Non-slip Booties/socks?

pip1981

Hi There,

Haven't been posting in here for quite a while, but I need some advice please...

We are about to install hard flooring in our home (currently all carpet, except for wet areas- ergh!). My girl Tika already struggles on the kitchen tiles due to arthritis in right rear joints, so I know she is going to really struggle with the new flooring. We will have quite a few rugs/runners around, but it won't be enough. I'm wanting to purchase her some non-slip booties/socks to wear indoors. I think my younger girl Dakota will cope and probably enjoy the new slip 'n slide, lol, but I don't want her sliding into Tika, hehe, so I'll probably get some for her too.

I would appreciate any recommendations/links you can offer! Thanks :D

Yeah kids socks with the little rubber pads on the bottom

or you can get dog boots (petbarn sell them if not there are more serious ones for hiking etc available online)

We got some for our BC when he was pup, more so because he was sliding everywhere (i think he liked that tho) and would get go thud into a wall or some furniture. Our boy wouldnt wear the dog boots tho, he would walk really weird - really slow and would lift each leg really high then slowly put each foot down - funny to watch but not really worth it for him to walk around the house like that would take an hour to get anywhere LOL

Now that's a good idea! Thanks Sway, will check the shops this week :D Can you tell I'm not very creative? lol

Haha, thanks auir, now I'm picturing your silly puppy :D

Edited by pip1981

We are encountering the same issue. We now have rugs and runners all over the house with sections of the house blocked off.

Unfortunately my girl would not tolerate socks on her feet and I'm afraid that my younger dog might decide that they would be great to play with and accidentally swallow them if they fell off.

We tried the paw wax but I found the effects to be minimal.

I have ordered some band aids with tread. I'm not sure that it would be a great daily option but it would give me more confidence when we are out and about visiting.

http://www.puppylovepawpads.com/testimonials.asp

Are you sure that you want to put these floors in? It is heart breaking to see them fall.

Good luck and please update us with how you go :)

Thanks for your response cornell, I know what you mean about seeing them fall, as she already occasionally falls in the kitchen area and at the vets, etc. and is is quite upsetting, but unfortunately we don't really have a choice, our carpet is pretty trashed, as it was only ever builder's quality and we raised our youngest dog here. Being Samoyeds, you can imagine the hair loss (I'm only guessing, but it's probably triple the hair you're used to..lol) and the carpet makes it so hard to ever clean up all the hair, and to add something new to the mix, we now have a baby boy, who will soon be mobile and and we really don't want him coughing up hairballs from all the hair we missed on the carpet :laugh: Also, he'll be eating solids soon, and we need somewhere practical to feed him- our kitchen is tiled, but tiny, not designed for dining in.

Unfortunately it will mean cleaning more often for me, as the carpet is light in colour and actually disguised the hair loss, our new floors will not! :eek:

We will still be getting rugs and runners throughout, so hopefully Tika will be ok. Don't get me wrong, I've questioned our decision myself as my girls mean so much to me, I hate to see her suffer, but we just can't live with the carpet anymore, it's so unhygienic and I suffer dust allergies which I think are exaggerated by the carpet.

I hate to discuss this, but some might be thinking why don't we wait until Tika's no longer with us, but she is only 7 years old, the vet thinks her arthritis is the result of an untreated injury while in her previous home, so she is hardly old, and is otherwise healthy, so I think (and hope) we'd be waiting quite some time.

The adhesive paw pads looks interesting, I'll keep them in mind, thanks :)

Floors going in 1st of Feb, I'll try and remember to let you know how she goes.

I completely understand.

Have a think about keeping the old carpet and cutting it into runners *just in case* you need it. I foolishly threw out all of my carpets and regret it now it is costing me $$$ to find an alternative - just a thought.

If you did want to go for proper dog socks you could try http://woodrowwear.com

Good luck!

What type of flooring are you going to have? Lots of dogs do manage on hard floors but just don't have polished floorboards. Apart from it being very slippery the dogs claws will destroy the finish. Estapol is fine and some of the floating floor boards are tough enough and not as slippery. Tiles can be very slippery, hard and dangerous for dogs and toddlers if they fall on them.

If I had a choice I would love slate or cushioned rubber flooring for ease of cleaning without being slippery.

Edited by dancinbcs

We have floating wooden floors at our place and the dogs do occasionally slip and slide if they have been out to the toilet on wet grass. I have runners and squares of carpet on the high traffic (or should I say zoomie prone) areas. Not the prettiest, but I just pick them up and put them in the linen cupboard if we know we are having guests.

We have floating wooden floors at our place and the dogs do occasionally slip and slide if they have been out to the toilet on wet grass. I have runners and squares of carpet on the high traffic (or should I say zoomie prone) areas. Not the prettiest, but I just pick them up and put them in the linen cupboard if we know we are having guests.

