'how To Build A Dog'

persephone

interesting article, thanks for posting

Article was interesting but I couldn't get passed those horrible cropped ears in the photos section. shudder

For photos of extreme dogs, I recommend:

dogshowpoop.blogspot.com

Personally, I'm more grossed out by coiffure than ears that have been tampered with. But then, I'm not into cosmetics and I would never own a long haired dog.

I'm with you sandgrubber. The ears are just a one-off procedure - couple of months and the dog has erect ears for a life time that usually don't warrant any further concern. Plus I like the look of erect ears on dobermans and great danes but that's a personal thing. Those coats though - that's a lifetime commitment and I can imagine it would be quite miserable for the dog if not maintained perfectly...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is good that there are so many choices isn't it, owning any pet is a lifetime commitment, if you cannot be stuffed grooming don't buy a coated breed, the same goes for high energy dogs don't buy one if you can't go the distance.

There is a huge difference however between the big show coats that are painstakingly maintained and your run of the family dog coat.

I don't think there are that many choices if you want a dog with erect ears. Lets say you want a dog like a doberman - very fast, very athletic, protective and loving. You could get a GSD but man those things shed and they are disabled in the heat (my dog can continue working for a long time after the GSD's have retired due to increasing temperatures). And we have had a few days recently in the high 30's. Well my dogs are still running around in the backyard, a little quieter and enjoying the water features sure, but the GSD's over the road are passed out on the floor inside next to the air conditioner. So short-coated breeds with erect ears - a basenji? a pharaoh hound? Malinois's have very different temperaments to dobermans and GSD's and again it doesn't suit me.

There are much fewer breeds with erect ears than floppy, and many of those breeds are the older ones - the spitz and the basenji, pharaoh hounds etc so I don't accept the comment that we have lots of choice if we want an erect eared dog.

I prefer dogs with erect ears and I like breeds which are trainable - I don't see that there is a shortage of choice at all? For bigger dogs that can be protective - GSD, Malinois, Dutch Shepherd, medium dogs - Kelpie, Koolie

OF course the temperament is not the same as a Dobermann - they are different breeds

interesting article, thanks for posting

Article was interesting but I couldn't get passed those horrible cropped ears in the photos section. shudder

dogshowpoop.blogspot.com

Personally, I'm more grossed out by coiffure than ears that have been tampered with. But then, I'm not into cosmetics and I would never own a long haired dog.

You're probably more desensitised to cropped ears Sandgrubber, given your location.

But at least hair can be changed and grow to what the owner likes. Those ears aren't growing back. :cry:

To be honest, I like the look of cropped ears on a Dobe :shrug: Not the huge, batty ears but the small, neat erect ears that make them look more alert (like this). I honestly don't see much difference between ear cropping and tail docking. After all, that tail isn't going to grow back either.

As for the dogs on the other site linked.. while I'm not a fan of fluffy, girly-looking dogs, I can appreciate the enormous level of skill that's obviously gone into some of those clips.

While I will agree your example it is far nicer and less extreme....I still believe if you want a dog with erect ears, then get a dog with erect ears. There are plenty to choose from. It's not rocket science.

Not a fan of docked tails either I'm afraid, but each to their own when it comes to fashion (and lets face in this day and age practicality doesn't come into it) it's ALL about fashion.

Easier said than done if you're after a dog of a certain type and temperament (things that really do matter when considering breeds). The cosmetic things.. while some of them are obviously just about aesthetics, others do have more practical backgrounds and reasoning behind them.

And then there are other cosmetic traits (bred in, rather than altered after birth) that can potentially shorten a dog's life and cause them considerable discomfort so I have to admit I find it odd that people (not meaning you, speaking generally) can be so anti-tail docking (for example) but be okay with dogs that suffer skin conditions because of the desirable skin wrinkling.

typo

I do agree with you on that issue Hardy's Angel, there is no logic in overlooking the animals comfort before aesthetics, but I believe this is happening due to the overzealous drive for extremes in some breeds. A WHOLE other thread. :) albeit part of "building a dog".

