Cause She's A Nice Dog

DAVERI

just thought id give everyone an update. the pups have all found homes bar 2. and the mother has been put up for sale. she is to hard to keep in the yard. keeps jumping the fence (waste high)and upsetting the lady next door and running off after the postman. counicl have talked about taking her too. she wants $100 and if she's not gone (in about 2 weeks) she will be taking her to the pound. she will not take her to the AWL or RSPCA and she will not advertise her on any other site. not sure for her reasons behind the lack of homing but i guess the owner is lazy and would rather send her to the pound to be PTS than pay to have her go to a place where she's have a better chance of a new life. not a great outcome for this little girl sadly. one can only hope the pups get a better home.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'm bored with righteous indignation about BYB practices. This sort of thing has been going on since the concepts of 'purebred' and 'pedigree' took root. Fat chance of getting rid of it. And given the many abuses in show breeding, I think it may be good that a few people, at least, are breeding their 'nice' dogs. If there aren't a few people breeding non show conforming dogs, there's going to be nothing left to recover traits that may be lost through show breeders overemphasising a few phrases that happen to be in a breed standard that was written before much was understood about genetics.

I'm sick of hearing it too.

People who have no effing idea what they are doing, won't give an animal any sort of veterinary treatment and expect to make money from the process. It's heartbreaking.

Precisely WTF that has to do with your endless banging on about what you see as wrong with the breeding of purebred dogs beats the shite out of me. Frankly I'm bored with your righteous indignation and you putting the put the boot in to anyone who appears to have different breeding goals to you. How you would seek to excuse the kind of "breeding practices" (and I use the term loosely) employed here when this person wasn't breeding purebred dogs AT ALL beats me.

Seriously, build a bridge. It's like listening to a broken record.

Edited by Telida Whippets

I went over to another town the other week and in the Pet Shop they had one lone male absolutely tiny JRT, he was as skinny as and his belly was so round. He was either sleeping off a full meal or sick with worms :eek: We called him and he lifted his head but just put his head down again. He was $500 with a guarantee of vet check, wormed and 6wk vacc. :confused: I think he was about 8wks.

I've seen sleepy puppies before and this one looked sick not tired....poor thing. The shop had only been open an hour, so they couldn't have had an influx of people to wear the puppy out. How sad :(

Lynn

I walked past a Pets Purgatory one time and there were people surrounding the glass cages. I said loudly to my friend, 'My god, look at those puppies bellies. They've got to full of worms!'

Personally, I'm bored with righteous indignation about BYB practices. This sort of thing has been going on since the concepts of 'purebred' and 'pedigree' took root. Fat chance of getting rid of it. And given the many abuses in show breeding, I think it may be good that a few people, at least, are breeding their 'nice' dogs. If there aren't a few people breeding non show conforming dogs, there's going to be nothing left to recover traits that may be lost through show breeders overemphasising a few phrases that happen to be in a breed standard that was written before much was understood about genetics.

NEWS

the dog has had 7 very large fat pups between 3:30am and 7:30am, but she's still bleeding heavy and panting heavy too its now almost 1pm. one pup is very lifeless so someone told her to pick it up and swing it up and down. she said it want breathing when it was born but after doing "the flick" she said it was lifeless but breathing. she has no idea if she passed a sack for each pup. and the bitch's tummy is still quiet hard and lumpy she said. mum is feeding pups on the fold out mattrass out of the sofa lounge where she gave birth.

This.

just thought id give everyone an update. the pups have all found homes bar 2. and the mother has been put up for sale. she is to hard to keep in the yard. keeps jumping the fence (waste high)and upsetting the lady next door and running off after the postman. counicl have talked about taking her too. she wants $100 and if she's not gone (in about 2 weeks) she will be taking her to the pound. she will not take her to the AWL or RSPCA and she will not advertise her on any other site. not sure for her reasons behind the lack of homing but i guess the owner is lazy and would rather send her to the pound to be PTS than pay to have her go to a place where she's have a better chance of a new life. not a great outcome for this little girl sadly. one can only hope the pups get a better home.

AND THIS!

I never expected to see such a controversial statement on this board. However, you express my views perfectly.

OMG IT HAS BEEN SAID!!!!!!

thankyou for putting my thoughts into words that i failed to find for so long!!

Personally, I'm bored with righteous indignation about BYB practices.

:thumbsup:

Where's the like button.

Really Tralee, even with the sad outcome of this BYB experiment where the bitch is now no longer wanted and two pups are yet to find homes? :(

Some backyarders breed 'purebreds' though.

I thought this forum was more for promoting ethical and responsible breeding of purebreds? (Although not all registered breeders would be considered ethical or responsible!).

and everyone has a backyard....well unless living in a high rise?

be it a square metre or square miles.

NEWS

the dog has had 7 very large fat pups between 3:30am and 7:30am, but she's still bleeding heavy and panting heavy too its now almost 1pm. one pup is very lifeless so someone told her to pick it up and swing it up and down. she said it want breathing when it was born but after doing "the flick" she said it was lifeless but breathing. she has no idea if she passed a sack for each pup. and the bitch's tummy is still quiet hard and lumpy she said. mum is feeding pups on the fold out mattrass out of the sofa lounge where she gave birth.

This.

AND THIS!

that is so so sad

come to think of it.

sad as this case is.

how is bringing a 500 dollar payment or all the other stuff being done to 'eliminate' puppy farmers going to impact in any way whatsoever in this case or any like it?

ZILCH I suspect.

Err thanks but just went through that thread and can't find any reference to someone breeding their dog in the way portrayed in this thread - what am I missing? Or did you think I menat the thread about the $500 fee? the OP of this thread was talking about someone breeding their bitch - it's THAT thread I'm after pls....

