Dog Attack - Lyndhurst Vic

Pawprints

I just wanted to advise and warn that my friend was attacked while walking (on her own) around her estate in Lyndhurst last night.

She was walking and an 'older couple" (she described them as having grey hair) walked towards her on the footpath with 3 dogs, on lead, one Jack Russell and 2 unidentified, medium sized breed, black and brown dogs.

As she approached, she walked onto the naturestip to go around them as 2 people and 3 dogs take up the entire footpath and as she walked around, one of the black/brown dogs lunged and bit her on the calf quite badly. She fell to the ground, calf gashed and bleeding and the guy asked her "if he got her" which was blatantly obvious. My friend started crying and said yes, and the couple turned and walked off quickly.

My friend was upset and in shock and so couldn't run after them.

So please be warned if you are in that area and see this couple. We are currently trying to establish where they live to make a report. Any information would also be welcome.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is terrible. Your poor friend, I hope she is ok.

Make sure she goes to the doctor (obvious I know) and gets a report, then makes a full report to Animal Control and the police. Even if she doesn't have specifics like where they live, best to make a report as early as possible and then give further details later if necessary.

Wow that is terrible. Your poor friend, I hope she is ok.

Make sure she goes to the doctor (obvious I know) and gets a report, then makes a full report to Animal Control and the police. Even if she doesn't have specifics like where they live, best to make a report as early as possible and then give further details later if necessary.

Thanks K&P, she did go to the doctor and got a tetanus shot and bandaged up. They have kept the file at the doctors and she is contacting the police today.

Hope your friend will be alright. What low lifes just walking away like that, People like that is what gives us responable owners a bad name. I hope they get caught and coupe a big fine for what there dog has done.

Sounds like from their reaction that this may not be the first instance :dropjaw:

Hope your friend will be alright. What low lifes just walking away like that, People like that is what gives us responable owners a bad name. I hope they get caught and coupe a big fine for what there dog has done.

Sounds like from their reaction that this may not be the first instance :dropjaw:

My first thought as well. :mad

I agree as she said that just before she went around them, as she apporached, the guy tugged the lead on the dog and said "come here" or something to that effect.

Just fortunate that your friend did not break any bones falling over. !

Hope she's OK.. and that the offenders are found.

They possibly walk at a similar time each time they walk.. so maybe some discreet drive bys every so often?

Yes they might lay low for a week or so and not walk their dogs but when they do, hopefully we will see them.

Dog's can be unpredictable and when passing dogs that I don't know or know of their behavioual history, I personally take a wide enough berth out of leash range so they can't get to me and bite which to me is just common sense? Why pass so close that a leashed dog can make contact. IMHO the lady who got bitten could have avoided that herself :confused:

Edited by mace

Dog's can be unpredictable and when passing dogs that I don't know or know of their behavioual history, I personally take a wide enough berth out of leash range so they can't get to me and bite which to me is just common sense? Why pass so close that a leashed dog can make contact. IMHO the lady who got bitten could have avoided that herself :confused:

Oh come on! It's hardly her fault!

Mace that is a little harsh.

This lady has every right to walk her neighborhood without fear of getting bitten by a random dog. I know that in my surrounding streets which are very narrow if I was walking out of range of the leash everytime I passed a dog I would be walking out onto the road which is very unsafe in itself.

We all need to excerise caution and use common sense around unknown dogs but the onus needs to be on the owner to ensure their dogs are effectively controlled and unable to hurt innocent passers by.

To the OP I hope your friend recovers quickly and those idiot owners are found and held accountable.

Are you for real! I'm sorry that my friend didn't have the capacity in a split instance to calcualte the angle and extension of a dogs lead, taking into consideration the length of the owners arm and elasticity of the lead. :banghead:

The dog owners should have moved off the path/shortened the leash and given the walker enough room to remain - especially since it seems like this dog has done something similar before? This is what I do with my dogs and they have never bitten anyone. I often put them in a sit and get them to focus on me - people appreciate this and often thank me.

Right, people if this should ever happen to you (and pray to god it doesn't) lay on the ground if you are in an urban area and scream you lungs out.

Should bring out a few neighbours who be could act as a witness. Nothing like having a body of people about who may be able to recognise the persons or at least help identify at a later date.

Such a pity that walking your dog happily should come to this.

OMG are you serious?? It is not PP friend's fault. It is the idiot owning/walking the dog that is at fault. The owner obviously knew the dog was reactive to strangers, so they should have moved off the path and correctly restrained/controlled their dog until the person had passed.

Whenever walking my dogs, they are instructed to sit or drop to allow the passing people room to move, but also to instil in the general public confidence that my dogs are under control and well behaved. As megan said people appreciate this. A bit of common courtesy goes a long way, and prevents many problems for me and my chosen breed.

IMHO the lady who got bitten could have avoided that herself :confused:
As she approached, she walked onto the naturestip to go around them as 2 people and 3 dogs take up the entire footpath and as she walked around,

Seems to me that she did try and avoid contact . She had no dog with her , I think... so would not have thought of any reason to be lunged at/bitten