Dog Attack - Lyndhurst Vic

Pawprints

The definition of "effective control" is that the dog is leashed and secured to a person, it was and therefore doesn't breach requirement of effective control.

The dog bit, so it wasn't under control. You have a strange way of interpreting dog laws which don't seem to have any basis in reality.

I walk my dogs daily past people on a main road, there is no space at all for people to move away. One side is a busy road, the other side has high retaining walls. The bus shelters on the path force me within half a metre of people sitting or standing there. It is my responsibility to make sure my dog doesn't bite, it's not the public's responsibility to avoid the dog.

Your posts seem to put all responsibility on the person bitten, and none on the dog owner. It is that attitude that means that dogs have been totally banned from some areas. If you are going to support that strategy here on DOL and put forward the irresponsible line that dogs are dangerous and must be avoided, you can expect an argument.

Nobody deserves to be bitten for walking past a dog in the street.

I hope this dog is declared dangerous and forced to wear a muzzle whenever it is off its property. Despite your waffle an investigation would be pretty straightforward if the couple can be identified. There was no provocation, this dog is just aggressive and needs to be controlled more effectively. Common sense tells us that bad dogs like these need to be tightly controlled, the public should not have to be fearful of all dogs in the streets. Your posts are just needless scaremongering.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dog owners are criminals. It is just like a hit and run if in a car. If , for example these people witnessed their child throwing a rock off a bridge that injured someone, they would probably take off then aswell. It happened to be their dogs that were the catalyst of an incident highlighting some people's negligence/ lack of responsibility or tendency toward criminality.

The injured woman was wise to give these people and their dogs a wide berth, it's unfortunate that for whatever reason it wasn't enough . Walking towards people hogging the footpath with large dogs who are not willing to engage or acknowledge that people may be afraid of dogs sends a clear message to get out of their way.

Similarly , when guys are drag racing down my street, I get as far from the street as possible. I don't have much faith in their driving skills or their comprehension of a possible calamity.

I hope the OPs friend is getting help from police and that the image of large dogs isn't too tarnished by this incident.

So I need to crawl into a hole for providing a solution to avoid getting bitten by a leashed dog :rofl:

How is trying to blame the victim a solution. It has already been said that the victim tried to avoid the dogs by going onto the naturestrip. If what I read from you is correct it would be more ideal to walk on the road and possibly cause a car accident which could result in greater injuries or even the lose of a life?

As others have already said the owners should be found and charged and their dog PTS.

And the victim may have been able to avoid it is my point. Nothing in this case suggests that there was not room for the victim to avoid the dog's leash range, for all we know, she may have brushed past the dog when there was 20 feet of nature strip to use if required? The bottom line is, do as she did and get bitten or do as I have suggested and avoid it, take your pick I guess?

I don't buy the argument that it's reasonable for someone to get out of full leash range on a footpath. In many cases five feet away from the dog would require walking out onto the road if the dog walker isn't making room, and that's often going to be far more dangerous.

How can you not buy the argument when the thread is about someone getting bitten within leash range of a dog? The only reasoning is whether to run the risk of getting bitten or avoiding the possiblity as best you can?

As already said, it's not practical to get 5 - 6 feet away from every dog, and can be very dangerous. You don't know what kind of conditions were involved in the situation, and neither to I, but there are plenty of situations on footpaths where that solution is impossible or dangerous - is the footpath right next to a busy road or in a narrow alley? Is there a tree or parked car on the nature strip and in the way? Is there an overhanging hedge or tree which means that the dog walker is already forced away from the path and towards the road and you then have to go further out into the road? Is the pedestrian disabled or frail and really can't get out of the way easily? Should all of these situations just be avoided? If so, nobody could ever go for a walk.

Guest donatella

If your dog EVER has potential to attack or bite another person or animal leashed or not leashed it should be muzzled while out END OF STORY.

This attack was preventable and is the owners fault entirely.

And what were the owners thinking?? If you have a reactive dog you take precautions when walking it, step out of peoples way, have your dog under effective control, walk it in a muzzle. It is not up to people out walking to stay out of your dogs way it is up to you to make sure your dog is safe.

I hope your friend is and not just physically - dog attacks are very traumatic. Unbelievable that the people that allowed it to happen just took off and left her there hurt and bleeding. But seems to be what people do now. A friend and her dog were viciously attacked and the idiot whose dog caused the damage just took off luckily there were others around that came to her aid as she required hospitalisation and was very lucky not to lose the use of her hand, her dog needed vet care as well. What the hell is wrong with these people they clearly know their dogs have problems and yet they do nothing to ensure either their dogs or anyone elses safety.

