Are Irregular Seasons Inherited?

Leema

30 members have voted

1. 1. In your experience, are irregular seasons inherited?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other.
    • No experience.
  2. 2. In your experience, are 'late starters' (don't have first season until an late age) inherited?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other.
    • No experience.
  3. 3. In your experience, are 'un-normal' (e.g. silent seasons and other anomalies) inherited?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other.
    • No experience.

I think there's good reason to believe late maturation is hereditary and I seem to see it in my girls.

I have never had a bitch who was highly irregular . . . off by a month or so . . . but nothing extreme. So I can't say anything about patterns . .. sample size too small.

In my lines, seasons do seem to go silent as a brood bitch matures and has had more litters, but that's not what you asked about.

Thanks for your reply, sandgrubber.

I am asking because I have a 13 month old bitch that hasn't come into season. This is late for my breed - most come in at 8-10 months. I would like to see if she comes in, but I am having doubts about breeding her as I don't want to breed a line of bitches that are late starters. (The bitch in question is daughter to a bitch that started at ~10 months.)

Thank-you to all who have voted. It seems that late starters are 'more hereditary' than the other minor-problems I mentioned. Food for thought.

I am asking because I have a 13 month old bitch that hasn't come into season. This is late for my breed - most come in at 8-10 months. I would like to see if she comes in, but I am having doubts about breeding her as I don't want to breed a line of bitches that are late starters. (The bitch in question is daughter to a bitch that started at ~10 months.)

Thank-you to all who have voted. It seems that late starters are 'more hereditary' than the other minor-problems I mentioned. Food for thought.

Leema, my foundation bitch had her first season at 13 months,

her first daughter had her first at 16 months and then had regular seasons every 4 months,

2nd daughter, first season at 13 months and I could time her 6 months to the day of her next season that was until she had a litter when 3 years old she then went 7 or 8 months between.

3rd daughter, first season at 14 months then regular at 6 months but now at 5 the last few have been 9 months apart.

My dogs are GSDs and I don't breed them until they are 3 so I don't mind if they don't season too early, though I did start to worry about the one that had her first season at 16 months.

Im curious to know why you would be concerned about breeding a line of bitches which are late starters? My girls - beagles and Maremma don't come in until they are 14 to 18 months old and I prefer to mate them on their first season .I prefer that than have to allow them to go through a season before they mate because they are too young.

In my experience seasons are dictated by the weather - if it is really rainy then bitches know that when they have their puppies there will probably food around to feed them .Really long hot dry summers will often give longer gaps between seasons.

My vet didn't agree with this as she said dogs living in human homes get a constant supply of food and their environment isn't really affected as it would be if they didnt have humans to look after them. So me and a couple of others started to take more notice and the vet came around to our thoughts too . We even tried putting sprinklers on the roof to act like rain to see if that made any difference. rofl1.gif

Cats only breed if there are a certain amount of daylight hours so you can actually manipulate a breeding cats by always having her in the same controlled environment and artificial light.

No idea but I did just desex my timekeeper. She came in every 6.5mths without fail and everyone followed her. I am currently twiddling my thumbs waiting for seasons that all should have started a month ago- I hope one of my pups will take over, knowing my luck they won't lol.

Edited by Jumabaar

What is the problem with them starting late? Anything from 8 - 18 months is considered normal in my breed and most of us prefer them later with seasons further apart because we usually don't breed them until 2-3 years at the earliest. Quite a few don't have their first litter until 5 or even 6 years. They lose fertility with every season so far better to have a bitch having her second season at 2 years than one having her 5th at 22 months like one we bought in. She started at 6 months and then came in every 4 months. She had many more problems like silent seasons, slow whelping, etc than any of the late starters I know of. Luckilly her daughters where a bit later at 8-9 months. We bred from 3 of them with one having normal seasons and normal whelping, one having 5 to 7 month seasons and normal whelping and the other difficult to get in whelp, bad whelper, etc. The last one was the best dog so her progeny have continued the line and each generation has been more normal with less problems.

I like 'late starters' too :) With every season the uterus 'breaks down' whether the bitch is bred or not. Less seasons less often means a healthier uterus. Note Wolves often don't have their first season until around 2 years of age.