Edited by Fit for a King

Some backyarders breed 'purebreds' though.

I thought this forum was more for promoting ethical and responsible breeding of purebreds? (Although not all registered breeders would be considered ethical or responsible!).

and everyone has a backyard....well unless living in a high rise?

be it a square metre or square miles.

Yes, it shouldn't be called "Backyard Breeding". More like "Random, whim breeding without forethought or planning". :banghead:

It really isn't about whether the dogs are purebred or not either. It's about what YOU as the person bringing these dogs into the world are prepared to do for the health and safety of said dogs.

Getting rid of a bitch becuase you can't be bothered providing a secure yard for her and whom you breed "Because she's a nice dog" doesn't cut it I'm afraid. :mad

Err thanks but just went through that thread and can't find any reference to someone breeding their dog in the way portrayed in this thread - what am I missing? Or did you think I menat the thread about the $500 fee? the OP of this thread was talking about someone breeding their bitch - it's THAT thread I'm after pls....

forget where i spotted it, but its being asked for a petition to be signed for Animal Welfare to lobby for the dogs nsw or is it the government?

to impose a yearly fee of $500 to be paid before any breeder of a pedigree dog can register a litter for that year. already on top of membership, prefix, microchipping, genetic testing where applicable and registration fees, be it for Limit or Main register pups.

beats the hell out of me how that is going to stop instances like has happend on this thread

and frankly i suspect the majority of pet shop puppies are bred this way.

once they do succeed in eliminating the pedigree dogs and their breeders theres going to be a very real oops moment when the numbers still simply keep rolling in

for any who doubt that day could ever come, on another thread is that 2,000 members did not renew this year leaving australia with something like 4,500 registered breeders for this entire continent?

now folks...just how many breeders does that give us per million ?

and thats spread over how many totaly different and in danger of extinction breeds now?

as was said in the thread wherever it is. "all over red rover" once the gene pool is too small to survive

Edited by asal

Just another reason why mandatory desexing for ALL pets would make this a better world...

I don't know how you would police it or make it happen but wouldn't it be great if we could...

Agree...

your quote at the bottom is i notice "A Dog Is For Life!!!"

do you realise if every dog is desexed you will only have one for its lifetime?

the rate breeders are being tarred and feathered if they breed and sell any with all the hate being thrown out there all the controls to get rid of one but in the process applies to all.

you better get used to the idea of a stuffed toy being the only available option in just this lifetime maybe less.

the only ones available will be black market like the pitty's are already

ummm n come to think of it ive seen dozens of em.

i recently bought a kennel on ebay and when i went to pick it up, if their dog was a staffy as i was told im a chimpanzee.

why do i think that?

never saw a living staffy that could stand on his hind legs and lick my face?

n im not a midget, they did not say he was an amstaff, they said he was a staffordshire bull terrier. n no he did not come from a registered breeder, bought from a property out west.

anyway im wasting my time and yours.

i did hope 20 years ago ( :eek: oh my gosh, more like a little over 30 years ago now :confused: well its sure gained momentem now) the idiots who started the 'get rid of backyarders' would discover once the witchhunt began soon as the obvious witches (the ones they disliked the most) were disposed of they would discover just like the spanish inquisition that once the ranks began thinning the inquisitors would discover themselves being proclaimed and on the rack too.

just like the witch hunters, the inquisitors eventually also discovered your guilty until torture and death proved innocence ... :rofl:

the bright sparks that started those hunts found many of themselves caught up in the killing fields.

not much has changed and as usual not much seems to have been learned how quickly history repeats itself.

differnt names same result.... elimination.

:thumbsup:

Edited by asal

Personally, I'm bored with righteous indignation about BYB practices. This sort of thing has been going on since the concepts of 'purebred' and 'pedigree' took root. Fat chance of getting rid of it. And given the many abuses in show breeding, I think it may be good that a few people, at least, are breeding their 'nice' dogs. If there aren't a few people breeding non show conforming dogs, then there's going to be nothing left to recover traits that may be lost through show breeders overemphasising a few phrases that happen to be in a breed standard that was written before much was understood about genetics.

You can't be serious....

Ive argued it before, so im not going to start again.

And there is no way a show breeding programme would ever include cross-breeds to re-introduce traits in to dogs lines. They would simply use another pure breed dog that has simliar traits to thier own breed to introduce it. So therefore, there is absolutely NO real reason to breed cross-breeds except for the market outlined in the OP.

And breed standards may of been initially written a long time ago, but they are reviewed, updated, and changed regularly. You would be suprised how much dog breeders actually know about genetics, especially in relation to those in thier own breed. And yes the minority are breeding for the wrong reasons, and for over-exaggeration. But there are far more out there who breed for the betterment of the breed. Im not sure how many breeds of dogs that are recognised by the ANKC, and KC etc there are, i think over 200 and people pull out 10 or 20 so breeds that have been bred with overexaggeration, and other issues and then tar EVERY pedigree dog with it.

There are lots of breeders out there that are breeding for structure, health, and the irradication of hereditary diseases within thier lines. They wish only the best for thier breed, thier name, and the health of thier dogs. This person that the OP has referred to, has no doubt, done NO health tests, no assessments on the sire and dam, has no plan with what she wishes to produce, and is looking for nothing more in her dog than it being 'nice'. Who knows what her definition of 'nice' is. I bet she has no education regarding breeding, does not know the mode of inheritance for ANY likely hereditary diseases, and as she has NO money to take her dog to the vet, I doubt she will fork out the money for dna tests. But then again she probably has no idea what she would be testing for anyway. She probably has seen PDE though, so that gives her the right to take on the complex task of dog breeding all on her own, as those pedigree people have just stuffed it up.