Water Training On Lake Hume With Newfoundland Katy

newfsie

As you may have gathered, I want Katy to do Water Rescue...She loves it. I am training her to be sent out to or called from the canoe and bring it in. Also to go and get someone who has a buoy and to take a floating device to someone. The distance work has been quite an effort/difficult

Here are two slide shows of Katy at work.........I brought my camera, but it is difficult to give instructions and hold a very expensive camera :)

She had her life vest on, because she had already been for a few swims......I do not want her to get tired.

Slideshow of pictures, photos, and videos, from webshots Buoy lif ring work

Slideshow of pictures, photos, and videos, from webshots Coleecting and Pulling in the canoe

Edited by newfsie

That's really interesting, and the photos are great - thanks for putting them up :)

Forgive my ignorance (I guess I could look it up) but is that what they were bred to do? I just love to see dogs doing those things.....

That's really interesting, and the photos are great - thanks for putting them up :)

Forgive my ignorance (I guess I could look it up) but is that what they were bred to do? I just love to see dogs doing those things.....

Yes that is partly what they were bred for...it branched from being used to tow in nets for fishing and their affinity to people naturally made them rescue people. There are many storied of big black dogs on ships and saving people. There was even one on the Titanic :)

:thumbsup: What a beautiful dog. I have never seen a dog trained to do such a rescue. Fantastic and the pics really tell the story. I would like your Big Black Dog on the shore if I ever went swimming there.

I will follow your training with great interest. :)

Loved the photos of Katy, do you mind telling me how you started teaching her to do that?

I picked katy out of her litter at four weeks with the Volhard system and seeing her retrieving skills at that age, she retrieved a soft little ball at that age...i went back every week and it was still her, until week eight

She started water retrieving at 16 weeks and we have just never stopped. We had to wait until 2 years old, before we put weight into the retrieve. She is a real natural and we also worked hard at her loving all people she meets :)

Loved the photos of Katy, do you mind telling me how you started teaching her to do that?

I picked katy out of her litter at four weeks with the Volhard system and seeing her retrieving skills at that age, she retrieved a soft little ball at that age...i went back every week and it was still her, until week eight

She started water retrieving at 16 weeks and we have just never stopped. We had to wait until 2 years old, before we put weight into the retrieve. She is a real natural and we also worked hard at her loving all people she meets :)

Boy I wished I lived closer to you, you have so many training skills that hopefully would rub off if I stood near you :rofl: I had never even heard of the Volhard system. I will google it now and have a read