When You Leave The House

Vickie

208 members have voted

1. 1. When you are out, are your dogs...

• In the house loose
    • Crated in the house
    • Loose in the backyard
    • In runs inside garage or shed
    • In runs outside
    • Some contained, some not
    • Other

My guys (4) are left in the yard. They wait for us to come home, no digging etc as at the moment its too hot here (42 the other day) I am trying to work out how to let them into the back enclosed verandah, not sure how the doggie door will go as the big dog is 45kgs and the littlest is 5kgs. Might have to do 2 doors methinks.

Edited by piperspal

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Half my dogs have access to the front of the house (the ones who are trusted to just snooze and not destroy anything), the other half have access to the back half.

The back yard has a small fence + nosey neighbour so no outside access unless I am home until thats sorted. They would all prefer to be in the house- the Kelpies in particular see outside as a toilet and a morning and evening zoomie track and thats about it. I would eventually like a doggie door but even with an 8ft fence the neighbour still has a stool to say hello to the other neighbours that have put up high fencing!!

My Finnish Lapphund is crated if the back part of the house isn't SPOTLESS because she will knock stuff around and destroy one item. Mind you the ends of the crate (not the doors) are cable tied as she 'lets herself out'. But that is if we are going out for less than three hrs. Anything longer and I just suck it up and do the cleaning required to have her free.

Usually, in the backyard, alltogether. Obviously that differs when bitches are in season, and they will be in a pen as well as any of the boys who are getting overwrought might be in a pen for a time out.

They are only ever crated if injured. If they are indoors they have their bed and have to have manners and stay on it mostly, no crates.

Mine are active at night as well. They sleep during warm weather, even daytime in winter they are less likely to run about.

Smaller dogs that may be active indoors in aircon during daytimes might sleep all night, but many bigger dogs that feel the heat prefer to be active at night.

Can't imagine my lot running around in the house! The place would be demolished! :eek:

edit sp

Edited by Alyosha

Inside, once all barbie dolls & erasers have been secured, & a pigs ear administered.

We have a tiny yard & she barks a lot when left out. Inside, she sleeps. (after searching for any forgotten dolls or rubbers! :laugh: )

I chose 'other' as they are not loose in the house but they do have access inside and they have access outside. They come and go as they choose through a dog door but I have a portable fence that contains them to an area and stops them from roaming through the house. The fence is also put up at night for them to sleep.

As for crating, I don't agree with it even for evenings. Dogs were not meant to be caged and I believe there is a gradual increase in the acceptance of crating dogs for long periods of time which is not a good thing. If you have to regularly and repeatedly contain a dog, why not contain it to an area that it is still able to walk around, like a room?

Crating a dog to recover from an injury or for other short term and specific purposes however is acceptable in my opinion.

I chose 'other' as they are not loose in the house but they do have access inside and they have access outside. They come and go as they choose through a dog door but I have a portable fence that contains them to an area and stops them from roaming through the house. The fence is also put up at night for them to sleep.

As for crating, I don't agree with it even for evenings. Dogs were not meant to be caged and I believe there is a gradual increase in the acceptance of crating dogs for long periods of time which is not a good thing. If you have to regularly and repeatedly contain a dog, why not contain it to an area that it is still able to walk around, like a room?

Crating a dog to recover from an injury or for other short term and specific purposes however is acceptable in my opinion.

:thumbsup:

I don't crate either - unless the dog has to be confined for an injury.

I train my dogs and start as I am going to finish. They have run of the house and outside access all day. I see so much pyschological damage to the puppy farm dogs we rescue from being caged their entire lives - that I could never crate one of mine for convenience.

I voted other as well; we live in a small inner city terrace (all open space) with a little courtyard.

On nice days, they are both out in the courtyard whilst I go to work.

On rainy days, they are inside. Will (Tenterfield Terrier) has free run of the house with the cat. He is much happier to be inside anyways (he tends to fret after a while outside and goes back and forth between doors), doesn't do any damage and can hold his bladder for 11 hours. Penny, 6 months old cocker, is confined to the bathroom with a baby gate and uses newspaper to relieve herself. The same goes if I go out of an evening, they are inside regardless of the weather.