You are lucky, you have a breed that changes it's ear set itself... :laugh: I love the way a grey or whippet will unfurl it ears like a sail when it becomes alert.

Meanwhile if we got together an "built" the "perfect" dog I wonder what it would look like...my guess is a wolf. ;)

I don't think there are that many choices if you want a dog with erect ears. Lets say you want a dog like a doberman - very fast, very athletic, protective and loving. You could get a GSD but man those things shed and they are disabled in the heat (my dog can continue working for a long time after the GSD's have retired due to increasing temperatures). And we have had a few days recently in the high 30's. Well my dogs are still running around in the backyard, a little quieter and enjoying the water features sure, but the GSD's over the road are passed out on the floor inside next to the air conditioner. So short-coated breeds with erect ears - a basenji? a pharaoh hound? Malinois's have very different temperaments to dobermans and GSD's and again it doesn't suit me.

There are much fewer breeds with erect ears than floppy, and many of those breeds are the older ones - the spitz and the basenji, pharaoh hounds etc so I don't accept the comment that we have lots of choice if we want an erect eared dog.

Shhhhh...you're creating an argument FOR DD's. ;)

wow I must tell my GSD she is disabled..she doesn't know that....actually if we had aircon she probably would be in it, if I was, but we don't have that luxury...doesn't phase her though...Qld dogs are tough obviously, she helped out fencing and moving wayward ponies yesterday..she'll do me. That's the thing though isn't it choice.

Scientists have found the secret recipe behind the spectacular variety of dog shapes and sizes, and it could help unravel the complexity of human genetic disease.

... because dogs have been genetically segregated into breeds developed from just a few original individuals, each breed has a much smaller set of errant genes—often only one or two—underlying the disease.

this just reinforces the argument for purebred dogs.

Which can only be a good thing.

I should think its better to have a small number of errant genes than to be full of them.

But we already knew that. :D

Px

You could get a GSD but man those things shed and they are disabled in the heat (my dog can continue working for a long time after the GSD's have retired due to increasing temperatures). And we have had a few days recently in the high 30's. Well my dogs are still running around in the backyard, a little quieter and enjoying the water features sure, but the GSD's over the road are passed out on the floor inside next to the air conditioner.

You what?

That seems a vast generalisation. Many coats on dogs have evolved as insulation against heat as well as cold, comments like this seem a little ignorant and potentially damaging to a breed's reputation.

Plenty of coated breeds live and work successfully in hot climates without being "disabled".

My GSD does not cope with the heat anywhere near as well as my Kelpies - but you would expect that as Kelpies were bred to do very well in Australian conditions.

Exactly...I'm sure your Kelpies (or a Doberman) would not enjoy sleeping outdoors in the snow in Graz, Austria either when it is -4 degrees whereas that would be par for the course for the GSD.

Horses for course...pure breeds evolved for purposes. :)

You could get a GSD but man those things shed and they are disabled in the heat (my dog can continue working for a long time after the GSD's have retired due to increasing temperatures). And we have had a few days recently in the high 30's. Well my dogs are still running around in the backyard, a little quieter and enjoying the water features sure, but the GSD's over the road are passed out on the floor inside next to the air conditioner.

You what?

That seems a vast generalisation. Many coats on dogs have evolved as insulation against heat as well as cold, comments like this seem a little ignorant and potentially damaging to a breed's reputation.

Plenty of coated breeds live and work successfully in hot climates without being "disabled".

Well woopie dah for your dobie x! Also referring to GSDs as 'those things' is pretty offensive! There are just as many ppl out and abt who don't like dobes! (me not included).

My dogs have the english style shepherd coat so no they don't walk at 11am in 35 degree heat, yet neither do I, plain stupid unless you and the dog absolutely have to!

As ppl have said dogs evolved in places often quite different to where ppl keep them today, dogs with erect ears that can work, you want to pick on Huskies or Mals next? :rolleyes:

Edited by german_shep_fan

As far as I have been able to understand, dogs work a split shift.

They are most active in the morning and then again in the evening.

During the middle of the day, they sleep most of the time unless they are disturbed.

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

Careless need not be care less. ;)

Px

As far as I have been able to understand, dogs work a split shift.

