Cause She's A Nice Dog

DAVERI

In most instance a unregistered breeder wont do any kind of health testing, unless you think a 6 week vet check, worming and vaccination is a health test (don't laught,some do).

Most health testing required the registration details and microchip numbers of both the sire and the dam.

And no, the pet shop dogs will not be papered as Pet Shops are not permitted to sell Papered dogs. $1200 for Cavaliers, that's more than most registered breeders will charge.

Not papered no, but purebred. Most people don't differentiate between purebred and pedigreed.

True. As far a the Pet shop is concerned if it looks purebred good enough for them to call it such.

I wonder if the new microchipping laws will include those selling to petshops or if it will be up to the petshops to microchip the dogs now?? Technically, the original seller, the breeder, should be the one microchipping in the true definition of the new laws.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'm bored with righteous indignation about BYB practices. This sort of thing has been going on since the concepts of 'purebred' and 'pedigree' took root. Fat chance of getting rid of it. And given the many abuses in show breeding, I think it may be good that a few people, at least, are breeding their 'nice' dogs. If there aren't a few people breeding non show conforming dogs, there's going to be nothing left to recover traits that may be lost through show breeders overemphasising a few phrases that happen to be in a breed standard that was written before much was understood about genetics.

I never expected to see such a controversial statement on this board. However, you express my views perfectly.

Yes +1!

You have my breed down pat as far as i am concerned :laugh: Apart from a few select breeders who dare to stay true to the standard the only place you find a decent dog these days is "byb".

Its funny the range of practices here that are considered byb. So you can health test, be registered with ANKC but if the litter aint reg you are still a byb? :laugh: I would take that any day over all these puppy farms that are being discovered :cry:

First "byb good for nothing mongrel" shepherd died of old age at 15. Damn her non registered breeders for selling us a healthy and long lived family member :rolleyes:

:confused: I really don't understand this point of view. The problem is that there are not just "a few" people doing this. It is rife.

The fact is BYB will never stop. I don't think anyone disputes that but make it more socially unacceptable and minimise it as much as possible.

I only have mutts, probably always will but I sure as hell would not be lining the pockets of a BYB or puppy farm for them and I certainly don't think anyone should be worried about a shortage of BYB mutts anytime soon.

I agree, there are alot of byb, i only know a handful of doggy friends who have actually bought from registered breeders. The rest have been purchased from the pound or unregisetered, hence byb dogs. I guess for me personally, it is more the fact that i have had bad experiences with club with my breed and don't agree with what most reg breeders in my breed are doing. hence i find a breeder who still does health tests ect but does not show hence they are unregisted. This is how i find a dog that i believe is true to my breed.

You see the thing is, i think public perception must change for byb to be seen by many as socially unacceptable. The attitude of most ppl i know is that pedigree dogs are overpriced and when you only want the dog as a family pet and not showing/breeding then the papers are not worth much to these ppl. I think it is also still a common point of view(dispite the good efforts of breeders) that the more pedigreed a dog is the more health problems they may have. So when they can pay in some cases $1000 dollars less they will, as many simply cannot afford 1500+ for the breed they want. I am not saying this is personally what i think, it is the thinking tho of my little group at our daily hangout :laugh:

Just curious, if you have mutts where did they come from? The pound? Where did they come from before that? Most reg breeders will not breed mutts.

Edit: To say, very sorry, thought you were replying to me. So sorry if you were not as you got my opinion instead :laugh:

I agree to this.. I had a friend posting on facebook about looking for breeders of particular breeds.. she then said later on in comments oh I cant afford $1500+ theres a "breeder" at ----- who sells them for $550.. Breeder my ass, I linked her to here explaining the difference between her "breeder" and a real breeder, she found one she likes but I have a feeling she will go back to the cheap one simply because its cheap...

Lets face it there really is NO money in breeding dogs at all and yet breeders seem to charge a phenominmal amount for a dog.. mostly to me it comes across as making a profit but correct me if Im wrong.. but what are we looking at cost wise if your bitch has a healthy pregnancy - food, worming, vaccine, microchip if you add that all up and divde by the number of pups surely even if you say added $100 each for your time if doesnt work out at $1200 a pup .. Just my thoughts but as I said correct me if Im wrong, I havent bred a litter before and Im only new to the show world so Im learning alot as I go

Im all for purebreds and showline and everything.. Im looking into finally getting my own show puppy but I would say thats the thing that bogs me down the most is the cost of the dog.. You get what you pay for and thats fine... but the average family mum,dad and a few kids I dont think can understand why they pay that money when as pointed out they can go to a petshop or local newspaper or whatever and pay next to nix for a pup of quiet possibly the same kinda quality as a pedigreed purebred... I dunno just my thoughts here..

