gets asked by the judge what her commands are and they have always approved her using them.

I like the German 'platz' for 'drop'. I think that hard 'tz' catches a dog's ear and makes the command more commanding. (correction . . . I originally put sit here . . . senior moment, I'm afraid).

I also use 'oui' pretty often for 'down', or 'drop' in cases where the dog is doing something they know they're not supposed to do . . . like jumping up on a car door to greet the people inside, or carrying off the butter. Dogs don't generalise in the same way humans do, but most seem to get a command that says: 'you know that's not ok, stop".

Edited by sandgrubber

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL yep, that's what Seita uses for drop as well as the other people I know who use German command words.

I like the sound of platz too and I like fus for heel as well, as my command for the recall is here and fus has much different sound to it compared to 'here' and 'heel'. I have been thinking about training a couple of words in German with my next pup as I want a clear distinction between drive commands and 'around the house' commands.

Edited by huski

Perhaps the person being 'trained' had a consistency problem and the trainer was trying to make it clear to them that they need different commands for the different things (particularly if they were using 'down' freely for all sorts of things as well as when getting the dog to actually lie down). Some things can get lost in translation from person to person - particularly if the telling is third and fourth hand.

I do tell my classes they can use what they want, but do suggest using the word 'drop' particularly if they are using 'down' when the dog is jumping, or to get off the couch or bed etc etc.

I don't think it matters as long as its consistent. Our trainer at puppy preschool reccomend writing a list of words & what they are used for & putting it on the fridge for all to see.

I use 'drop' for down & 'give' for her to drop a ball/toy.

Unfortunately my OH is harder to train than the puppy..he keeps saying down to lay down & drop for the ball/toy. He also tells her to sit, sit, sit, sit instead of saying it once & waiting :banghead::banghead:

Fortunately he doesn't do the main training its really when he's playing with her.

I don't think it matters as long as its consistent. Our trainer at puppy preschool reccomend writing a list of words & what they are used for & putting it on the fridge for all to see.

I use 'drop' for down & 'give' for her to drop a ball/toy.

Unfortunately my OH is harder to train than the puppy..he keeps saying down to lay down & drop for the ball/toy. He also tells her to sit, sit, sit, sit instead of saying it once & waiting :banghead::banghead:

Fortunately he doesn't do the main training its really when he's playing with her.

Don't worry, a lot of people do the same with my dog, and then half the time give up because he hasn't done it after 10 'sits'. They can learn the difference between people (as Huski was saying too) and if you always follow through with your commands, the dog should learn to listen to you even if to everyone else it appears all but deaf lol.

I've always used:

Drop = lie down

Down/Off = get off furniture etc

Leave It = don't touch/leave it

My problem is that Zeus is very hand signal orientated to the point I don't have to say anything. A slight hand movement and he does what I want.

How do I go about getting him to learn voice commands too? He does know roll over both by voice and hand signal. If I wanted to trial in obedience do I need voice commands?

Drop - A word used in Obedience Training, but when said some dogs just look at you as if to say "that's what you think". :laugh:

Down - A word I use when I want to sit on the lounge, but some times get the above response and a very sad look. :rofl:

I use "drop" for the dog to put itself in a "drop position" and "down" if a young dog (or excitd older dog) jumps up on a person!

My OH used to say "drop" when he wanted the ball back, but I set him right with "give" as it ws my dog, and my training, so my commands. :)

I had an obedience trainer who loved to talk way too much and who told us to give the command "drop" as the judge in a trial will say "down your dog" and you don't want the dog to drop on the examiners command but on yours - (drop). The requests from the judge are different from what you would tell the dog. They say 'forward' while person says 'heel' They say call your dog, the person says 'come'. they say 'leave your dog' the person says 'stay'.

I think there are exceptions.

I didn't get past grade 3 cos me and my dog got bored to tears with endless standing around each week whilst being told lots of stuff. We didn't do enough actual work. So my information is only from what this instructor said, and not from my own experience - but it makes a bit of sense.

sounds like the obedience place i go to, it's probably the same one!

i'm starting to get over it :rolleyes:

We got bored in traditional obedience classes too (I think many dogs and owners do!)... not sure why some instructors are determined to suck any fun out of training your dog!

i think so too! probably the reason why i never see a lot of them ever again :laugh:

i've thought about dropping out at times too, it really isn't fun doing the same repetitive excercise over and over again for 45 minutes when you've got a puppy with a short attention span and the trainer demands to keep going without stopping.

Wasn't a repetitive exercise that got me in the end - it was standing around with our dogs in a drop stay or sit stay for 10minutes at a time while she rabitted on about her and her dog's trial experiences - using the exercise as an excuse for being able to talk endlessly about herself. Don't think she was aware she was doing it.

I lasted 6 months. We never got out of grade three because of it.

i've thought about dropping out at times too, it really isn't fun doing the same repetitive excercise over and over again for 45 minutes when you've got a puppy with a short attention span and the trainer demands to keep going without stopping.

If you're interested in obedience trialling, at some point you just have to take the plunge and go out and train on your own (or with a friend) ;) 5 minutes of fun fast-paced training and then put the dog away for a break. 45 minutes of solid anything isn't enjoyable for anyone.

sounds good :thumbsup:

it really isn't enjoyable.

Got text from DH today because someone he works with is having dog trouble and has recently got professional help - someone out of the paper, not sure who - and has been told that you must never, ever use the command 'down' and only ever use 'drop'. The trainer did say something about the word 'drop' being very clear to the dog where as 'down' wasn't ? They were surprised at how adament the trainer was. So DH msged me to get the answer.... ???

We use 'down' as i wanted to save 'drop' for releasing a ball as we had done with all my child hood dogs. Irony is i use 'give' LOL. I have to say that when Rosie springs people do say 'down' to her to get her to stop bouncing, so perhaps this confusion might pose a problem?

any thoughts?? anyone heard this before?

I have never heard that before, we were told to use the words that we wanted for the action. It could have all been in Korean language for any one cared. The dog learns the command you use for the actions intent.

In Victorian Dog Obedience Trialling "drop" is the ONLY acceptable command for getting a dog to lie down - maybe your Professional is originally from Victoria

Utter rubbish, you can use any single word command in the English language, another language with the judge's permission. That is ANKC Rules, Obedience trials all over Australia are judged under those Rules, or they should be........... My three OCs, in fact all my titled dogs in Victoria have the "drop" command............ "down" in our house means get down - from me or the furniture or wherever. Commands are only noises to dogs, it just helps if we use the same noise for the same action all the time. The excutive command judges must use as per Rules is "down" or "down your dog", most of us use a different word because we think it helps avoid dogs working on judge's command, but we all know that doesn't work, dogs aren't that silly!!!

There is only one exercise where a specified word must be used and that is "stay" in food refusal

No wonder our poor dogs are confused, it might be a good idea to stick to the language you know eg English instead of using German words most people clearly have no clue of what they mean. ;) Down - Unten Drop - Tropfen :D