Digging With A Purpose

smisch

Den is a really well behaved bc except he's now digging as my neighbors dogs always have bones which they leave along the fence and Den thinks its fantastic to go dig along the fence and pull the bones through...

I don't feed bones much due he has issues with them, as in aggression issues and we have 2 other dogs which causes issues among the pack.. He gets a bone bout once a month when we're home and he is contained in his run until finished and I then remove the remainder so we don't have problems

We have blocked off the fence edge with wooden logs but that's not enough for him.. Lattice, bricks ect don't work either..

I have explained to the neighbors when I have seen them that I don't feed bones and could they try and keep them away from the fence.. It's not their problem so much as mine..

Suggestions??

Smisch rents, which makes it hard, thats one reason why I have so much trouble keeping Tess in, if I owned my own place the fence would be dug a foot into the ground!

Ah bugger!

In that case, I can't think of much else than blocking the area off and it doesn't sound like that's working! Determined little bugger :laugh:

Would a dog run of some kind be a possibility, something that isn't fixed to the ground?

All the best with it, it's not an easy thing to fix.

Hes already got a run which I contain him in as much as humanly possible for me and him.. He'll stay in there for a while but will get destructive in there due to boredom even with toys and amusement cos he can see the others out in the yard and knows there's better things to be doing..,

Devil dog Is all I can say.. He's too smart for his own good, I try and tire him it works for like a half hour lol the only thing that well and truly kills him is an all day trial lol pity we can't do that everyday lol

A friend of mine has laid those bunnings compost mesh panels on the ground along their fence line where their staffy cross digs. They just laid them flat and secured them with bricks. They tried chicken mesh but it just bent as she dug and ended up in a huge mess. The compost mesh panels are thicker and dont bend. but i guess it will depend on what you have on that fence line. They just had grass but if you have a garden bed it might be a little more difficult.

Our dogs used to run the fence because of the neighbours dogs so we just put in another smaller fence about 1.5m off the boundary. Just cheap chicken wire and some garden stakes.

But just make sure you set it up properly as one of ours used to get behind it and then couldn't work out how to get out :rolleyes: In summer that could be a major issue

Otherwise I woud very quietly set up either a ping string or electric fence (electric fence being something the RPSCA woud not approve of in a suburban environment)

Blocking the area has already been described. Here is another idea.

Val Bonnie suggests in her book to put the dogs poo where the dog diggs. Works a treat, really. If I have a new plant I put a bit of poo under the top layer of potting mix. They don't touch it.

Also important is to avoid any kind of blood and bone meal.

A friend of mine has laid those bunnings compost mesh panels on the ground along their fence line where their staffy cross digs. They just laid them flat and secured them with bricks. They tried chicken mesh but it just bent as she dug and ended up in a huge mess. The compost mesh panels are thicker and dont bend. but i guess it will depend on what you have on that fence line. They just had grass but if you have a garden bed it might be a little more difficult.

Yup this works