Golden Retriever Puppy Way Too Small!

greyseas

He is so cute and as long as he's happy and his health checks out it doesn't matter if he's tiny, he'll just be different that's all :)

I think it matters that the OP didn't get what she paid for - a sound, healthy Golden Retriever.

And the person that sold it to her gets to laugh all the way to the bank. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies and concern :), I'm very sorry I've been MIA!!

Our family went overseas for about 3 weeks (very bad timing I know :( but it was postponed due to an accident my mum had late 2011 and there was no other time we could change it to) and when we got back we just spent as much time with Oscar as possible :D .

I'm happy to report that Oscar is doing much better now! When I got back and picked him up from my friend's place I had to do a double take..he grew so much! I took him in for his last vaccination today and on the pet scales he is almost 7kg and the vet is extremely pleased with how he is looking :)

She said everything looks much better (he's grown in a new coat, his paws are getting bigger, legs longer etc...)

While I was away his food was gradually increased to a cup, 3 times a day and even now he is wolfing it down!

My friend started (and I've continued) mixing in some adult food just in case he was being overfed but the vet still recommends that we stick to puppy kibble for the nutrition and benefits of calcium etc...

He is still on the small side (after googling/youtubing 12 week old goldens) but he has definitely come a long way - I will definitely post some photos as soon as i can!)

My vet was telling me today that she thinks with how he is looking now compared to 3 weeks ago, him being hand-raised from a very young age must have affected his growth a little or at least slowed it. Hopefully he continues to grow at a steady rate and is just a late bloomer! His registration and pedigree papers arrived in the mail last week so all is good on that front.

Edited by greyseas

Ooo and before I forget! My friend told me that about a week into his stay with her he pretty much just toilet trained himself (after 2 little accidents) and he hasn't had one since! :D :) (it's safe to say that we're super proud and very excited he knows to go into the backyard for potty time! hehhe)

I have seen pictures and heard the stories of TWO Mastiff puppies now, from seperate litters unrelated, purebred parents, VERY small puppies when born and even at 6 weeks so tiny, one is 6 or so months now and growing well, still smaller that normal but not tiny tiny, one still growing maybe 11 weeks? and growing nice but still small, he has plumped up alot though. They just look odd because they are small, like preemie babies, but strong and little fighters, minature versions of their brothers and sisters.

So i have no concerns that your puppy will be fine and sounds like he is do really good, maybe he wont be as enormous as the rest of them but he will get there!

He's just special ;)

I must say looking at the photo of Oscar, I thought he was a crossbred. His weight at 10 weeks astonished me. I have just sold a litter of Golden Retriever puppies, and they weighed 2.5 kg at 3 weeks, and weighed 6 kg when they left for new homes at 8 weeks.

Could I ask why this puppy is not being fed any meat ? All of our pups were accustomed to eating their top quality puppy kibble, plus chicken mince, wings and necks, beef mince, pasta, rice, veges, raw egg yolk, yoghurt and puppy milk. The owners had about two hours with me going over their diet sheet and all the other information included in their puppy pack, before taking their pups home.

I would never sell a puppy off the side of the road to any buyer. Most puppy buyers had at least a 1 1/2 hour drive to see the pups and there were no quibbles from any of them about the distance, either to view or pick up a puppy.

I am pleased to read that Oscar is improving, but I still question whether he is purebred, and even more so, why the breeder allowed him to go to a new home when he was so terribly underweight.

Here is a photo of two of my female pups at 8 weeks (vast difference) !

post-9042-0-52138400-1329443876_thumb.jpg

thought i would weigh in!! i have read the whole thread and thought i would add some pics of my girl Dallas - she is registered goldie who i show... she is on the smaller side though still well within the standard...

5 week old babies with their mummy- their heads are vastly different to ur lil mans.. eyes are deep set and plenty of muzzle

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

my girl at 12 weeks old at her first show

IMG_4363edit.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

I'm not going to bag the breeder greyseas because bascially if you are happy with the level of support the breeder is giving

then I am going to credit you with being able to discern if you feel you have been 'dodged' or not.

Im sure if there was something wrong with the puppy, the test would have revealed any internal defect.

Do not underestimate what diet and parasites can do to a puppy.

I have photos of 6 - 8 week old and 12 week old Turk puppies that look like animal welfare outrage photos.

A few weeks of diet, and worming ...

wow different puppies.

Your puppy (to me) looks like it needs to be wormed, and on a better diet and

some calcium.

I know giving calcium is a big no no to some

but not for me.

Now I dont breed Golden Retrievers

but generally poor coat, lax muscle development and potty bellies tend to be the same across the dog breeds.

I'd also check your puppy's water supply, and dump the supershiite for some good nutrition ;)

sardines in vegetable oil, full cream milk (another big no no, but a big yes yes for me), chopped up lamb necks, chicken necks - yummo!

I think your puppy will be fine :)

Edited by lilli