Small Lump Under 13 Week Old Puppy's Skin

minimiss

Last night as I was patting my little boy I noticed a small lump on the left side of his torso just at the bottom of his ribs. It's fairly squishy, a little firm and is probably between the size of a 5c and a 10c coin. It doesn't seem to be attached to any muscles and it's close to the skin but doesn't feel attached to that either. It could feel bigger than it is, seeing as my boy is a 1.25kg Pomeranian. Hrmm..

It seems to have come out of nowhere and it doesn't seem to affect him at all, he's still a hyper little pig :laugh: and if I touch it, it doesn't seem to cause him any grief.

I called the vet today to book him in tomorrow to have it checked out and the vet nurse didn't have suggestion as to what it could be. She said it could be a reaction from his 12 week vaccination (09/01/2012) and not to worry.. However it's not where the vaccination site was so I'll have to see what the vet says tomorrow.

It has me a little worried, and stressed! I had a quick google but it has a lot more information for older dogs, not tiny puppies. It didn't grow any larger overnight and I'll see how it is tonight when I'm home from work. He's running around like normal and eating normally.

Any suggestions as to what it may be? Could it be cancerous in a young puppy?

Thanks in advance! x

:( Not sure but the first thing that came to mind was a Microchip that had moved...????

I am sure there will be others with more insight that will pop in.

Good Luck at the Vets tomorrow and I look forward to a happy dance from you with all good news :)

She said it could be a reaction from his 12 week vaccination (09/01/2012) and not to worry..

I recall one of my puppies having a similar reaction to the vaccination.

Not somewhere other than the jab sight though?

My little girl has a lump on its tummy and it was noticed by the Vet at 12 weeks. The Vet has diagnosed it as a Hernia. He said we will wait until she is de-sexed to have it removed as it is no concern. Shanti "our little Buddha" staffy is having both operations this coming Monday. Very routine.

This may be the problem with your puppy?

When my puppy was 6 weeks old the breeder rang me to say that the puppy had a lump on her groin. Her vet thought it was either a fat deposit (which would dissolve in time) or a hernia which would need to be taken out when she was desexed. She gave me the option of not buying the puppy but I couldn't do that I was already in love with her. :)

By the time I got her at 9 weeks I couldn't find it! When I took her for her vaccinations my vet gave her the once over & couldn't find it either so turns out it was a fat deposit! ;)

Hopefully its just something like that for your pup.

Guest english.ivy

Sounds like a lipoma aka fatty cyst.

My Belgian Shepherd has one in the same spot. It's been checked by a vet and I was assured not to worry. Hers appeared at around the age of three.

It feels to be slowly getting smaller since feeding her coconut oil.

All of my dogs have had a reaction and a lump to thier vaccination sites that have appeared in the neck/collar area. But I also have a puppy whose microchip has moved and so he has a small lump on his shoulder. Im sure its nothing to worry about. Microchips can move from thier implantation site and cause a small lump.

Thank you everyone for your positivity! I'm trying not to worry so much.

I really need to stop googling things! I've realised it's just as bad googling for puppy problems as it is for human ones. Google has told me some huge porkies about my health in the past! :laugh: (so did the nurse on call hotline but that's another story haha). :o

I really hope you're all right and that it is something minor! I'm almost home from work so I'll be able to recheck for any signs on becoming larger.

post-42407-132686901866_thumb.jpg

We've just got back from visiting the vet :)

The vet took a sample from the lump and said that the whole sample was just fat so it would be unlikely it would be anything sinister. It'll take about 4 hours to get the actual result, but she said that she's pretty confident that it's just a fatty lump.

Phew!! :D

I promise I'll never google diagnose again :laugh:

We've just got back from visiting the vet :)

The vet took a sample from the lump and said that the whole sample was just fat so it would be unlikely it would be anything sinister. It'll take about 4 hours to get the actual result, but she said that she's pretty confident that it's just a fatty lump.

Phew!! :D

I promise I'll never google diagnose again :laugh:

Great News......Google can be a very scary thing -