Cause She's A Nice Dog

DAVERI

plenty of purebreed dogs end up in pounds and shelters too, but something you hardly ever see is purebred pups like you do see the cross bred pups in shelters. We have laws that say how many cars you can sell or garage sales a person or household can have in a year. why not limint the number of litters? I heard the RSPCA was talking about bringing in a lic to be able to even advertise litters. Im not sure how that would work it could lower the number born but also increase the numbers dump.

There is a law that came in on January 1st. that states that anyone owning more than 3 entire breeding dogs or cats must become a registered business and have an ABN number regardless of how many litters they do or don't breed and regardless of whether there is a profit made or not.

Those not required to conform to this are those affiliated with certain groups such as if you are a member of several organisations listed such as DogsVic, Cat Protection Sociey etc.

thats interesting! is that just in VIC or Australia wide? haven't heard it here in QLD

A similar law is being looked at, at the moment for Queensland.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plenty of purebreed dogs end up in pounds and shelters too, but something you hardly ever see is purebred pups like you do see the cross bred pups in shelters. We have laws that say how many cars you can sell or garage sales a person or household can have in a year. why not limint the number of litters? I heard the RSPCA was talking about bringing in a lic to be able to even advertise litters. Im not sure how that would work it could lower the number born but also increase the numbers dump.

There is a law that came in on January 1st. that states that anyone owning more than 3 entire breeding dogs or cats must become a registered business and have an ABN number regardless of how many litters they do or don't breed and regardless of whether there is a profit made or not.

Those not required to conform to this are those affiliated with certain groups such as if you are a member of several organisations listed such as DogsVic, Cat Protection Sociey etc.

thats interesting! is that just in VIC or Australia wide? haven't heard it here in QLD

A similar law is being looked at, at the moment for Queensland.

There is this on the Gold Coast

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_standard2.aspx?pid=9027

Which I think is going statewide..

http://www.news.com.au/national/new-laws-target-queensland-puppy-farms/story-e6frfkwr-1226250158953

Sorry for the double post.

DAVERI I can send you a link to a great thread on another forum where a member purposely mated their dog to produce a litter. She has gone through almost every forseeable issue. The dog went into whelp and only got a few puppies out before she couldn't get anymore, had to have a C-Section (expensive much!, the first pups had to be hand fed while mum was at the vet, then she went home, 2 of the pups died by being squashed by Mum accidentally, things seemed to be going well when Mum stopped feeding/producing milk and had to be taken BACK to the vet, turned out she had an infection...more antibiotics. 9/10 pups had to be hand fed every 2 hours. Mum dog got better but is sick again (Pups are 3 weeks old) and is needing to have a hysterectomy now (another very expensive surgery) and is still not feeding pups. To top it all off, 3 of the pups got sick and needed to be taken to the vet.

Before hysterectomy (another $1200) and sick pups there vet costs were already over $6000 and that doesn't include costs for feeding the pups or vaccinations to be done prior to sending to new homes etc. She won't be doing it again.

The pups have now almost cost her $1000 each, a price she will not get for wolfhound x who knows what mutts.

Sorry for the double post.

DAVERI I can send you a link to a great thread on another forum where a member purposely mated their dog to produce a litter. She has gone through almost every forseeable issue. The dog went into whelp and only got a few puppies out before she couldn't get anymore, had to have a C-Section (expensive much!, the first pups had to be hand fed while mum was at the vet, then she went home, 2 of the pups died by being squashed by Mum accidentally, things seemed to be going well when Mum stopped feeding/producing milk and had to be taken BACK to the vet, turned out she had an infection...more antibiotics. 9/10 pups had to be hand fed every 2 hours. Mum dog got better but is sick again (Pups are 3 weeks old) and is needing to have a hysterectomy now (another very expensive surgery) and is still not feeding pups. To top it all off, 3 of the pups got sick and needed to be taken to the vet.