If I duck out to do some grocery shopping etc on a week night or the week end, they both have free run of the house.

Ideally, I'd love to have a dog door put in and find a way to restrict them to one area of the house when I am at work so they can come in as they please and not leave paw prints all over the place (and also because Will tends to sleep on the dark blue sofa leaving white hair everywhere, which he never does when I'm home!) . I suspect they would spend most of their time inside except for a few naps in the sun and toileting...

Edited by fbaudry

Lol try telling my dogs their crate is a cage.... i have to lock the doors to stop them from wanting to be in there all the time and usually have to kick them out of their crates in the mornings. Its no cage in this household....its the most awesome place on earth and highly valued. Psychological injury would likely be more prevalent in a dog forced to be crated for an injury and has not been shown the value/love for it. Each to their own.

my two are crated overnight and have access to the back yard during the day while Im at work. if Im home they are inside with me. :-)

Up until just recently we have always locked the dogs into dog runs outside when we go out. But after spotting a few brown snakes around the property, we have decided to leave them loose in our family room.

They have toys to play with, water, a little bit of dry food in their bowls, comfy couch, or their beds to sleep on....& we also leave the tv on for them & the airconditioner on when it is a hot day.

We take them for a small run around the property before going out so they can toilet before we leave, & we leave some newspaper on the ground near the sliding door in case they need to go. So far they haven't done any accidents, & none of them are really the destructive type either, so we are fairly confident they won't chew or destroy anything. From what I can see I would guess that they mostly just sleep the whole time we are out.

I feel much better about keeping them inside than outside, & we will be keeping them inside from now on. :)

I voted outside, but when we go out they have the run of the backyard, plus the garage under the house (doggy door) which has their beds, box of toys with a spare water bowl, the other bowls are in different spots in the yard, so Ivy doesn't dig in all of them!

If we go out at night, they are allowed in the house, via doggy door access but doors and baby gates are in place so they only get access to the kitchen and lounge room. They tend to go and sleep in the garage anyways when this happens.

Agree, I'm all for crating for a purpose such as car travel, toilet training, sleeping, but if the dog is crated because there are no other suitable containment system for the dog then that is wrong IMO. I've met dogs who are crated at night then crated again while the owner goes to work. That's an awful lot of containment. An intelligent animal kept in a space 1m x 1m for more than 16hrs a day? Not for me.

Dogs are incredibe, sentient beings. They should be treated as such :)

Lol try telling my dogs their crate is a cage.... i have to lock the doors to stop them from wanting to be in there all the time and usually have to kick them out of their crates in the mornings. Its no cage in this household....its the most awesome place on earth and highly valued. Psychological injury would likely be more prevalent in a dog forced to be crated for an injury and has not been shown the value/love for it. Each to their own.

my two are crated overnight and have access to the back yard during the day while Im at work. if Im home they are inside with me. :-)

If dogs sleep with the crate door open, for access to water etc then its fine.

If dogs are well trained why do they need to be locked in a crate at night? :confused:

Edited by schnauzer

Guest donatella

Agree, I'm all for crating for a purpose such as car travel, toilet training, sleeping, but if the dog is crated because there are no other suitable containment system for the dog then that is wrong IMO. I've met dogs who are crated at night then crated again while the owner goes to work. That's an awful lot of containment. An intelligent animal kept in a space 1m x 1m for more than 16hrs a day? Not for me.

Dogs are incredibe, sentient beings. They should be treated as such :)

110% agree.

There is no life for a dog being crated an enrire work day then crated at night.

Mine are in their dog runs which have a yard attached.

I have a huge issue with leaving them inside and my house is a very hot house so they are safer outside. Also their yard is surrounded by grass and therefore much less likely to burn incase of wildfire. The house is also surrounded by grass, but the trees are close and there is paint and jerrycans etc in the garage.

We have a large amount of snakes so dog doors are a big no-no.

I have gone to a fair bit of effort to reduce snakes being able to get in their yard.

I also would not handle it very well if I came home to part of my house chewed up or destroyed. They are inside with me when I am home.

I have occassionally left them inside when I have gone out for tea for a few hours and they have been fine.

post-23623-0-35602600-1327502547_thumb.jpg

Edited by OSoSwift