Puppy Farmers Attack Cruelty...

Alyosha

Dear oh dear...

http://services.apvma.gov.au/PubcrisWebClient/search.do;jsessionid=vXs3PYwLDX1dNxTyhM5FpLLhQ7Vd99JG4NmTTSvJCpp1G3bcbJMK!1534907726

ONE of Tasmania's most prolific puppy farms has spoken out in the face of controversy surrounding the state's dog-breeding industry.

"Treat all dogs with respect that's the crux of our business," said Paul Bartlett, who with his daughter Lisa operates Tasmanian Labradoodles at a farm near Epping Forest.

They said there was no place for unregistered, backyard, or any other sort of puppy farm that wasn't subject to RSPCA or council scrutiny.

Mr Bartlett said that in the context of an animal welfare storm surrounding unscrupulous breeders, his business had nothing to hide.

They breed and sell between 300 and 400 pups a year.

Of those, about 25 per cent find owners in countries as far away as Singapore, Hong Kong, Hawaii, Bermuda and Japan.

Another 25 per cent find homes in Tasmania and the rest are sold interstate.

Mr Bartlett said every pup sold for prices between $1295 and $2295, and the business, especially the overseas component was growing.

Six staff look after about 75 breeding dogs and their litters, with as many as seven pups.

"We breed for demand," Mr Bartlett said.

Emma Haswell, who owns Brightside Sanctuary, has said that unethical puppy farms can leave dogs terrified of people and with severe health problems.

She said hundreds of dogs were being used as breeding machines at puppy farms around the state.

Her sanctuary had taken in 120 former breeding dogs in the past year, including more than 30 from a puppy farm south of Hobart.

At Tasmanian Labradoodles, Mr Bartlett said two male breeders and one female were typically housed in 5m by 25m pens, with garden shed kennels at one end.

Heavily pregnant mums are moved indoors, to lie in plastic clam-shell containers for giving birth.

Mr Bartlett said that just like humans, relaxed and contented parents produced relaxed and contented pups.

"All of them, we lay them on their backs, give them belly rubs, we rub their ears, rub their paws," he said.

The dogs feast mostly on chicken, along with vegetables, eggs, yoghurt and some supplements to keep them in tip top health and condition.

Their farm is a commercial-dog-food- free zone.

Photographs of each puppy are published and regularly updated on the farm's website, in litter groups, to give prospective owners a comprehensive insight.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be having one of those blonde moments again............How exactly does her "sanctuary" save these former breeding dogs from the cycle of being permanently bred with again... I must have missed something?

And great a large pen with a kennel at one end........and two males permanently in the females run the second she goes on heat again.... no rest for the wicked apparently.

Poor girls (and boys).

With the large and every growing export market overseas I am sure they are vetting "quality" homes too.

Dear oh dear...

http://services.apvm...bJMK!1534907726

ONE of Tasmania's most prolific puppy farms has spoken out in the face of controversy surrounding the state's dog-breeding industry.

"Treat all dogs with respect that's the crux of our business," said Paul Bartlett, who with his daughter Lisa operates Tasmanian Labradoodles at a farm near Epping Forest.

They said there was no place for unregistered, backyard, or any other sort of puppy farm that wasn't subject to RSPCA or council scrutiny.

Mr Bartlett said that in the context of an animal welfare storm surrounding unscrupulous breeders, his business had nothing to hide.

Of those, about 25 per cent find owners in countries as far away as Singapore, Hong Kong, Hawaii, Bermuda and Japan.

Another 25 per cent find homes in Tasmania and the rest are sold interstate.

Mr Bartlett said every pup sold for prices between $1295 and $2295, and the business, especially the overseas component was growing.

Six staff look after about 75 breeding dogs and their litters, with as many as seven pups.

"We breed for demand," Mr Bartlett said.

Emma Haswell, who owns Brightside Sanctuary, has said that unethical puppy farms can leave dogs terrified of people and with severe health problems.

