Dogs Queensland Registration

WeimMe

It's been a very long time since I bought a pup and the process seems much more involved this time around!

Can someone tell me what membership to Dogs Queensland entails? Is this something that I should be looking for or is it not important? When a breeder refers to themselves as being registered, who are they registered with and is there a way of checking that someone is legit?

I also have a question about the vet check that I see referred to so often. Does it just cover the absolute basics? One of the breeds I'm looking at often has heart issues and I'm wondering if something like that would be picked up in this test at all. Will I receive any paperwork stating that the puppy has been checked and found to be sound?

Thanks so much and my appologies if I am asking something horribly obvious. I've never bought from a breeder before and it all seems very daunting to the uninitiated. Most of the information I've been able to find online seems to be written for Americans.

From what I know, you only have to be a member of Dogs Queensland if you wish to show your dog. If your dog is intended as a pet, then there's no need.

Some breeders will do tests on the parent animals to see if they are carriers etc for the condition you are concerned about. This can tell you the chances of your pup getting it.

Others will give you more in-depth answers. :)

PS: What breed are you looking at? :D

Edited by rachiie

Hi Rachiie

Thanks for that info :)

I'm looking at Pomeranians, Poodles and King Charles Cavalier Spaniels - companion dogs. I've never had a small dog before and think it will be nice to have a lap sized dog (although I'm sure my Weim would like to sit on my lap if she could!).

Guest lavendergirl

Hi

For a recommendation for a Cavalier breeder who carries out the health checks you need perhaps pop into the Cavalier chat thread. Same with the poodle thread. Perhaps you could also check on the DOL breeders pages for registered breeders - some breeders advertise themselves as "registered" but that could mean anything. As for the "vet check" I would ask them to outline what is exactly covered in this - hearts, eyes, patellas etc - research the breed thoroughly for common faults and make sure that is covered. Good luck - they are all lovely choices.

Seeing as no one else has answered I'll give it a whirl.

Breeders who are members of Dogs Queensland have to do an exam to get registered. If they say they are registered with DQ that's good in my books. Ask the breeder who they are registered with. I take it you've got someone in mind and aren't looking for breeders?

And a vet check is very different to 'health checks' which in some breeds involve mandatory genetic screening etc.

An example of a vet check is taking pups to the vet and having heart listened to, temp taken, abdomen palpated. Just like if you took your older dog in for a check up.

Health tests are targetted to problem condions etc. So xrays of hips in breeds known for displaysia, hearing tests in breeds known for deafness, blood tests to check for genetic markers that indicate some sort of condition.

Most health tests are done on the parents, to ensure maximum chance of healthy pups free of damaging congenital issues.

I think there are some in poodles and cavaliers that are compulsory, so ANKC registered breeders must complete them and provide proof before the pups get registered.

I thought that might be the case - thanks so much for all your help. I've seen an ad for some pups that looks promising, but I'm a bit more cautious this time. We'll see how it goes, otherwise I think I'll probably put my name on a waiting list with a breeder I feel comfortable with.

If the breeder is on dogzonline they are a registered breeder with their state canine body (in Qld being Dogs Qld). If you see an ad elsewhere and they say they are registered you can just nicely ask them who they are registered with.

Also, ANKC website has information about the health tests that a registered breeder must do for all breeds. Some have none. I know cavs do though.

Good luck.

Edited by buddy1