Wow! Haven't Prices Change In 10 Years!

Roova

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I paid $300 for my Weim in 2000 - she's from registered parents but had no papers herself. As we lived in a small town at that time we were thrilled just to be able to find one as they were not a popular breed back then.

Well these are my first WHippets but one was $650 back in 2007 MR and one was $850 in 2008. The price varies from $650 upwards to &1400 I think.

My last Dobe was a very discounted $500 in 1999 ( the breeders general price was $1000) they are now $1500 upwards. They are now greatly health tested so I think the increase in price is warrented as long as they have had all their health tests and I would have no issues paying that for a pup from health tested parents.

Well these are my first WHippets but one was $650 back in 2007 MR and one was $850 in 2008. The price varies from $650 upwards to &1400 I think.

My last Dobe was a very discounted $500 in 1999 ( the breeders general price was $1000) they are now $1500 upwards. They are now greatly health tested so I think the increase in price is warrented as long as they have had all their health tests and I would have no issues paying that for a pup from health tested parents.

Bought a Schipperke with Papers in 1985 (ish) for $350. I think that was a weeks wage for me. :)

Got my Mother in Law a Whippet on MR in 2002 for $330.

Paid $650 for a CKCS on MR in 2007. And $950 for another a year later (better lines and different breeder.)

In 2003 I paid $800 for a GSD pup, she died recently of a cancer common in GSD's. Now GSD pups cost up to $1500 double the price, yet still have the same serious health problems they did then. It seems nothing has changed, only the price. :mad :mad :mad

In 2003 I paid $800 for a GSD pup, she died recently of a cancer common in GSD's. Now GSD pups cost up to $1500 double the price, yet still have the same serious health problems they did then. It seems nothing has changed, only the price. :mad :mad :mad

Whilst it is very sad for you to have lost a loved companion, there are many healthy long lived dogs out there.

Hopefully in time you will realise that.

I paid 1984 $200 for a GSD, now the cost for a GSD is around $2000, and a good quality show puppy is around $2500.

I must say with the health checks in GSD's these days they tend to have good length of life, only a couple of months ago I received an email to say one of the puppies I bred 17 1/2 years ago passed away. If find now days the average life expectancy is around 13 - 15 years.

Whilst it is very sad for you to have lost a loved companion, there are many healthy long lived dogs out there.

Hopefully in time you will realise that.

It is sad to loose a friend, but realise that people can also die young, aschildren or young adult from diseases that medical science is still trying to find cures for, and yet some people live to 100+.

My Mums GSD died of cancer (PTS) aged 10.

My previous GSD was PTS at age 14 with a colapsing sacrum.

In 2004, I bought 2x male GWP pups with restricted rego papers for $ 550 each, now paid $ 1200 for one GWP pup with restr. reg. paper. IMO, dirt cheap then and now, with one parent either imported from overseas, plus bonus Aus & US champion. What price happiness, anyhow??

We paid 300 for our first border collie in 1994. Piper in 2001 was 500 in MR. The going price now is 900 - 1000. Although some people pay stupid amounts for non black and whites from people breeding for colour and money and often not fully health tested. I had someone wanting to pay 3000 for my one non black and white puppy - no!

seems that breeders are more fussy where dogs go thank dog ! more limited register and more realistic prices. With all this the cost of travel and show entry has increased to the unbelievable, vets fees and feeding supplements etc have increased a lot and not many breeders would ultrasound their girls in the past or it wasn't available.

So great news, better health care, more extensive testing,and enlightened breeders who realised their poor dogs were being farmed. If someone doesn't want to pay for a top quality pup then they won't get one.If they can't fund a purchase then they can't pay ongoing costs which have also escalated.

our pet golden retriever costs... 1980 $250 full register, 1991 $600 full register, 2011 pups were $1200 limited register and she is worth a zillion dollars :D I have an option for full register depending how she turns out, to me she is just perfect anyway.

seems that breeders are more fussy where dogs go thank dog ! more limited register and more realistic prices. With all this the cost of travel and show entry has increased to the unbelievable, vets fees and feeding supplements etc have increased a lot and not many breeders would ultrasound their girls in the past or it wasn't available.

So great news, better health care, more extensive testing,and enlightened breeders who realised their poor dogs were being farmed. If someone doesn't want to pay for a top quality pup then they won't get one.If they can't fund a purchase then they can't pay ongoing costs which have also escalated.

our pet golden retriever costs... 1980 $250 full register, 1991 $600 full register, 2011 pups were $1200 limited register and she is worth a zillion dollars :D I have an option for full register depending how she turns out, to me she is just perfect anyway.

Aren't most show entries between $10-20?

If they can't fund a purchase then they can't pay ongoing costs which have also escalated

Im not sure I agree with that statement.

French Bulldogs for example, are worth around $3000 which is pretty expensive for most people. Especially if you have a mortage, children and well, a life. Just because that's an out of reach price for some, it doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't have the money to take care of them properly.

I worry that wellbred purebred dogs are going to become out of reach of the average person leaving bybers as the only option if someone is desperate for a certain breed. Ten years is not a great deal of time for some of the prices to have risen like they have. The average pay packet wouldn't have increased by 400%, yet the majority of dog prices have. I wonder how high they can go before some breeds become only for the elite :confused:

If they can't fund a purchase then they can't pay ongoing costs which have also escalated

Im not sure I agree with that statement.

French Bulldogs for example, are worth around $3000 which is pretty expensive for most people. Especially if you have a mortage, children and well, a life. Just because that's an out of reach price for some, it doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't have the money to take care of them properly.

I worry that wellbred purebred dogs are going to become out of reach of the average person leaving bybers as the only option if someone is desperate for a certain breed. Ten years is not a great deal of time for some of the prices to have risen like they have. The average pay packet wouldn't have increased by 400%, yet the majority of dog prices have. I wonder how high they can go before some breeds become only for the elite :confused:

The health testing now required is already pushing the costs of breeding through the roof, everything associated with Breeding has increased cost wise. Some Breeders have been forced out because of it, naturally it is going to make the cost of a puppy more expensive, but some breeds have always been at the top end of the market and out of reach of a lot of families that hasn't changed.