Nicknames?

( This is my first real topic post so I hope it is all done correctly :o )

Do you call your dog a nickname or abbreviated version of its name sometimes? Does it respond to the nickname?

Is this all confusing for the dog, or is it more about tone of voice etc. ?

I have a new pup arriving in a few weeks time so I've got names on the brain :noidea:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 7 kids, 4 of them have nicknames and they all respond equally well to either. The other three all have shortened versions of their real names.

The nicknames have all come about usually within the first 6 months of being with me.

Scoota - Moo

Jenna - Beans

Strauss - Mouse

Cider - Soggy Bear

Edited by Ptolomy

I'm so glad to hear that they all respond to such terrific nicknames!

My boy Rumor gets anything that rhymes with his name that I can think of on the spot. Mostly Zuma though.

Also Princess Lady came out of my mouth randomly one day.. and that certainly stuck! :laugh:

But if I want to get his attention and keep him alert (if we are outdoors etc.) I always stick to Rumor.

Edited by Guest

Herbert... love it!!! Hahahaha!

Zeddy - ZedZed, Zeddy Bubba, Bubba

Trouble - ChubbaLubbaDubbaTrubbaBubba, Chubbalubs, Chubs, ChubbaLubbaWamBamBoom

Pickles - Camp Dog, Hoppy, Wobbles, Ratbag, Pickie Poo, Puckles

They respond to all of them...

T.

The only dog I never gave silly nicknames to was one I chose from a breeder named from when she first came home as a pup. She was Phobie and sometimes got Phobes. All the others (bar my heart girl) have been rescues that came with names which I invariably extend in to silliness. One dog came equally to the names Hey Dog, Gordon and Ian which was very strange!

My heart girl came nameless and named herself. Stussy was the only name she'd respond to (offered up by a friend) and it was not even remotely on my list of girly names I wanted her to have. I generally call her Smooshus or Smooshalicious. I think it is just the Sssss sound and tone that attracts her attention. When I give her commands though I only ever use her proper name like "Stussy come!" so there is no confusion about what I want her to do.

Burg, Burger, Bugs, Burgermonster, Monster, Bundle, and many many more. Apparently he has too many nicknames :o

We tested the theory and he doesn't answer to "Anything" or "idiot" even when called in a happy voice :laugh:

Ian :rofl::cry:

Edited by Bundyburger

Yep all our dogs, past and present have had like a million nicknames :laugh:

Current two

Troy - TroyBoy, finlay (his middle name) Littlest (his second middle name :laugh: )Marn, Fin Fin, Finy and the list goes on

Thea - 'Thea Rose', Thee Thee, Theepee (for when she does inappropriate pees) theepoos (i am sure u can guess)thistle (dont ask, thats my sisters nickname for her) I am sure there will be more for her but she is only 5mnths old atm :laugh:

Yep i am insane i know :rofl:

P.S both answer to all of the above

Collectively they are 'the munchkins' :laugh:

Edited by german_shep_fan

Stan is just pretty much Stan or Stan Da Man

Maddie on the other hand is:

Madeline,Madeline the devine ,Mads,Madgie chicken stock cube,Madgilene,Maddie Moo,Maddie Moo Bar,Moo Moo or Little chick and she responds to them all :o