"fear Of Deadly Rage Over Yapping...

SkySoaringMagpie

Are there any long term bark collar users out there? Or people for whom a bark collar has cured a barking problem?

We will use a collar (electronic or citronella) for a problem youngster who is just not getting the "quiet" message.

But only when we are there to observe the behaviour and to reinforce training.

We have had limited successes to the point where the dog would see me walking towards them with the collar and would have that look "Oh damn, the game is over!". I cannot honestly say that is a cure.

Negative experiences include one dog almost hanging itself on a gate; fortunately we were there in time.

Another dog wore out the sensor on a $200+ citronella collar. Container was full to the brim with the fluid, but the sensor had died. :mad

Dog was moved to a country location where she still happily lives 6 years later and where she is allowed to bark at birds and anything else that moves. :D

Moving the dog indoors when you are not at home works well. Giving a dog a large bone to chew on is good for the ones who bark when you are at home. A dog who loves its bone is very often not interested in much else, and gee, it is hard to bark when you have those jaws clamped around a large tasty raw bone. :)

Souff

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will use a collar (electronic or citronella) for a problem youngster who is just not getting the "quiet" message.

But only when we are there to observe the behaviour and to reinforce training.

Don't know if this is any help to you, but I have heard trainers say that teaching a dog to bark on command is often effective in stopping unwanted barking. I have also heard it said that teaching a dog to jump on command is often likewise effective in stopping dogs from jumping fences.

Why don't people use electronic barking collars? Why don't local councils sell such collars?

Well, for one they're illegal to use in NSW (Which drives me insane but that's the way it is).

K9Pro sells bark collars. K9Pro is in NSW. There maybe restrictions on its use in NSW but I think those restrictions can be got around. If you need one I would ask K9Pro, you can find him here: http://www.k9pro.com.au/

It is all very well to use 'gadgets' to try and stop a dog barking however this doesn't take away the dog's reasons for barking. He might stop barking and instead feel even more nervous and confused.

The problem is the home environment not set up to suit that particular dog's personality. Imagine we place a dog in a backyard (doesnt matter how big or small) and he feels he needs to protect his territory, However generally we haven't trained the dog to understand our human rules, he doesnt know he is only meant to bark for a couple of minutes.

He hears something on the other side of the fence - he feels the threat so he barks to ward off the possible intrusion into his space - the fact that the intrusion is on the other side of the fence is something the dog doesn't understand.

There are many factors that need to be taken into consideration to stop a barker but in general teaching a dog to be more social in different environments will go a long way, the choice of dog is also important and yes, little dogs will often feel more threatened and continue barking. Obedience classes won't help except in the fact that you are getting your dog out and about in the community. Classes provide the training on lead with the owner present, this doesn't help the dog when he is home alone left to guard the territory.

We run a boarding kennel (only for 20-30 dogs), often owners will tell us their dog is a" bit of a barker", but even so we can stop the barking without the use of any gadgets, drugs or violence. We set up the environment so the dog can feel safe and relax. We have to handle different dogs in different ways but once they understand the space and the routine, they settle and then enjoy the exercise and interactions. Yes even the little maltesessssssss

It is all very well to use 'gadgets' to try and stop a dog barking however this doesn't take away the dog's reasons for barking.

Yes, but it may take away some of the reasons why neighbors kill other people's dog, it may take away some of reasons why people abandon their dogs to pounds and so forth.

There are many factors that need to be taken into consideration to stop a barker but in general teaching a dog to be more social in different environments will go a long way, the choice of dog is also important and yes, little dogs will often feel more threatened and continue barking.

All this is true, but we don't live in a perfect world. I don't believe that we should take away or remove tools and/or methods that can help the dog keep its home and family. These things may not be ideal, but they are still far better than being poisoned by the neighbors, abandoned to the pound or pts.

Why don't people use electronic barking collars? Why don't local councils sell such collars?

Well, for one they're illegal to use in NSW (Which drives me insane but that's the way it is).

K9Pro sells bark collars. K9Pro is in NSW. There maybe restrictions on its use in NSW but I think those restrictions can be got around. If you need one I would ask K9Pro, you can find him here: http://www.k9pro.com.au/

They're not illegal to sell, they're illegal to use. And you will see that K9pro state all through the website that people must check the restrictions in their own state. They are illegal to use in NSW full stop. There is no getting around it (except to just use them anyway, it's unlikely you'd be caught). But it means dog trainers, Council officers etc cannot recommend them to people with barking dogs and as such a lot of those dogs may end up debarked or dead instead. Madness.

If you don't believe me just read the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act.

If more people kept their dogs inside, it would not be such a huge problem. If you put the dog inside and close all the doors and windows, it's less likely to find anything to bark at in the first place, and even if it does, the neighbours would barely hear it.

And it's surprising how intolerant some neighbours are.

My neighbour had a screaming fit at me a few nights ago over my 5 month old pup letting out a dozen or so loud barks from INSIDE my house over a 5 minute period whilst I prepared her dinner.

Apparently this is 'not acceptable and won't be tolerated'. Try explaining to this woman the reason why my pup is barking at this particular time and what I am doing to counter it and get lectured that I will 'need to do more'.

Mind you we are talking about a working line Mal pup that is given a huge amount of exercise and training each day, never barks in her run, is kept inside at night (crated next to my bed) and only lets off an occasional 5 second yap throughout the day. I think we're doing pretty damn well thank you!

Same neighbour also complained about my pup digging a hole in wait for it ...... MY backyard. Their reason? "She banged her bone against the fence and knocked all the tools off our shed wall" (They built their shed on the boundary line so on my side it's the fence..). But come one!

Can't please some people... :rolleyes:

If more people kept their dogs inside, it would not be such a huge problem. If you put the dog inside and close all the doors and windows, it's less likely to find anything to bark at in the first place, and even if it does, the neighbours would barely hear it.

And it's surprising how intolerant some neighbours are.

My neighbour had a screaming fit at me a few nights ago over my 5 month old pup letting out a dozen or so loud barks from INSIDE my house over a 5 minute period whilst I prepared her dinner.

Apparently this is 'not acceptable and won't be tolerated'. Try explaining to this woman the reason why my pup is barking at this particular time and what I am doing to counter it and get lectured that I will 'need to do more'.

Mind you we are talking about a working line Mal pup that is given a huge amount of exercise and training each day, never barks in her run, is kept inside at night (crated next to my bed) and only lets off an occasional 5 second yap throughout the day. I think we're doing pretty damn well thank you!

Same neighbour also complained about my pup digging a hole in wait for it ...... MY backyard. Their reason? "She banged her bone against the fence and knocked all the tools off our shed wall" (They built their shed on the boundary line so on my side it's the fence..). But come one!

Can't please some people... :rolleyes:

Nutcases!!

If you don't believe me just read the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act.

I'll take your word for it. Yea, I think it's madness too.

It is totally crazy and as urban population densities are increasingly rapidly, this law needs to be re-visited.

Also the same for de-barking. It is not cruelty and vets must be allowed to provide this service to their patients, without owners having to be treated like potential criminals first.

Souff