How Cute Are These?

We got a call about 10 days ago asking us if we could take five 12 day old BT cross Staffy pups due to their mum being rough and chewing on them (3 have bits of their ears missing). We advised that we could take the whole litter AND mum dog (the BT) to give them all the best chance - if mum dog was acting like this with those 5, then she could do it to the others too. So - the owners of mum dog (her name is Storm) brought them all over to us, surrendered the pups, and will allow us to keep Storm until the pups are weaned, then we will have her desexed and vaccinated, and give her back to her family.

We have worked out (with vet advice) what was causing Storm to chew on her babies, and have rectified that situation - and all the babies are doing really well now. 3 of them have half an ear missing, but I reckon that will only add character... *grin*... they are otherwise stunning little things.

We call this service "Pregnant Paws", and have been piloting it for a few months now.

Anyways - without further ado - here are pics of the munchkins...

The day after they came to us...

15-01-2012-storm_pups008.jpg

2 days ago...

22-01-2012-BT-pups003.jpg

22-01-2012-BT-pups034.jpg

22-01-2012-BT-pups044.jpg

22-01-2012-BT-pups063.jpg

Today...

24-01-2012-BT-pups-storm003.jpg

24-01-2012-BT-pups-storm006.jpg

24-01-2012-BT-pups-storm013.jpg

We have 7 boys and 1 girl - the names we've picked to use are... Thomas, Jack, Joe, Petey, Mikey, William, and Charlie for the boys, and Sasha for the girl. Haven't actually allocated the names to individual boys yet - waiting for them to show a bit more of their personalities first...

Oh - and here is Storm... ain't she purty?

24-01-2012-BT-pups-storm005.jpg

T.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The girl is the brindle one looking up in the 3rd last photo Purdie.

I hadn't really noticed that it's the left ear on each pup Kirislin... one pup has a little chunk missing from the bottom back section of the right ear as well.

It seems that the reason she did that to her bubs was a combination of needing extra calcium in her diet and needing more food in general - apparently it's a fairly common thing in BT's? We now make sure she always has a huge full bowl of puppy dry food available, and give her soft food with added calcium powder 3 times a day. Once she realised there was a constant supply of food and the pups weren't going to take it, she has settled down to being a pretty good mum. She has also gained a bit of weight and is now producing plenty of milk for the babies - she is happily feeding them and cleaning them.

We have been offering the babies some sloshy puppy wet food for the past few days, and they are right into it... *grin*

They are starting to look like little dogs now, and are extremely mobile. I can't wait to see what their little faces are going to look like - so far I reckon we have a nice mix of the BT and Staffy snouts. None seem to be trending towards either nose style as yet though. They should be starting to be a bit more coordinated and start playing with each other soon too.

T.

Gorgeous pups.

That sounds like a great service you offer. Without it, no doubt mum and pups would have had to be separated unnecessarily. And the owners of the mum wil no doubt be very grateful for the opportunity to learn from you. Do you ask them for a contribution?

The girl is the brindle one looking up in the 3rd last photo Purdie.

I hadn't really noticed that it's the left ear on each pup Kirislin... one pup has a little chunk missing from the bottom back section of the right ear as well.

It seems that the reason she did that to her bubs was a combination of needing extra calcium in her diet and needing more food in general - apparently it's a fairly common thing in BT's? We now make sure she always has a huge full bowl of puppy dry food available, and give her soft food with added calcium powder 3 times a day. Once she realised there was a constant supply of food and the pups weren't going to take it, she has settled down to being a pretty good mum. She has also gained a bit of weight and is now producing plenty of milk for the babies - she is happily feeding them and cleaning them.

We have been offering the babies some sloshy puppy wet food for the past few days, and they are right into it... *grin*

They are starting to look like little dogs now, and are extremely mobile. I can't wait to see what their little faces are going to look like - so far I reckon we have a nice mix of the BT and Staffy snouts. None seem to be trending towards either nose style as yet though. They should be starting to be a bit more coordinated and start playing with each other soon too.

T.

It must be fairly common T. Chloe did the same thing. :eek: I remember thinking when the pups were born that I'd have to hand raise them as she was going them. :( Thankfully she didn't do any damage. I upped her calcium intake and she settled into a better Mumma.

