What Fruit And Veges Do Your Dogs Like

pirate

Because we all know dogs are foxes now. That's a new one.

certainly new to me I did not suggest they are dogs, but they're in the same family as wolves, coyotes and jackals.

the point I was trying to make is that I believe that dogs and foxes although primarily carnivorous, are opportunistic feeders, if they come across ripe blackberries they might eat them, if they come across windfall fruit, they might eat it and in the case of my own dogs they eat lots of leafy green plants they find on their daily walks.

What was I supposed to make of your post? You said plainly foxes eat fruit. Yet they are of a different species altogether. How was I to know what you were making of it?

I think we can all agree that dogs are opportunistic feeders; what was the need for foxes to come into the picture?

Since they are opportunistic feeders, there is no need to supplement with fruits and vegetables. Besides they do not have the ability to digest most of it anyway. As I said, some dogs will eat anything. Doesn't mean we have to include rotting carcasses and soiled baby diapers in their diet.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

certainly new to me I did not suggest they are dogs, but they're in the same family as wolves, coyotes and jackals.

the point I was trying to make is that I believe that dogs and foxes although primarily carnivorous, are opportunistic feeders, if they come across ripe blackberries they might eat them, if they come across windfall fruit, they might eat it and in the case of my own dogs they eat lots of leafy green plants they find on their daily walks.

What was I supposed to make of your post? You said plainly foxes eat fruit. Yet they are of a different species altogether. How was I to know what you were making of it?

I think we can all agree that dogs are opportunistic feeders; what was the need for foxes to come into the picture?

Since they are opportunistic feeders, there is no need to supplement with fruits and vegetables. Besides they do not have the ability to digest most of it anyway. As I said, some dogs will eat anything. Doesn't mean we have to include rotting carcasses and soiled baby diapers in their diet.

settle petal.

From Wikipedia . . . reference: Heptner, V. G.; Naumov, N. P. (1998). Mammals of the Soviet Union Vol.II Part 1a, SIRENIA AND CARNIVORA (Sea cows; Wolves and Bears). Science Publishers, Inc. USA..

"Wolves will supplement their diet with fruit and vegetable matter; they willingly eat the berries of mountain ash, lily of the valley, bilberries, blueberries and cowberry. Other fruits include nightshade, apples and pears. They readily visit melon fields during the summer months."

Seems likely they would be happy munching on grapes, bananas or carrots if they were available.

My girls only get fed out of their bowls or training treats yet Crystal has a huge fasination with Bananas??? She had never tasted any but would still sit and stare through us while we ate them and try to grab the peel while it is being put in the compost bucket. So I gave her a bit in the guise of a training treat. YUMMO. Now if anyone is eating a banana she stands there "stacked" staring up hoping she'll get some. :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

Mine loves carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, mango, nectarine but two things she doesn't like are strawberries and tomatoes. She'll come up all excited that I have it and I give her one, she puts it in her mouth like "what the hell is this" walks away and puts it down, then comes back expecting it to taste different and want more!

These days I keep my dogs on a fairly strict/bland diet because Finn has a very sensitive tummy and tends to get the runs VERY easily if I feed him something different, so they don't really eat veggies (though they have a pre made raw diet at night that does include veggies).

Years ago though when Cal was much younger and before I knew grapes were not the best, I remember sitting on the couch reading a book eating a bunch of grapes. Cal kept coming up and asking for one and I'd absent mindedly feed him one and keep reading. This went on for a while, until finally I stopped reading, got up, and saw grapes scattered all over the living room floor :laugh: :laugh: He'd just been taking them away, putting them down somewhere, and coming back for more!!!

Mine loves carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, mango, nectarine but two things she doesn't like are strawberries and tomatoes. She'll come up all excited that I have it and I give her one, she puts it in her mouth like "what the hell is this" walks away and puts it down, then comes back expecting it to taste different and want more!

Gus ate a white Nectarine the other day LOVED IT!! lol new high value reward I'm pretty sure... after he finished he got up and searched the whole bedroom for more... then looks at me like mum I cant find any more :cry:

Gus ate a white Nectarine the other day LOVED IT!! lol new high value reward I'm pretty sure... after he finished he got up and searched the whole bedroom for more... then looks at me like mum I cant find any more :cry:

My Max loves white nectarine too, moreso than the yellow ones. I think there will be a lot of disappointed 4 legged people when winter comes and the yummy summer fruit disappears!

My guys all eat every fruit and vegie I eat, some with a little more gusto but it all gets eaten eventually.

I never thought it was weird, until I was feeding my girl pieces of rock melon at a recent flyball comp and noticed team mates staring at her weirdly :laugh: