Dangerous Dog Laws

Pitchick

Hi all

Just wanted some information on the dangerous dogs laws in NSW.

Its been a while and cant remember a lot of stuff, but was hoping someone could help me out.

Some questions i have are:

- how many times does a dog have to be reported to council before they declare it to be dangerous?

- can this declaration be reversed after a period of time and if the dog can pass a few temp tests?

- does this vary from council to council or is it an overall law for NSW?

Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mel

Heya.

Im not sure if there is an amount of time? I thought once it was declared and NOI was sent that was it? Im sure someone else will be around to comment but just saw your name and wanted to say hi :)

Hey Teebs

Yeah havent been on for a long time. Was a bit over all the crap back at the time.

- how many times does a dog have to be reported to council before they declare it to be dangerous?

After an NOI has been issued the dog can be declared after any incid3ent, be it the forst one or one of many

- can this declaration be reversed after a period of time and if the dog can pass a few temp tests?

Yes, you can apply to have the declaration revoked after 6 months ( from memory ).

Nope, every council falls under the Companion Animals Act

Some however may be a little more trigger happy than others and some may refuse to revoke or put up more of a fight

If you need help contact K9 Pro

After an NOI has been issued the dog can be declared after any incid3ent, be it the forst one or one of many

Yes, you can apply to have the declaration revoked after 6 months ( from memory ).

Nope, every council falls under the Companion Animals Act

Some however may be a little more trigger happy than others and some may refuse to revoke or put up more of a fight

If you need help contact K9 Pro

Thank you for the info

Hi Pitchick

It doesn't matter what the Dangerous Dog Law states, it is what your local council ranger decides is dangerous and what is not.

Unfortunately, in our area Marrickville Council, even thoough OH was bitten by what appeared to me to be a large X-breed American Pitbull, and the dog chase my daughter and I. The police attended but the council has not acted on the dog at all!!!

Hi Pitchick

It doesn't matter what the Dangerous Dog Law states, it is what your local council ranger decides is dangerous and what is not.

Unfortunately, in our area Marrickville Council, even thoough OH was bitten by what appeared to me to be a large X-breed American Pitbull, and the dog chase my daughter and I. The police attended but the council has not acted on the dog at all!!!

Could it have been a Mastiff Cross, Amstaff Cross, AmBull cross....?

Hi Pitchick

You wouldn't necessarily be informed of action against the owner.

Yet if the dog is still acting up, you should keep reporting. Police can declare a dog dangerous under the Act, they don't need to get a ranger to do it.

The owner walks the dog off lead everyday pass our house and passed the local primary school. We are not the first people this dog has rushed!!!!

This dog looks very similar almost identical to pictures of purebreed Amstaff shown on American websites!

The owner walks the dog off lead everyday pass our house and passed the local primary school. We are not the first people this dog has rushed!!!!

This dog looks very similar almost identical to pictures of purebreed Amstaff shown on American websites!

why didn't you say amstaff then? a large pitbull cross could look like anything.

This dog looks very similar almost identical to pictures of purebreed Amstaff shown on American websites

Doesn't matter what the dog is or looks like, if it's harrassing people or animals whether or not harm done - it can be declared dangerous. Read the act. I linked it up the top.

Keep reporting it, and demanding action and contact your elected rep if the dog is still out and scaring people.

This dog looks very similar almost identical to pictures of purebreed Amstaff shown on American websites

Doesn't matter what the dog is or looks like, if it's harrassing people or animals whether or not harm done - it can be declared dangerous. Read the act. I linked it up the top.

Keep reporting it, and demanding action and contact your elected rep if the dog is still out and scaring people.

You're right, if it's harrassing then it can be declared dangerous and it shouldn't matter what it looks like. However if you mention pitbull in the same sentence people automatically blame all pitbulls and the hype continues, and as suspected it went from being a large pitbull to a pure bred amstaff lookalike?.. it could be a number of bitsas, it could be a pitbull... how about people ask the owners before spreading news that a pitbull is harrassing people, or for that matter an amstaff..

If it is harassing and no harm is done it can be declared menacing (not dangerous) e.g. in Queensland. That would even be a dog that just frigthenes someone.

In NSW they are refered to as nuisance http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragview/inforce/act+87+1998+pt.3-div.1-sec.21+0+N?autoquery=(Content%3D((%22dog%22)%20AND%20(%22dangerous%22)))%20AND%20((Type%3D%22act%22%20AND%20Repealed%3D%22N%22)%20OR%20(Type%3D%22subordleg%22%20AND%20Repealed%3D%22N%22))&dq=Document%20Types%3D%22Acts,%20Regs%22,%20Any%20Words%3D%22dangerous%22,%20Exact%20Phrase%3D%22dog%22,%20Search%20In%3D%22Text%22&fullquery=(((%22dog%22)%20AND%20(%22dangerous%22)))&tocnav=y

Edited by morgerot

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on my situation,

I have a bullmastiff cross bandog, he has just turned one, a week back.

He is the quietest, most placid dog. Doesn't bark at ppl walking past, does not escape, and all round just loves to sit on you and have a cuddle. So in other words the biggest sook in town.

Yesterday we had the ranger from our local council come round, and give us a notice regarding our boy, the notice pretty much stated that he is a dangerous dog, and more action will be taken.

Does anybody know anything regarding this? As there is no way they are taking my boy, we intend to take this further, but are unclear of our chances. We have done everything right, he is micro chipped and registered as the exact breed he is. He has never endangered anyone, nor even raised a backward ear. If anything, it would be death by licks from him.

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on my situation,

I have a bullmastiff cross bandog, he has just turned one, a week back.

He is the quietest, most placid dog. Doesn't bark at ppl walking past, does not escape, and all round just loves to sit on you and have a cuddle. So in other words the biggest sook in town.

Yesterday we had the ranger from our local council come round, and give us a notice regarding our boy, the notice pretty much stated that he is a dangerous dog, and more action will be taken.

Does anybody know anything regarding this? As there is no way they are taking my boy, we intend to take this further, but are unclear of our chances. We have done everything right, he is micro chipped and registered as the exact breed he is. He has never endangered anyone, nor even raised a backward ear. If anything, it would be death by licks from him.

Hi there, this really needs to be a new thread so that it attracts maximum attention. There are some people on this forum that will be able to give you some very helpful information to help you and your dog, good luck.