Gorgeous pups. I am glad they are safe now and glad the owner has agreed to you guys desexing Mumma before returning her. :thumbsup:

They're just shining with good health....as well as cuteness. This is the start to life all puppies should have....mother dog assessed & given best of care, puppies, too. And lots of contact with their human carers. Great work!

Tintin Jac - we get to keep the puppies rather than asking the owner of the mother dog to pay anything.

mita - you can bet we spend lots of time with the pups - we are starting to call them "the time wasters"... lol!

I went and sat in their box with them today and got swarmed! They are the funniest little things who are shaping up to be exceptionally people friendly - and we have now got play happening! They waddle over to each other and munch down and shake - too funny to watch as they have no teeth yet... *grin*... and the little growls and barks are a complete crack up.

I think we are going to have at least 3 pups with a similar profile to Storm's - just with slightly shorter snouts.

The smallest pup (we are calling him Joe) - the tan one with 2 white spots on his neck in the first photo - seems to be the one who is advancing fastest. He's always the first with his head in the food tray (and the last to take it out) or to waddle over for a climb on any human silly enough to sit in the box with him. Sasha (the girl) is also a climber - she heads straight for your lap, then has to perch herself on the highest point she can climb to. The big black brindle boy is the laziest, followed by the big brindle boy - probably why they are the biggest pups. They are all fully aware of their surroundings and I think their eyesight and hearing are getting better too - when you say "hello kids" you get all heads up and looking at you... *grin*

Storm has a beddie set up just outside the box so she can rest away from the babies if she wants - and she is taking full advantage of it nowadays. She will watch them and go to feed them whenever her udders are full, and she goes to clean up every mess they make pretty darned quickly too. She is not protective of food any more either - we can have her eating outside the box, and the puppies with their tray inside the box, and all get their fill. She only cleans up what's left in the puppies tray when they have all left it.

I'll be very happy if all of these babies have their mum's temperament - she is an expert snugglebum and very placid girl. After her bath the other day she came up so soft and snuggly - she gets lots of cuddles - and we take her out for a run and potty break a few times a day so she can have some one-on-one time with us too.

T.

I've read about that calcium issue in the breeders threads. Seems kind of commonish. Imagine how horrible it would be thinking the mother was going to eat them all!

Pregnant Paws sounds like a great initiative too - it should impact on inappropriate dumping of small pups and their mums and it certainly gives the pups a much better opportunity to find good homes. Plus mum goes back to where she came from desexed! What's not to love about the idea!

Please keep up the pics T - I've been feeling a bit forlorn about the lack of puppy pics of late!

Ohhh they are so beautiful and I agree that the 'earless' babes will have extra character :thumbsup: Many Bull Breed Breeders will administer calcium injections straight after whelping, it is really common for all BB to have calcium deficiency right after whelping.

Good luck they are really divine.

Well - today some of the munchkins are trying to run... and nearly succeeding... lol!

Too funny when I enter their enclosure nowadays - they appear to know that I'm one of the "food ladies", and come wobbling over at their fastest pace all looking up and squalling "dinnertime!"

A few of them are working their little teeth through by gnawing on my fingers when we have cuddle time - I reckon we'll have a good number of teeth by the end of this weekend.

Joe is also starting to check out the sides and corners of the whelping box - he can get himself up just high enough to poke his nose over - he'll be our first escapee methinks...

I'm getting well jack of this inclement weather though... it really reduces the places we can have the pups out. I'd love to get them out onto the grass a bit more, but the nice shaded areas are a quagmire after last night's bucketing... grr!

T.

Aww they not only look adorable but sound adorable too T. :)

And same. This weather is driving me bonkers. It's so humid and feels so ikky. :(

The poor dogs have had enough of it too, and the kids.

So much for summer. :laugh:

The summer we've had would be more in place in far north Queensland methinks... hot and wet and sticky... ewwwie!

I suppose it's better than cold and wet though... *grin*

The munchkins don't care - they have somewhere warm and dry and big enough to play in - but Storm is a bit narked at the wet grass growing fast and tickling her boobies when she goes out for a run and one-on-one play/cuddle session.

T.

Oh Puppies! cluck, cluck, cluck! gosh they are gorgeous and mummy looks fantastic :)

Goodness knows where these little ones would have ended up, and mum would probably had even more litters.

I am so happy bubs are safe and well, mum is doing better and will be vetworked before going home :)

AWL have a similar program and it works very well. Education and support goes a long way in some cases.