Addisons Disease

schwarzbear

Am wondering if anybody has experience with this disease.

I posted about my puppies having an adverse reaction to their vaccinations. We are struggling with the surviving boy who is now 16 weeks. He is at the vets at the moment and has been for the last week. The vet is at a loss as to what is wrong with him. He goes for a week fine no vomiting no diarrhea a perfectly normal puppy. The next week he is vomiting and has diarrhea. This is what has happened now at the vets everything fine until Monday and he vomited, today he has diarrhea.

A friend suggested Addisons so have mentioned to my vet and he is going to test him. His comment though is he has never seen it in a pup so young. Has anybody had this problem in a pup?

I don't know, though I have heard of a possible link between polyvalent vaccines and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) that may be worth investigating

Given that the vaccine can afect the immune system it is always possible.

My suggestion would be to contact Dr Jean Dodds, one of the foremost authorities on vaccinosis and vaccine reactions.

You can contact her here: http://www.hemopet.org/contact.html

Edited by espinay2

If the dog is pedigree, you might want to talk with the breeder. Addisons is believed to be hereditary. Univ of California, Davis, is currently studying it in bearded collie, great dane, leonberger, standard poodle, Portuguese water dog and West Highland white terrier . . . I think most breeds can get be affected. There's a good chance that a genetic test for it will be available . . . here's a short description of UC Davis work on Addisons (they're also studying Epilepsy).

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=TUFTSBG2005&PID=10627&O=Generic

Complex segregation analyses confirm the genetic component and suggest that the best fit mode of inheritance is autosomal recessive with modifying genes. In other words, Addison's appears to be polygenic but with a major controlling gene. The lesser genes likely regulate the age of onset and the progression of the disorder. Of note, is that there is no sex affect in any of the breeds reflecting an equal number of males and females diagnosed with Addison's disease.

I don't know, though I have heard of a possible link between polyvalent vaccines and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) that may be worth investigating

Given that the vaccine can afect the immune system it is always possible.

My suggestion would be to contact Dr Jean Dodds, one of the foremost authorities on vaccinosis and vaccine reactions.

You can contact her here: http://www.hemopet.org/contact.html

Thank you so much for the link to Dr. Jean Dodds. I sent her an email last night and she responded this morning with several suggestions which I have passed onto my vet so keeping my fingers crossed it will help in finding a solution.

By the way she was stunned that we vaccinated so early her recommendation for the first vaccination is 8.5 weeks