Golden Retriever Puppy Way Too Small!

greyseas

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vet called me earlier today and good news! :) Both blood tests and x-rays came back normal and showing no signs whatsoever of abnormalities although she did say that x-rays seem to show (in conjunction with his size and weight) that he is actually younger than he really is...which I am a little wary of (especially as many of you guys are a bit unsure about the breeder and have much more experience than me!)

But I have to say this would make a lot more sense as currently, he looks a lot like your Henry in size, GoldenWei! (Just skinnier)

Thank you for all the photos guys, your Goldens are all beautiful!

The breeder has been more than helpful though and regarding his papers, she should be getting them in the post next week and will be sending them to me asap and I will have a good look at them. I have only had him about two and half weeks..although he looks to be the size of an 8 week old.

Funnily enough, as soon as he got back from the vet after getting his x-rays done and blood taken, he was vibrant as ever and both his feet look perfectly fine right now!

If he is healthy and pure bred than he only looks about 4 weeks old, not 8 weeks.

I'm looking at those photos (and ignoring the mess of the backyard) and thinking she doesn't look very golden retreiver like! But certainly is, very dark colour, too much white on her though which is a fault in the show ring hence the reason she ended up being pet homed to me :D

Ha, the show rings are full of 'Blonde" golden Retrievers! I prefer Golden Goldies. :)

The vet called me earlier today and good news! :) Both blood tests and x-rays came back normal and showing no signs whatsoever of abnormalities although she did say that x-rays seem to show (in conjunction with his size and weight) that he is actually younger than he really is...which I am a little wary of (especially as many of you guys are a bit unsure about the breeder and have much more experience than me!)

But I have to say this would make a lot more sense as currently, he looks a lot like your Henry in size, GoldenWei! (Just skinnier)

The breeder has been more than helpful though and regarding his papers, she should be getting them in the post next week and will be sending them to me asap and I will have a good look at them. I have only had him about two and half weeks..although he looks to be the size of an 8 week old.

Funnily enough, as soon as he got back from the vet after getting his x-rays done and blood taken, he was vibrant as ever and both his feet look perfectly fine right now!

If he is healthy and pure bred than he only looks about 4 weeks old, not 8 weeks.

Have been following and reading with interest. Looking forward to hearing of little Oscars weight gains. :)

Do you think it possible that the bitch was running with the male during her entire heat cycle and conceived at the beginning of her cycle AND at the end and little Oscar is really a quite a bit behind his siblings?

Have been following and reading with interest. Looking forward to hearing of little Oscars weight gains. :)

Do you think it possible that the bitch was running with the male during her entire heat cycle and conceived at the beginning of her cycle AND at the end and little Oscar is really a quite a bit behind his siblings?

Not much chance of that. A bitch ovulates and releases the eggs all at once. The eggs can survive for about 4 days so can be fertilised over those 4 days but no longer. If they mate before ovulation the sperm may survive a few days until they ovulate so puppies can be conceived from matings as far apart as 8 days but the actual embryos all form within 4 days and the bitch whelps 63 days from ovulation, regardless of when they are mated. Being 4 days behind wouldn't make that much difference in size.

Not much chance of that. A bitch ovulates and releases the eggs all at once. The eggs can survive for about 4 days so can be fertilised over those 4 days but no longer. If they mate before ovulation the sperm may survive a few days until they ovulate so puppies can be conceived from matings as far apart as 8 days but the actual embryos all form within 4 days and the bitch whelps 63 days from ovulation, regardless of when they are mated. Being 4 days behind wouldn't make that much difference in size.

Ah, yes. Small window of opportunity with the egg release. So he is not likely to be prem either or the whole litter would have been. Unlikely also given they all survived and no doubt appeared normal and fur covered.

Hope the poor little guy has no inderlying probelm. I'd be watching how he develops and his appearance. A DNA swab might be called for if he looks dramatically unlike a purebred GR as he matures. :confused:

How can the breeder have accidentally gotten his age so wrong? I think you have been swindled somehow...goodluck fattening him up, he is cute and im sure you love him already. I hope he remains healthy. I would ask the breeder to refund your vet bills and pey for the dna test.

I can't help feeling soooo angry at the breeder for leting that puppy go to you in that condition. :eek:

Even if the puppy is younger than 8 weeks - in fact even if he was only 6 weeks, he doesn't look like a normal healthy 6 week old puppy from any breed in my opinion. He looks like he's been not doing well from birth in which case the breeder should never had sold him to you :mad

I've seen other small for age puppies of various breeds and none of them look abnormal, just small.

As others have mentioned he should be fed a super premium puppy food with extras. Lots of small meals daily to increase his calorie intake as he will not be able to eat enough food (calories) in 3 meals a day to increase his size/weight.

It's great news that the vets have given him the all clear :)

Good luck with him!

I agree hilaryo, this puppy doesn't seem right & the breeder should never have sold him. :mad

Poor little mite, my Australian terrier puppies where a similar size at 8 weeks. :(

Glad the vet has given him the all clear though & I hope he starts to steadily put on some weight with the super premium food. :)

Looking at the photos, a form of dwarfism is what immediately sprung to mind as a possibility for me too.

I will be interested to see pictures of the puppy as it grows.

Hopefully the OP will come back and post some? :)

Edited by espinay2