A stud fee of $1000+ (this is not even taking into account possible travel costs etc or even more costs if it is a litter from from frozen semen- then you have the cost of surgical insemiation, the cost of storage of the semen, AQIS costs if you imported from another country etc)

Doing health testing of your bitch to ensure she is of the correct health to be bred from (varies, but for my breed it averages of $350 a dog, I am sure this is cheap in comparison to other breeds)

The cost of campaigning a dog, is lets face it huge. If you want a dog thats of show quality, and from a good pedigree, the time and cost that it takes to get that title is not cheap. I know for me last year, I travelled interstate twice for specialities, let alone many all breeds shows that were 4+ hours drive etc. My mentor spent approx $10,000 in travel last year going to shows here in Australia and OS to campaign dogs and view potential stud dogs OS.

Microchip, vaccination, worming etc yes you could average at $100 per pup I guess. Then you have the cost of registering the litter, and if you are feeding a litter decent food its not super cheap.

You cant bank on having a really healthy pregnancy, healthy whelp and healthy puppies. You cant bank that you will have a large sized litter than will help to absorb some of these costs. For breeders who have a litter of say only 3, they keep one, with just the few things I have put above you havent broken even if the cost of the pup is $1200, you are well in the red. Let alone if you need a c-section, the bitch gets sick, a pup gets sick etc. While a breeder might have a decent sized litter this time where you think 'oh thats a good earner' the next time you might get two pups and need a c-section and end up in debt.

I or my OH also take minimum two weeks off work, which is another added cost (loss of regular wages). I could go on.

A mix pup from a petshop or the paper, is not in the same league as a well-bred pedigree pup. They may make a good addition to the family sure but there is no way you can be sure of the health of the parents, the type of dog your pup will grow into etc with a mix-breed from a petshop.

See I have never really thought about including campaign cost into it... The lowchen who we titled even if i had never considered breeding her I still would have titled her as its a big accomplishment to do so and my dogs are my thing to do instead of sport or music I chose dogs..

But thanks for your input and ideas I never considered alot of that so its always good to know.. Thankfully my partner is alot more experienced in this area lol that's his forte I just show and trial and train them

Personally, I'm bored with righteous indignation about BYB practices. This sort of thing has been going on since the concepts of 'purebred' and 'pedigree' took root. Fat chance of getting rid of it. And given the many abuses in show breeding, I think it may be good that a few people, at least, are breeding their 'nice' dogs. If there aren't a few people breeding non show conforming dogs, there's going to be nothing left to recover traits that may be lost through show breeders overemphasising a few phrases that happen to be in a breed standard that was written before much was understood about genetics.

I never expected to see such a controversial statement on this board. However, you express my views perfectly.

And mine. I think it's terrible that so many animals are put to sleep each year but the end justifies the means for me. Dogs will be in a very dire situation the day that we only have the registered breeders producing new dogs, in my mind that is not enough to sustain the species. Nobody here can deny that a lot of breeds are in trouble.

You've obviously never worked in a pound/shelter. The end certainly DOES NOT justify the means. Whether registered breeders can sustain a species means nil to the poor dogs that are killed every day.

Well we will have to agree to disagree. Like I said, I would love to save every animal and gosh if I could count how many times I've been stung by rescuing bees and wasps from pools sigh... But not at the expense of dogs, they are too important and too vital to humans. If every dog aside from those from registered breeders was desexed tomorrow, it would instantly create a situation that in my opinion, would spell the end of domestic dogs improving and perhaps their very survival - not to mention, I fundamentally disagree with the direction a lot of breeds are heading in.

See I have never really thought about including campaign cost into it... The lowchen who we titled even if i had never considered breeding her I still would have titled her as its a big accomplishment to do so and my dogs are my thing to do instead of sport or music I chose dogs..