Before hysterectomy (another $1200) and sick pups there vet costs were already over $6000 and that doesn't include costs for feeding the pups or vaccinations to be done prior to sending to new homes etc. She won't be doing it again.

The pups have now almost cost her $1000 each, a price she will not get for wolfhound x who knows what mutts.

I was going to mention the same thread K&P, it really is a must read for anyone contemplating breeding a litter from their pet. I do really feel for her though, she has had so much bad luck & she obviously loves her bitch & is trying to do all the right things by her ( Alot of BYB's would have given up & PTS the bitch & the puppies by now, rather than spend that sort of money )

She has definately learnt her lesson the hard way, & will not be breeding again any time soon.

She has also allowed the mods on the forum to pin her thread to warn others thinking of getting a litter from their pet of what can go wrong.

she'll be in for a rude shock if problems arise. I wonder if the bitch has anywhere to whelp, has she been wormed, so many questions and I suspect the answers to all of them are No. :mad

Not to mention vaccination. If she can't afford to get her bitch desexed how is she going to afford vaccination for a litter? Isn't it illegal to sell pups without their first vaccination?

they can go to a petshop or local newspaper or whatever and pay next to nix for a pup of quiet possibly the same kinda quality as a pedigreed purebred... I dunno just my thoughts here..

:eek: You been to any petshops lately or looked at the ads in newspapers?????Theres crossbreed pups in petshops selling for more than purebreeds over $1000 for a lot of them

Most pet shop puppies I have seen are around $700 - some of the "less appealing"mixes are around $400. I think it is also worth mentioning that a large number of pups for sale in pet shops are actually purebred.

I have seen one purebred puppy in a petshop in about 3 years.

Lots of purebred maltipoos,schnoodles, moodles, and cavachons ;)

I live near Mittagong in the Southern Highlands...there is a pet shop on the main road in the middle of town, and they are constantly advertising purebred puppies amongst all the oodles....most recently seen - Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Labradors, Maremmas, Toy Poodles, Jack Russells and Siberian Huskies :eek:

I live near Mittagong in the Southern Highlands...there is a pet shop on the main road in the middle of town, and they are constantly advertising purebred puppies amongst all the oodles....most recently seen - Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Labradors, Maremmas, Toy Poodles, Jack Russells and Siberian Huskies :eek:

Maremmas??! :banghead:

Maremmas??! :banghead:

I've seen it here in the Yarra Valley too, and GSD's pups and Rotties! :eek: Always worries me when I see large breeds in Pet Shops. They grow quickly and aren't easy to "move". :(

A local pet shop had a sign outside for Great Dane pups - price reduced. Some one I know went in (I'm not allowed into pet shops that sell animals :D ) looking for bird stuff and they had two cages of pups - Great Dane pups for $595 and "Staffy" pups for $695. To her the pups appeared to be from the same litter, they were the same size, shape and appearance. The GD pups were fawn, the "Staffy" pups were brindle.

yes please if you want to PM the link that be great.

I honestly hope nothing goes wrong cause she's already said she's hasn't even go the money to by a cheap thermometer. so i can't see her taking her to the for a c-secton. :mad

UPDATE- still no pups.

I agree with this! if its not a registered breeding or show animal, it should be desexed! easy, no excuses! but your right i don't know about the enforcement side of it.

So . . . you say . . . a farm family with some good herding dogs (say, a lot of kelpie blood but purity questionable) should not be able to breed from their working stock?

I'm all for pedigree dogs. But I think there are all sorts of measures by which a dog or bitch might be found exceptional and worth breeding from. I don't think the KC's and show rings should have a monopoly on this. I don't like having a beauty show determine what constitutes a 'good dog'.

Some people, including many people with degrees in genetics, prefer cross breeds.

It's a moot point, though. The force (of public opinion) would not be with the KC's if they tried to push for desexing of all non-registered dogs.

