How Did You Choose Your Breed?

Jetshroom

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up with Dobermans and they have always been my heart breed. There is no other breed that can compare with a stunning looking Dobe .

This is exactly what I was going to write! My parents had dobes and nothing can compre to them (in my eyes). They are great looking, loyal, intelligent, low maintenance, great parents (to human babies that is) ect. I hope our kids grow up with the same experiences I had with them.

Why we chose a GSD - something different I suppose(maybe we're a little racist ad only like German dogs as we were also considering a Rotty :laugh: ), 90% of our dobes have /had health issues and watching them pass away so young (although not all their/breeds fault) really ripped my heart apart. I'm still struggling with loosing my heart dog late last year a week before his 4th bday.

So we decided on a shepherd because they have alot of the same quilities as the dobes (I'm not saying their healthier, just something different whilst I'm getting over the loss of my boy).

And we are so happy with the change, Lexi may be whiny and a fluff ball but we love her personality and temperament.

We chose working lines over show, probably cause we are a little crazy! And love a good challenge.

We hope to get another dobe in the future as honestly nothing can compare to them!

I have a list of requirements from here to China that I want in a breed :rofl: I haven't found one to fit them all yet so thats why I have 2 rescues at the moment.

But I'm so desperate to find that one breed that fits perfectly so I continue to look and be hopeful :D

I have a list of requirements from here to China that I want in a breed :rofl: I haven't found one to fit them all yet so thats why I have 2 rescues at the moment.

But I'm so desperate to find that one breed that fits perfectly so I continue to look and be hopeful :D

Sometimes it can be a matter of accepting the good with the bad. What are you prepared to compromise on and to 'live with' to get the good (the traits you find most important).

And sometimes it is a matter of....as the song goes........ 'what I did for love' :laugh:

When we were looking for a dog we made a list of traits we didn't want.

We didn't want dog that shed, drool and smell. After we figured that out, standard poodle was somehow obvious choice.

Bruno fits our family perfectly in every way, so much that we got another poodle, only mini this time.

Id wanted a pom since a kid but my parents never let me so as soon as I was in a place to get a dog it was the first and only breed I looked into.

:rofl:

This was pretty much it for me too. A friend had one when I was 5 and it was the most gorgeous little critter with lots of energy, personality and fluff :)

20 years later I was finally in a position to have a dog so here we are :)

they're the coolest little things too :thumbsup:

Same for me with my cavalier, after some research I got one.

I wanted a decent sized dog to come out with me when I went horseriding.....It came down to 3 breeds and the Ridgy won :D I didnt really know much about the breed at that stage, but when I met our breeder I just new it was right!

Kelpies have been in my life since I was very little, and I dont think we'll ever be without one of those either :D

Two very different breeds, but I can honestly say i love both breeds equally :)