But thanks for your input and ideas I never considered alot of that so its always good to know.. Thankfully my partner is alot more experienced in this area lol that's his forte I just show and trial and train them

Absoultely, its a hobby/sport that costs money, just like any other hobby does. And we all do it for the love of it, not to recoup costs by breeding our show animals. Some of the animals we show may never be breed from. :) But my point is- if you want a dog from decent show quality blood lines, it takes money to get those dogs to that point, and a breeder has every right to charge a price for their dogs thats relative to the amount of time and effort and money that goes into caring and raising and campaigning their breeding stock.

In most instance a unregistered breeder wont do any kind of health testing, unless you think a 6 week vet check, worming and vaccination is a health test (don't laught,some do).

Most health testing required the registration details and microchip numbers of both the sire and the dam.

And no, the pet shop dogs will not be papered as Pet Shops are not permitted to sell Papered dogs. $1200 for Cavaliers, that's more than most registered breeders will charge.

Yeah and you know they don't have to run health checks beyond that for wild canid breeding programs either. It's just there is a much greater chance of undesirable genes propping up when the animals are closely related, not to mention if they are not being bred to increase their health/well-being/ability to perform normal canine functions (but rather for looks and supposed adherence to standards that as Sandgrubber rightly stated, were written long before we knew anything about genetics). You can pay much more than $1200 for a cavalier and still end up with a sick dog - plenty of people do.

There are lots of advantages to purebreds because you do have a much better idea of what you are getting. But when you start inbreeding and breeding for extreme traits and consequently negate the benefits of evolution and sexual reproduction - these are terrible things in nature that most species actively avoid (including our own), you need to fall back on science and spend mega bucks on testing just to try and combat some of the potential consequences.

And mine. I think it's terrible that so many animals are put to sleep each year but the end justifies the means for me. Dogs will be in a very dire situation the day that we only have the registered breeders producing new dogs, in my mind that is not enough to sustain the species. Nobody here can deny that a lot of breeds are in trouble.

Wow. Just wow. :(

Your right petshops can't sell with papers and NO the puppy breeder selling the pups to the shop do not have to have them micro chipped because the new laws state pups need to be micro chipped from 8 weeks and most pet stores require the pups to be in store by 6 weeks. I seen so called purebred bull terriers in a petshop about 3 years ago. we asked how much there were (no because i wanted one but just to see what they were charging) the all white male was $1200 and the white female with the black eye patch was $2000. :eek: I almost fell over! I could have got 2 of my girl with papers for what they were asking. the lady added if i was interested not to leave it long cause they had only had them a few days and already sold 3. personally I believe if pet stores have to sell puppies and kittens they should have to give a min 24-48hr cooling of period. Where the buyer is sent home with the info and told to think about it. Impulse buying is the worst form of shopping.

My attitude to byb is mixed. I see no problem with farmers who have a few good working dogs breeding a litter every 5-7 years to maintain their line of good working dogs. Usually they've got a network of other farmers who are about ready to start training up their next working dog anyway though so it's not done for profit.

See - I just don't think of this as BYB - to me BYB and Puppy Farm is the same thing but the scale is different - people breeding for the money and no other reason.

My attitude to byb is mixed. I see no problem with farmers who have a few good working dogs breeding a litter every 5-7 years to maintain their line of good working dogs. Usually they've got a network of other farmers who are about ready to start training up their next working dog anyway though so it's not done for profit.

See - I just don't think of this as BYB - to me BYB and Puppy Farm is the same thing but the scale is different - people breeding for the money and no other reason.

Agree with this.

You've obviously never worked in a pound/shelter. The end certainly DOES NOT justify the means. Whether registered breeders can sustain a species means nil to the poor dogs that are killed every day.

Well we will have to agree to disagree. Like I said, I would love to save every animal and gosh if I could count how many times I've been stung by rescuing bees and wasps from pools sigh... But not at the expense of dogs, they are too important and too vital to humans. If every dog aside from those from registered breeders was desexed tomorrow, it would instantly create a situation that in my opinion, would spell the end of domestic dogs improving and perhaps their very survival - not to mention, I fundamentally disagree with the direction a lot of breeds are heading in.

I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying and am not against cross breeds in general, but it breaks my heart to see a comment like you made, those dogs are just as beautiful, clever, loyal and loviong as your dog.

