Another Question....barking!

Hunny

Hmmmmmm.....70 views and no response, so I'll rephrase my question. :)

Any advice on what to do, to discourage an 11 month labbie from barking at everything that moves and things that aren't really there? Or could this perhaps be a phase she is going through?

We don't know whether to ignore the behavouir (and it keeps going on), distract (is this a reward for barking) or tell her off somehow.

Edited by Hunny

Hmmmmmm.....70 views and no response, so I'll rephrase my question. :)

Any advice on what to do, to discourage an 11 month labbie from barking at everything that moves and things that aren't really there? Or could this perhaps be a phase she is going through?

We don't know whether to ignore the behavouir (and it keeps going on), distract (is this a reward for barking) or tell her off somehow.

Hi! I know what its like to have people view a post and not reply. So here it goes...

I'm not an expert but have recently attended a puppy school who encourage "time outs". Whilst I thought this was strange in the beginning (because our other puppy school taught us differently) separating the dog into a crate or other room for a while makes them realise that if they play up and behave the way you don't like they get isolated. The example is rough play with puppys. I however have tried this on my 3 yearold Frenchie who barks at the window and front gate. Everytime she really carries on I say "too bad" and take her into the bathroom and close the door, it took her 3 or 4 goes and now when I recall her she's pretty fast otherwise my recall word becomes a "too bad" and into the bathroom she goes. *putting on flame suit* We were spraying her with water after saying 'leave it', which worked temporarily but the time out really does well because it gives her time to calm down too - obviously now I give her the choice to come when called and get a treat or be isolated for a couple of minutes (for the puppy its for as long as it takes for him to be quiet or stop banging on the door).

I initially thought this was not going to work but now when I say "too bad" even my puppy starts walking towards his crate like he knows what he's done!

The trick with two dogs, is to have a different time out work for each... I was lazy so now our eldest thinks she's in trouble when its the puppy! and so they both stand there staring at me motionless incase they get to keep playing while the other is timed out! :laugh:

I can only sympathize unfortunately as I am yet to find a solution to Bear's barking that has lasted more than a week. Sending you positive thoughts for a quick solution as I understand how frustrating it can be listening to a dog bark all the time and not knowing how to make them stop.

Do you know why she is barking?

The reason for the behaviour will greatly determine the treatment.

For example if it stems from fear, punishment will only make it worse, or cause even worse behaviours to develop

If its for attention, then ignoring (as hard as it is) would be an option

If its a self-rewarding behviour- ie she just likes the sound of her voice, then an anti bark collar or something similar may be appropriate.

How long does she bark for and how often?

Perhaps you could consider getting a professional to come and assess her.

My lab went through a barky stage from puppy to about 6 months. Ignoring her and telling her to sshhh seemed to work for us. I also taught her how to bark on command, but it can easily backfire. Luckily for me, she is very quiet now and only barks when someone comes to the door unexpectedly.