Thank you to all the constructive posts. My friend is recovering but still very shaken. She was just glad that she was not walking her own dog, but she decided to leave her home that day as she is a pug and it was a hot day. It could have been even worse I imagine.

To clarify for those like Mace, she did give them a wide enough berth, their area is tree lined naturestrips so rather than walking on the road, she walked on the naturestrip. Being a dog owner she felt confident to pass them. Not so much now I'm afraid.

We are still keeping an eye out for them, they have to come out some time ;)

Don't wait until you find them, make the report now. Council or police may already know who they are given they have three dogs. Your friend needs to visit a doctor if she hasn't already, and you could report it to either the police or the council.

And what were the owners thinking?? If you have a reactive dog you take precautions when walking it, step out of peoples way, have your dog under effective control, walk it in a muzzle. It is not up to people out walking to stay out of your dogs way it is up to you to make sure your dog is safe.

Totally agree. While my dogs are perfectly friendly with all strangers, I still get them to move to the nature strip when I see people walking on the footpath. But if any of my dogs had ever snapped at a passer-by, I would ensure that the dog is always walked with a muzzle. I would do this to ensure the safety of my dog, as well as the safety of everyone else.

Yes tell your friend not to wait to find out who they are to report the incident. Otherwise there might be questions why she waited so long.

Make sure she gets a picture of the injury as well while it is still as fresh as possible. This is also something the police may want to do so getting in to see them while the injury is fresh is important as well.

Yes tell your friend not to wait to find out who they are to report the incident. Otherwise there might be questions why she waited so long.

Make sure she gets a picture of the injury as well while it is still as fresh as possible. This is also something the police may want to do so getting in to see them while the injury is fresh is important as well.

This is great advice K and P :thumbsup:

Congrats mace on getting the rise out of people you were hoping for. Go and crawl back into your hole :rolleyes:

Having never owned a human aggressive dog before I could be jumping the gun a bit and probably open to flaming here, but if I had a dog that was human aggressive and could just bite random passers-by unprovoked, they wouldn't be my dog for much longer... no way would I want that risk, and no way should I be putting anyone else at risk! Human aggressive to me is a whole new ball game, not one I'd ever wish to play. Having being bitten myself on the calf by a random walking dog in my own neighbourhood when I was simply walking home, I can certainly sympathise with the OP's friend. Hope she doesn't have any lasting scars, physical and emotional - a dog bite can really shatter your confidence to simply walk down the street. I hope the owner's get found.

So I need to crawl into a hole for providing a solution to avoid getting bitten by a leashed dog :rofl:

You may get away with sticking your head in the sand.

This is great advice K and P :thumbsup:

With her face in the picture. A photo of a bite wound that doesn't identify the person is next to useless :(

And the victim may have been able to avoid it is my point. Nothing in this case suggests that there was not room for the victim to avoid the dog's leash range, for all we know, she may have brushed past the dog when there was 20 feet of nature strip to use if required? The bottom line is, do as she did and get bitten or do as I have suggested and avoid it, take your pick I guess?

At least you acknowledge the person who was bitten is the victim, though like the others, I'm not sure why you blame the victim for being bitten. It makes me wonder if you also blame victims of crimes for being victims.

At least you acknowledge the person who was bitten is the victim, though like the others, I'm not sure why you blame the victim for being bitten. It makes me wonder if you also blame victims of crimes for being victims.

it makes me wonder if mace owns a dog who bites and blames it on other people who accidently stay within it's trigger zone.

To the OP - any updates?! Something like this should be reported without doubt. Feel free to PM me as I'd be happy to assist with anything. I live in the area and would certainly hate to come into contact with dogs like this - especially if they were off leash!! :eek:

Edited by leopuppy04

To the OP - any updates?! Something like this should be reported without doubt. Feel free to PM me as I'd be happy to assist with anything. I live in the area and would certainly hate to come into contact with dogs like this - especially if they were off leash!! :eek:

Thanks LP. She has reported it to the police and Animal Control, taken pics of the bite (she took them at the time). The doctors also have the report of when she came in to be treated for the wounds too. We just have to wait now and hope they take their doggies for a walk again soon! ;)

I hope your poor friend is okay Pawprints, thank god she didnt have her little dog with her!

Glad to see that she's reported it and taken photos. Let Leopuppy know the descriptions of the people and their dogs, she can keep an eye out for them too.