Only difference is no-one wants them, they get left at the pound by their owners, have to go through the stress of it all, and then after that, they end up in a bin. That to me, will never be acceptable, no matter what it means for dogs.

Edited by Aussie3

I don't know why some people seem to go to the extreem about mutts becoming extinct. :confused:

People are always going to BYB. It is not going to stop, but making it more socially unacceptable will mean less people doing it. I don't understand what is so doomsday about that.

Bad quoting memory here but the saying along the lines of us "being forever responsible for that which we have tamed" seems right to me and killing approx 250,000 unwanted pets per year does not seem like a moral or acceptable "means to an end" in my opinion.

plenty of purebreed dogs end up in pounds and shelters too, but something you hardly ever see is purebred pups like you do see the cross bred pups in shelters. We have laws that say how many cars you can sell or garage sales a person or household can have in a year. why not limint the number of litters? I heard the RSPCA was talking about bringing in a lic to be able to even advertise litters. Im not sure how that would work it could lower the number born but also increase the numbers dump.

Agree with this.

And I think this is where the division and problems arise. When people used to "home bred" a dog it was usually sold for a small token sum or even given away to friends and family. An affordable pet to those who could not afford the prestige of a Pedigree papered dog. But now retail has gone crazy with Pet Shop puppies costing so much more than they did say, 25 years ago. This has been the root cause of the division amongst the dog buying public. Some people believe if they are paying top dollar for something it's because it is something good, fashionable, trendy and sort after, therefore increasing in popularity and becoming even more of a moneyspinner and consequently competing for the same market that was the domain of the papered purebred dog. Therefore belittling the efforts, blood, sweat and tears of the purebred Registered dog breeder and this is what causes the division and angst IMO.

Yes +1!

You have my breed down pat as far as i am concerned :laugh: Apart from a few select breeders who dare to stay true to the standard the only place you find a decent dog these days is "byb".

Its funny the range of practices here that are considered byb. So you can health test, be registered with ANKC but if the litter aint reg you are still a byb? :laugh: I would take that any day over all these puppy farms that are being discovered :cry:

First "byb good for nothing mongrel" shepherd died of old age at 15. Damn her non registered breeders for selling us a healthy and long lived family member :rolleyes:

:confused: I really don't understand this point of view. The problem is that there are not just "a few" people doing this. It is rife.

The fact is BYB will never stop. I don't think anyone disputes that but make it more socially unacceptable and minimise it as much as possible.

I only have mutts, probably always will but I sure as hell would not be lining the pockets of a BYB or puppy farm for them and I certainly don't think anyone should be worried about a shortage of BYB mutts anytime soon.

I agree, there are alot of byb, i only know a handful of doggy friends who have actually bought from registered breeders. The rest have been purchased from the pound or unregisetered, hence byb dogs. I guess for me personally, it is more the fact that i have had bad experiences with club with my breed and don't agree with what most reg breeders in my breed are doing. hence i find a breeder who still does health tests ect but does not show hence they are unregisted. This is how i find a dog that i believe is true to my breed.

You see the thing is, i think public perception must change for byb to be seen by many as socially unacceptable. The attitude of most ppl i know is that pedigree dogs are overpriced and when you only want the dog as a family pet and not showing/breeding then the papers are not worth much to these ppl. I think it is also still a common point of view(dispite the good efforts of breeders) that the more pedigreed a dog is the more health problems they may have. So when they can pay in some cases $1000 dollars less they will, as many simply cannot afford 1500+ for the breed they want. I am not saying this is personally what i think, it is the thinking tho of my little group at our daily hangout :laugh:

Just curious, if you have mutts where did they come from? The pound? Where did they come from before that? Most reg breeders will not breed mutts.

Edit: To say, very sorry, thought you were replying to me. So sorry if you were not as you got my opinion instead :laugh:

I agree to this.. I had a friend posting on facebook about looking for breeders of particular breeds.. she then said later on in comments oh I cant afford $1500+ theres a "breeder" at ----- who sells them for $550.. Breeder my ass, I linked her to here explaining the difference between her "breeder" and a real breeder, she found one she likes but I have a feeling she will go back to the cheap one simply because its cheap...