Thanks Shaar, this is my plan too :)

I bought babies/kids socks with the grip dots on them for my old girl as she was bending her toes under. One of the rescue people suggested taping them on with some stuff I got from the chemist that comes off easy. A little hair would come with them but not much. If you sew you could try putting some elastic in them or velcro the tops. My girl tolerated them with the tape. She's gone now but I've kept the socks as a memory of her because they were bright pink and I know she hated being dressed up in any way!

Dogbooties have a little velco strap which keeps them on.

They stand up to racing sled dogs so they should last you a while and they don't come off.

http://www.dogbooties.com/dogbooties.html

I've got the 1000 denier for Esky- but that's for running on hard surfaces. Have a read through this page and see if they suit. I highly reccomend them

Whoops. I did my reading and it's pretty obvious the best one for your situation is this

http://www.dogbooties.com/products/toug90boot.html

Edited by Esky the husky

I have polished floor boards and for the safety of my dog (who is a bit less cautious than my previous girl) I bought some rubber backed carpet from Clarke Rubber. Sure - I miss the look of my floor boards but the rubber backed carpet has seen us through some rough times of puppy hood and upwards. It's not only falls that I hate to see, but I hate the 'splits' and cringe at the thought of ligament damage. My expansive carpet pieces cost me somewhere about two or three hundred, I think, but that was 3 years ago. They vacuum up far easier than normal carpet and they are easy and light to roll/fold up when you want to give the floor a good vac and wash. The carpet would be safer for the little babe too, wouldn't it?

Karndean Flooring solves all your problems. www.karndean.com.au

Looks and feels like the real thing but no slip even when its wet. We have it in the kitchen and the dogs can run flat out across it. It has a protective layer on it so it doesn't get marked and scratched and its quiet to walk on.

I bought babies/kids socks with the grip dots on them for my old girl as she was bending her toes under. One of the rescue people suggested taping them on with some stuff I got from the chemist that comes off easy. A little hair would come with them but not much. If you sew you could try putting some elastic in them or velcro the tops. My girl tolerated them with the tape. She's gone now but I've kept the socks as a memory of her because they were bright pink and I know she hated being dressed up in any way!

Thanks Puppy Sniffer, I'll keep your idea in mind, although, unlike your girl, I don't think Tika would tolerate tape stuck to her hair, she's a little sensitive. Oh, and I don't sew :o

They stand up to racing sled dogs so they should last you a while and they don't come off.

I've got the 1000 denier for Esky- but that's for running on hard surfaces. Have a read through this page and see if they suit. I highly reccomend them

Whoops. I did my reading and it's pretty obvious the best one for your situation is this

Thanks ETH, had a look, funny looking things, but I've saved that link as an option!

I have polished floor boards and for the safety of my dog (who is a bit less cautious than my previous girl) I bought some rubber backed carpet from Clarke Rubber. Sure - I miss the look of my floor boards but the rubber backed carpet has seen us through some rough times of puppy hood and upwards. It's not only falls that I hate to see, but I hate the 'splits' and cringe at the thought of ligament damage. My expansive carpet pieces cost me somewhere about two or three hundred, I think, but that was 3 years ago. They vacuum up far easier than normal carpet and they are easy and light to roll/fold up when you want to give the floor a good vac and wash. The carpet would be safer for the little babe too, wouldn't it?

Thanks for your reply Erny. Thankfully, Tika is very mindful of her lack of strength in the rear end, so she adapts her walk for different surfaces, and if she comes unstuck, she seems to know how to fall without hurting herself, sort of deliberately if you can imagine that. Having said that, I know she is at risk of further damage, and will be very careful with her and the new floors. I have a Clark Rubber close by, so I will check out the carpet. As for my little boy, we will have rugs for him to play on in the early stages, and I'm sure as he gets older he'll bump his head a few times on the floor, like most kiddies. You're right, carpet would be safer in that respect, but thankfully laminate boards absorb more impact than the tiles that we currently have in the kitchen, and for us, the benefits of hard floors will (hopefully) outweigh the negatives.

Karndean Flooring solves all your problems. www.karndean.com.au

Looks and feels like the real thing but no slip even when its wet. We have it in the kitchen and the dogs can run flat out across it. It has a protective layer on it so it doesn't get marked and scratched and its quiet to walk on.

Thanks emilee, but I think that brand was out of my price range when I was first looking, and we have already booked and paid for another. :)

Thanks ETH, had a look, funny looking things, but I've saved that link as an option!

They are very functional though

Here's a better visual.

6126257043_85c8d7eef8_m.jpg

dog booties and harness by 9114, on Flickr