She said hundreds of dogs were being used as breeding machines at puppy farms around the state.

Her sanctuary had taken in 120 former breeding dogs in the past year, including more than 30 from a puppy farm south of Hobart.

At Tasmanian Labradoodles, Mr Bartlett said two male breeders and one female were typically housed in 5m by 25m pens, with garden shed kennels at one end.

Heavily pregnant mums are moved indoors, to lie in plastic clam-shell containers for giving birth.

Mr Bartlett said that just like humans, relaxed and contented parents produced relaxed and contented pups.

"All of them, we lay them on their backs, give them belly rubs, we rub their ears, rub their paws," he said.

The dogs feast mostly on chicken, along with vegetables, eggs, yoghurt and some supplements to keep them in tip top health and condition.

Their farm is a commercial-dog-food- free zone.

Photographs of each puppy are published and regularly updated on the farm's website, in litter groups, to give prospective owners a comprehensive insight.

Edited by Just Andrea

And as I rehome yet another unwanted Petshop puppy, these claims make me fume - yes, they breed for demand so don't buy one of those petshop puppies.

I just spoke to yet another owner who bought a dog "with papers", a purebred Maltese/Poodle dog from the local petshop.

The pictures show me that the dog is mainly a Jack Russell. It is being rehomed because it is far too energetic and demanding for teh owner.

Perhaps if they had gotten a Malt or a Poodle, they wouldn't be in the mess they are in. And now the poor little mite has to find a new home.

The problem is, unlike rescue groups, the petshop doesn't take their dogs back a year on ..... nor do the puppy farms - not that you'd ever find the guilty one via the petshop. They informed this person that no, their puppies didn't come from puppyfarms. No of course not. :mad

Edited by dogmad

I must be having one of those blonde moments again............How exactly does her "sanctuary" save these former breeding dogs from the cycle of being permanently bred with again... I must have missed something?

Emma Haswell runs Brightside ( http://www.brightside.org.au/ website seems to be down at the moment though), who do rescues for not just companion animals but also farm animals.

She's been in the news a lot over here recently because of puppy farm raids and the amount of ex breeders that Brightside has rescued, desexed and rehomed (from memory, they took in 180 puppy farm dogs last year).

Emma does great work down here and as far as I know, Brightside are the only shelter that do puppy farm rescues in the state.

The article is worded badly so I can see where there might be confusion.

The Tasmanian Labradoodle people are the ones doing the puppy farming but speaking out against puppy farming. Of course :rolleyes:

I'd be very interested to see if they'd let the general public in to look at where those dogs really live (because they sure as hell don't live in lovely rolling meadows, frolicking amongst the wild flowers).

The article is completely biased, poorly written and not really news- unless you find irony to be newsworthy, I guess.

Anyone who can breed 300+ puppies a year and sleep at night, in my opinion, is not a dog lover. At $2000 a pop, I think it's safe to assume they love something else (enough to compromise the welfare of animals).

Some interesting maths, while I'm at it.. if they have 75 adult dogs and 300+ puppies a year, assuming each dog only gets one hour of human interaction per day.. just for the adults, that 27,375 hours a year. Running 6 staff to provide daily interaction, it'd take 12.5 hours a day for them (that's 12.5 hours per staff member, loooong day) to get through all the dogs, nevermind feeding and cleaning. And that's not counting puppy interaction (300+) and care.

They "care" about their dogs? I don't see how, given they can't even care for them.

And as I rehome yet another unwanted Petshop puppy, these claims make me fume - yes, they breed for demand so don't buy one of those petshop puppies.

I just spoke to yet another owner who bought a dog "with papers", a purebred Maltese/Poodle dog from the local petshop.

The pictures show me that the dog is mainly a Jack Russell. It is being rehomed because it is far too energetic and demanding for teh owner.

Perhaps if they had gotten a Malt or a Poodle, they wouldn't be in the mess they are in. And now the poor little mite has to find a new home.