Lets face it there really is NO money in breeding dogs at all and yet breeders seem to charge a phenominmal amount for a dog.. mostly to me it comes across as making a profit but correct me if Im wrong.. but what are we looking at cost wise if your bitch has a healthy pregnancy - food, worming, vaccine, microchip if you add that all up and divde by the number of pups surely even if you say added $100 each for your time if doesnt work out at $1200 a pup .. Just my thoughts but as I said correct me if Im wrong, I havent bred a litter before and Im only new to the show world so Im learning alot as I go

Im all for purebreds and showline and everything.. Im looking into finally getting my own show puppy but I would say thats the thing that bogs me down the most is the cost of the dog.. You get what you pay for and thats fine... but the average family mum,dad and a few kids I dont think can understand why they pay that money when as pointed out they can go to a petshop or local newspaper or whatever and pay next to nix for a pup of quiet possibly the same kinda quality as a pedigreed purebred... I dunno just my thoughts here..

My last litter would have seen almost 10k to finally get an answer on why the males in the litter got sick- ended up with blood going to the states!! People didn't even want to pay $800 for them. I started with 8 and ended up with 5 so each pup would have cost 2k to produce. Even if I try to even out over a few litters I won't be up any money on breeding for a long long time......

It only takes one disaster to remove any 'profit' if your breeding for the right reasons....

Most of the pups in papers sell for $400 unvaccinated, unmicrochipped, unwormed. So people get their cheap pup and spend $200 on their first visit, another $150 at their next. So $750 spent on the cheap pup anyway..

Mine would have been sold fully microchipped, wormed, AND fully vaccinated and I provided food for two weeks etc......

plenty of purebreed dogs end up in pounds and shelters too, but something you hardly ever see is purebred pups like you do see the cross bred pups in shelters. We have laws that say how many cars you can sell or garage sales a person or household can have in a year. why not limint the number of litters? I heard the RSPCA was talking about bringing in a lic to be able to even advertise litters. Im not sure how that would work it could lower the number born but also increase the numbers dump.

There is a law that came in on January 1st. that states that anyone owning more than 3 entire breeding dogs or cats must become a registered business and have an ABN number regardless of how many litters they do or don't breed and regardless of whether there is a profit made or not.

Those not required to conform to this are those affiliated with certain groups such as if you are a member of several organisations listed such as DogsVic, Cat Protection Sociey etc.

Yeah and you know they don't have to run health checks beyond that for wild canid breeding programs either. It's just there is a much greater chance of undesirable genes propping up when the animals are closely related, not to mention if they are not being bred to increase their health/well-being/ability to perform normal canine functions (but rather for looks and supposed adherence to standards that as Sandgrubber rightly stated, were written long before we knew anything about genetics). You can pay much more than $1200 for a cavalier and still end up with a sick dog - plenty of people do.

There are lots of advantages to purebreds because you do have a much better idea of what you are getting. But when you start inbreeding and breeding for extreme traits and consequently negate the benefits of evolution and sexual reproduction - these are terrible things in nature that most species actively avoid (including our own), you need to fall back on science and spend mega bucks on testing just to try and combat some of the potential consequences.

My problem was caused by a RANDOM GENETIC MUTATION not inbreeding or breeding for extremes. It could happen even in wild canid populations or to a BYB. The difference between BYB is I got all the pups diagnosed and tested and will be ensuring it goes no further in my lines. But I guess putting down pups, or sending pups to homes without answers is ok in mutts because they dong get sick....

Edited by Jumabaar

Just another reason why mandatory desexing for ALL pets would make this a better world...

I don't know how you would police it or make it happen but wouldn't it be great if we could...

I agree with this! if its not a registered breeding or show animal, it should be desexed! easy, no excuses! but your right i don't know about the enforcement side of it.

There is a law that came in on January 1st. that states that anyone owning more than 3 entire breeding dogs or cats must become a registered business and have an ABN number regardless of how many litters they do or don't breed and regardless of whether there is a profit made or not.

Those not required to conform to this are those affiliated with certain groups such as if you are a member of several organisations listed such as DogsVic, Cat Protection Sociey etc.

thats interesting! is that just in VIC or Australia wide? haven't heard it here in QLD

thats interesting! is that just in VIC or Australia wide? haven't heard it here in QLD

I can only confirm Victoria.