They are most active in the morning and then again in the evening.

During the middle of the day, they sleep most of the time unless they are disturbed.

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

Careless need not be care less. ;)

Px

Yes, just showing good sense. :)

[

dogshowpoop.blogspot.com

Some of those dogs are stunning :love:

You what?

Well woopie dah for your dobie x! Also referring to GSDs as 'those things' is pretty offensive! There are just as many ppl out and abt who don't like dobes! (me not included).

My dogs have the english style shepherd coat so no they don't walk at 11am in 35 degree heat, yet neither do I, plain stupid unless you and the dog absolutely have to!

As ppl have said dogs evolved in places often quite different to where ppl keep them today, dogs with erect ears that can work, you want to pick on Huskies or Mals next? :rolleyes:

I wasn't picking on any dogs. People were trying to say that you had a lot of choice if you wanted a dog with erect ears. I am arguing that I don't feel that's the case. I simply said a GSD wouldn't suit me - where I live heat tolerance is much more important than cold and my dogs sleep inside at night.

If I moved to the snow, I would happily own a GSD. They are my second favourite breed of dog. Just right now and where I live, a dog with a short coat is going to be much more comfortable, and better able to accompany me when I exercise on days when the temperature is too hot really for a GSD to be outside, much less exercising. We are a very active family and I would hate to have to leave my dog at home. There are no breeds that I know of that have the working ability of the GSD, erect ears and a short coat. So if I could, I would have cropped my dog's ears - as the founder of the breed intended. Of course I'm happy with my dog anyway, I just think dogs in general (like all wild carnivores) are better with erect ears.

You what?

I wasn't picking on any dogs. People were trying to say that you had a lot of choice if you wanted a dog with erect ears. I am arguing that I don't feel that's the case. I simply said a GSD wouldn't suit me - where I live heat tolerance is much more important than cold and my dogs sleep inside at night.

If I moved to the snow, I would happily own a GSD. They are my second favourite breed of dog. Just right now and where I live, a dog with a short coat is going to be much more comfortable, and better able to accompany me when I exercise on days when the temperature is too hot really for a GSD to be outside, much less exercising. We are a very active family and I would hate to have to leave my dog at home. There are no breeds that I know of that have the working ability of the GSD, erect ears and a short coat. So if I could, I would have cropped my dog's ears - as the founder of the breed intended. Of course I'm happy with my dog anyway, I just think dogs in general (like all wild carnivores) are better with erect ears.

What about a Dutch Shepherd?

Edited by Kavik

ETA the comment that what I've said could be damaging to the breed's reputation is just ridiculous. Dobermans can't be used for police work in a lot of countries because they get to cold, plus, the GSD's coat affords it extra protection. But in Australia, out in the sun, the doberman has an advantage because it has the shorter coat. My dobie cross has a much easier time in summer than the GSD's. In winter, it would be the other way around but our summers are much longer than our winters and so the short-coat is better suited.

You what?

What abt a Cattle dog or Kelpie then? :)

My shepherds are the old style german sheps so they have the nice fluffy style coats. Great for winter, but early and/or late walks in summer. A general aussie working dog that is used to working in the aussie sun may be a good choice :)

ETA the comment that what I've said could be damaging to the breed's reputation is just ridiculous. Dobermans can't be used for police work in a lot of countries because they get to cold, plus, the GSD's coat affords it extra protection. But in Australia, out in the sun, the doberman has an advantage because it has the shorter coat. My dobie cross has a much easier time in summer than the GSD's. In winter, it would be the other way around but our summers are much longer than our winters and so the short-coat is better suited.

Really depends on the colour of your Dobie. What is yours crossed with and what colour is he?

I have been given to understand that a short black coat, as found in Dobermans and Rottwellers have less heat tolerance than the more insulated GSD coat, which pockets of air help to keep them cool as well as warm. That is why the Kelpie copes with heat, his coat is far from sleek and short when compared to a Doberman or Rottie.

The short black hairs will attract heat, it's one of the reason why we put white cotton rugs on black horses (and to save us some brushing ;) ).