The problem is, unlike rescue groups, the petshop doesn't take their dogs back a year on ..... nor do the puppy farms - not that you'd ever find the guilty one via the petshop. They informed this person that no, their puppies didn't come from puppyfarms. No of course not. :mad

Agreed, Problem is that when they say they dont come from puppy farms they actually believe it - because their definition of a puppy farm, is not a commercial breeder . Thats how that article reads too.These breeders are proud of themselves and using what they do as some kind of model because they dont believe they are what the issue is about - they dont see commercially and huge = puppy farming.

If it is true and they really do keep 2 entire male dogs with one female its difficult to believe- apart form the obvious how would you know which was the father they would fight - more likely 2 girls with one boy.

I also found it confusing and had to go back to be sure I had one the sanctuary were doing as at first it sounded that they were also the sanctuary.

Hi All :)

Well if we are going to pick holes in this 'multi-million dollar enterprise?' then our criticism needs to be based on breechs of the known laws.

10.1.1.3 During mating, breeding pairs must be isolated from the remaining breeding population, and monitored by the person in charge.

Two males and one females is a breech.

10.1.1.6 Whelping bitches must be provided with a suitable whelping box, lined with clean bedding, changed daily.

I can't see plastic clam shells being suitable as whelping boxes. There is no protection for the pups.

10.1.1.9 Bitches must not have more than two litters in any two year period, unless with the written approval of a veterinary practitioner.

The number of pups produced suggests that continual back-to-back matings are occurring.

It is also obvious that they are ignorant of several of the guidelines in the animal Welfare Code of Practice, or they are deliberately disregarding them.

Clearly, Brightside Sanctuary is not complying with RSPCA or Council requirements.

The Council cannot allow breechs of the DPI Code of Practice

Px

Edited by Tralee

Clearly, Brightside Sanctuary is not complying with RSPCA or Council requirements.

The Council cannot allow breechs of the DPI Code of Practice

Px

Have you read the thread, it has been posted twice at least that Brightside is a rescue group NOT the puppy farm.

Correction.

Clearly, Tasmanian Labradoodles is not complying with RSPCA or Council requirements.

Edited by Tralee

"Clearly" a Tasmanian farm is not complying with NSW regulations...???

When we criticise, we need to make sure we don't look like we have no idea what we're talking about. I'm sure you would find a NSW DPI inspector who would be more than happy to make the paid trip to Tas to investigate, but he would be a bit useless when he got there..l ;)

and im sure that they check each and every new owner thoroughly before they sell to the person. including the ones over in singapore, Hong Kong, Hawaii and japan, they must fly over with the pup to make sure that the owner takes good care of the pup. then if the pup doesn't fit in im sure that they will fly back over to the mentioned country to get the pup back NOT!!!!!!!!!!

how can they sleep at night when they don't know what kind of home the pups are going to esp. in another country. its impossible to check. poor poor pups. this is what really gets my dander up.

and yes, this is the big problem isn't it, farmers aren't taking the time to match clearly if they are meeting people with pups, send pups which leads to all sorts of problems not matching owner and lifestyle to pup or breed.

can you tell the govt this? no, all they see is $$$$ along with the vets, councils and im sure its all fine just as long as they are all registered and comply to the law which states they must be clean and have percentage of staff to cater to the dogs.

grrrrrrrrr

At least they feed raw :hitself: :rolleyes: they must care.

poor dogs. 'we breed for demand'.... grrrrrrr

Have some sheep to mow the grass - saves money on fuel and oh so green.

Sheep make excellent dog food - saves you a motza on that awful processed food that has to be transported from somewhere and leaves a great big carbon footprint.

All very ethical and green in Tassie. ;)

They hit the nail on the head in the article though ... they "breed for demand".

Sadly the demand is there and will probably not go away now.

Not unlike plastic bags really :(

Souff

Sadly the demand is there and will probably not go away now.

Wheels are turning. Things are slow to change in Tasmania but with more education for consumers, people will become less accepting of these farms and less willing to get suckered in by them.