Aggressive Dog At The Beach

lovemyrottie

so, me and pup go for a walk along the beach almost every afternoon and there's always this older couple there (don't think they speak english as they're always talking in their language) with their german shepherd that's always off leash i don't think i've ever seen them holding a leash but anyway, their dog tends to walk up to other dogs that are walking past and he's walked up to caliber before (i always have him on leash) but the man came and grabbed him by the back of the skin and pulled him away while yelling before anything happened but tonight we were walking again on the footpath along the beach and this couple was there again just watching the beach over the rails back turned to their off lead dog so they didn't even have an eye on him and this time when he started walking towards us (i thought he was just coming to say hello) he went absolutely f***** nuts at caliber while caliber didn't even do anything...

he just snapped at him, started biting him, grabbed him by the back of the skin and wouldn't let go while caliber was just yelping and trying to get away and i'm there holding the leash trying to pull him away completely shocked, didn't even know what to do or say cause i've never experienced something like that before!

anyway, the man walked over slowly and calmly like it was nothing, yelled and grabbed the dog but not even a word of apology or anything while i walked away just shaking my head thinking should i have just kicked their dog off? yelled at them? should i report them? what should i do if this happens again?

but what really pisses me off is that fact that they bring an aggressive dog like that to the beach with so many people, kids and other dogs around without a muzzle on or something and off leash :mad

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see i've never had to report anything like that before so i don't even know who to report it to? do you have to report it as soon as possible? do you have to give them a description of the people and all that? :shrug:

he actually got pretty scared, i could totally see it in his face but he got over it quickly cause as soon as he saw the next dog he wanted to play and even though that annoys me i'd still rather that than have him fearful of every dog he sees :)

Call the council where the incident occurred and say you'd like to report an aggressive dog. Tell them where & when the incident occured, when you've seen them before and describe the dog and owner.

If a dog is aggressive toward your on-lead dog one trick you can use is to lead your dog sideways then back. Moving sideways is a calming signal, and I've used it with success before. Personally I wouldn't put any tension on my own dog's lead if he's not agressing back, i'd address the other dog with sharp, loud noises like 'hey!' and claps. Hopefully you'll get the owner's attention if nothing else!

Glad your boy wasn't traumatised :(

Ring your council and yell them you want to report a dog attack. They'll put you through to the right place.

Was your dog hurt?

so i'd do it at my council and not the council in the suburb it happened in? and it doesn't matter if you do it the next day?

nah, he's okay. if he started bleeding then and there, i definately wouldn't have walked away but then if that happened do you call the cops for that on the spot?

i don't know anything about this stuff.

okay, got it!

i'll do it tomorrow morning.

Go for it. I'm sure others will be grateful to you.

If you haven't met aggressive dogs there before, it's a good dog beach, and people care. . . . and the Rangers are probably good. It's probably worth saying a few flattering words about what a great beach it is and thank them for keeping it free of aggressive dogs. Good council workers deserve recognition.

Edited by sandgrubber

Guest lavendergirl

This is exactly the sort of situation that small dog owners dread and the point we are trying to get across in other threads. A toy breed may not survive an incident such as this whereas your dog was largely undamaged physically. Certainly report these people before the dog seriously hurts or kills another dog and is PTS because of idiot owners. :mad

I would have given them a piece of my mind, I don't care if they speak the language or not, idiots. :mad

And yes, I would have kicked the dog to keep it away, anything to protect my dogs.

Definitely report it to the council, let them know they are always there, they shouldn't be too hard to find. Morons.

Hope you're boy is ok.

Take your dog to the vet asap. Don't leave it another day. The vet report then forms part of the evidence the council uses to make a decision.

If your dog's skin is broken he may need antibiotics , and there may be damage underneath the puncture wounds that needs attention. It's important to get your dog checked out.

You could also report this one to the police.

Were there any witnesses? Any surveillance cameras? Identifying the couple might be hard, as they may avoid this area now an incident has happened.

Guest donatella

This sort of story makes my blood boil to its maximum. I would have abused the heck out of the obnoxious owners and called the police on the spot.

Report them, Councils take dog attacks very seriously. Your poor dog! take something to defend yourself when you go walking until this aggressive dog is sorted. You have to protect you and your dog first and foremost.

Take your dog to the vet asap. Don't leave it another day. The vet report then forms part of the evidence the council uses to make a decision.

Yes, do this. From experience, the council will only log an incident of an actual attack with evidence. Otherwise it's case of your word against theirs.

I recently had to deal with a similar situation & the council, whilst helpful, had their hands tied by all sorts of red tape. My dog was bitten but as there was no visible damage (she is a GR & her heavy ruff protected her) they were only able to slap the dog with a nuisance order after they were able to witness the dog offlead in a public street several times. This is despite a second rushing incident I reported. The owner just denied it. :mad

If you know that this couple frequent the beach at a particular time & the dog always exhibits this, let the council know when it is and they can go see for themselves. Clearly this dog needs to be kept on a lead.

Guest english.ivy

The main reason why when I drove to the beach Sunday morning and saw all the cars parked there, I kept driving to the next beach, which is an extra half an hour away as I knew there would be no one there.

My dogs have been harassed at the beach plenty of times, so I stay clear of popular/busy dog beaches in Summer.

I drive to a seaweed covered beach that allows dogs but no one knows about.

Guest english.ivy

:o I don't know if I'd try & kick a snapping growling GSD away ..., But I would have a staff/walking stick with me , and do some 'intervention' with that ;)

I always have two dog lead in my hand, if another dog was biting either of my two, I would whack the dog with the leads. Too much risk to put my foot or leg in the way.