Some People Really Don't Have A Clue, Do They?

Guest Willow

Driving down the road tonight, going from a 90 zone into a 60 zone, and there is a family walking on the footpath with a tiny (maybe 8 to 10 weeks) old Cocker spaniel pup. The dad and two kids are busy laughing and chatting while the pup is offlead behind them....no one can see the pup, and it's doing what all pups do which is zigzag about, tongue hanging out, oblivious to the danger a metre to the left of it.

Why you would have any dog offlead that close to a road is beyond me, but a tiny pup with no road sense, probably no reliable recall, and not even looking at it!!!!!

It's only a matter of time before it's under the wheels of a car, and a dog is dead and two little boys are scarred for life at having to witness it.

OMG !! Poor little puppy. Clueless owner. I see it sooo often, people walking dogs with no leads or they are carrying them. How hard is it to put the bloody lead on the dog. I hear some wonderful reasons why THEIR dog doesnt just require a lead too. Like a guy at our local dog beach, had 2 beautiful BC's, never leashed cause he had trained them so well. Now he only has one.

Yes just crazy.I've seen the same thing with Toddlers too :mad.

Yes, and the really smart mums who take their toddlers out of the car seat, stand them beside the car and then pfaff around getting the stroller set up. I surprised one mum one day when her kid, very friendly toddled up to me and I picked him up and stood their waiting, she turned around to get her kid, looked startled and I said, "Are you looking for this?" and smiled at her. "Oh, he's always going off, she says!! :eek:

I weep for this world some days! :(

When i was about 14 i was getting a lift home from my friends house .As we went down the drive i saw the man next door in his front yard with a young Boxer who was bounding around while he fussed with a hose.It was a very busy road and i thought how risky for the dog ,he must be well trained to not run on the road.We backed out of the drive and just as we took off the Boxer ran accross the road and under our car.We offered to rush him to the vet but the stupid man just stood there wanting to chat saying ''Oh it's ok i'll take him down later myself.The dogs back legs were broken and he was in shock .I found out later that the dog was PTS.

Did you stop and tell them off? Also a pup that young isn't fully vaccinated either.

No, I was on a busy road with nowhere to pull over.

When i was about 14 i was getting a lift home from my friends house .As we went down the drive i saw the man next door in his front yard with a young Boxer who was bounding around while he fussed with a hose.It was a very busy road and i thought how risky for the dog ,he must be well trained to not run on the road.We backed out of the drive and just as we took off the Boxer ran accross the road and under our car.We offered to rush him to the vet but the stupid man just stood there wanting to chat saying ''Oh it's ok i'll take him down later myself.The dogs back legs were broken and he was in shock .I found out later that the dog was PTS.

How awful Purdie! :(

And yes Willow, I'm often surprised at peoples oblivion to their dogs (and kids!) safety. :(

I probably verge on being at the other end of the spectrum though, a bit hyper-vigilant.....

I've seen it with kids too...one time I was at a friends place, she lived on a busy main road. There was a group of people walking down the road and they had a little girl about 2 years old with them. They were having an argument and wern't watching the kid. Kid toddled onto the road right in front of an oncoming car. We heard the squeeling of wheels and expected disaster but luckily the kid wasn't hit. Next thing the father (well I assume it was the father) beer bottle in one hand, smoke in the other proceeds to yell and swear abuse at the poor driver who was obviously very up-set at nearly hitting a kid.

Some people shouldn't have kids or dogs

There's no way I would let my little cocker puppy Duke (13 weeks) off lead anywhere, let alone near a road! The slightest noise or smell and he would be off! Some people have no sense...

Edited by Bear&Duke

OMG !! Poor little puppy. Clueless owner. I see it sooo often, people walking dogs with no leads or they are carrying them. How hard is it to put the bloody lead on the dog. I hear some wonderful reasons why THEIR dog doesnt just require a lead too. Like a guy at our local dog beach, had 2 beautiful BC's, never leashed cause he had trained them so well. Now he only has one.

Our house overlooks the playground & beach access area of Bagnalls beach. So many dogs running & playing offleash right beside one of the busiest roads in Nelson Bay while owners are completely oblivious to their dogs whereabouts :cry:

Considering how much a Cocker costs, you'd think they would take more care of it (if only for this reason).

I always worry about seeing pups that are too young being walked on the ground, we were told to carry our dog until he was past his last vaccination.

I remember years ago I was stopped at the lights watching this guy throw a ball to a dog right on the side of a busy road, on the last throw it went on the road and bang poor dog was hit buy a car died on the spot.. very sad some people have nothing between the ears...