I went over to another town the other week and in the Pet Shop they had one lone male absolutely tiny JRT, he was as skinny as and his belly was so round. He was either sleeping off a full meal or sick with worms :eek: We called him and he lifted his head but just put his head down again. He was $500 with a guarantee of vet check, wormed and 6wk vacc. :confused: I think he was about 8wks.

I've seen sleepy puppies before and this one looked sick not tired....poor thing. The shop had only been open an hour, so they couldn't have had an influx of people to wear the puppy out. How sad :(

Lynn

Went into Animates (our large chain pet store) last year and a staff member was doing the hard sell on a suburban family with two young children, puppy in question was a 15 week old Huntaway x Border Collie sigh...

I agree with this! if its not a registered breeding or show animal, it should be desexed! easy, no excuses! but your right i don't know about the enforcement side of it.

So . . . you say . . . a farm family with some good herding dogs (say, a lot of kelpie blood but purity questionable) should not be able to breed from their working stock?

I'm all for pedigree dogs. But I think there are all sorts of measures by which a dog or bitch might be found exceptional and worth breeding from. I don't think the KC's and show rings should have a monopoly on this. I don't like having a beauty show determine what constitutes a 'good dog'.

Some people, including many people with degrees in genetics, prefer cross breeds.

It's a moot point, though. The force (of public opinion) would not be with the KC's if they tried to push for desexing of all non-registered dogs.

A dogs working ability should be as much as measure of it's worth as a show title (and IMO it is sometimes much, much more important depending on what the dog is being bred for - no point having a pretty farm dog that can't work). However health is just as important, as is the knowledge and understanding of what you are producing and why. The vast majority of BYBs have no idea of what they are putting together and no purpose beyond producing 'nice' pups for their friends or making a few $$. Sorry, that is not a good enough reason. No one is going to be recovering anything from these dogs, they have little to offer.

Farm bred dogs and unregistered working dogs are a different matter altogether. Including those of questionable purity smile.gif.

Personally, I'm bored with righteous indignation about BYB practices. This sort of thing has been going on since the concepts of 'purebred' and 'pedigree' took root. Fat chance of getting rid of it. And given the many abuses in show breeding, I think it may be good that a few people, at least, are breeding their 'nice' dogs. If there aren't a few people breeding non show conforming dogs, there's going to be nothing left to recover traits that may be lost through show breeders overemphasising a few phrases that happen to be in a breed standard that was written before much was understood about genetics.

I never expected to see such a controversial statement on this board. However, you express my views perfectly.

yep i agree with you 2

NEWS

the dog has had 7 very large fat pups between 3:30am and 7:30am, but she's still bleeding heavy and panting heavy too its now almost 1pm. one pup is very lifeless so someone told her to pick it up and swing it up and down. she said it want breathing when it was born but after doing "the flick" she said it was lifeless but breathing. she has no idea if she passed a sack for each pup. and the bitch's tummy is still quiet hard and lumpy she said. mum is feeding pups on the fold out mattrass out of the sofa lounge where she gave birth.

NEWS

the dog has had 7 very large fat pups between 3:30am and 7:30am, but she's still bleeding heavy and panting heavy too its now almost 1pm. one pup is very lifeless so someone told her to pick it up and swing it up and down. she said it want breathing when it was born but after doing "the flick" she said it was lifeless but breathing. she has no idea if she passed a sack for each pup. and the bitch's tummy is still quiet hard and lumpy she said. mum is feeding pups on the fold out mattrass out of the sofa lounge where she gave birth.

Sounds like she still has more to go. For a large litter 12 hours or more can be normal but she shouldn't go more that 2 hours between puppies. A gap of more than 2 hours indicates a vet check is needed.

There shouldn't be any heavy bleeding with a whelping. There is a little blood stained discharge and the greeny black from the afterbirths bit no blood. If she is bleeding she needs to see a vet. The only one of mine that bled had to have Vit K injections to stop the bleeding.