Dept Of Primary Industries New Laws

redangel

Its been in a couple of months and I'm told it will start being policed in February. Im assuming dogz will follow suit about now for Victorian breeders but there isnt any laws which say the newspapers or websites etc are obligated to make sure the Victorian members comply and its pretty easy to simply put another postcode in when you are advertising on the net anyway. Many breeders list their addresses now as a different place to stop loonies finding them.

Dont you just love the fact that if you are a large commercial kennel with a "number" you can just use your number but if you are a member of an applicable org you cant use your member number?

Even though its the law to chip all animals you don't have to put the chip number in the add if you are giving the dog away. Advertise on free to good home and when they ring its gone but you have another rofl1.gif The onus is on the buyer to change over the chip details - Good luck with that.rofl1.gif

If you make an error and the chip number in the add isn't the same as the chip when they buy it - straight to reporting you. If you advertise without the chip number and you live in Victoria you get pinged $600 but it also breaches mandatory codes so you have a bigger problem than that too. Quote. The legislation has been amended to give councils and RSPCA inspectors the ability to apply for court orders to seize animals from non compliant and unregistered breeding premises.

But you can advertise a future litter rofl1.gif Id say that gets everyone off the hook anyway. Advertise a future litter and when they ring you have one on the ground but you didn't advertise and there isn't anything stopping you advertising your kennel - puppies sometimes available etc anyway.

There are about a dozen ways of getting around it and how on earth will they police it? Why on earth wouldn't everyone just sell their puppies to dealers and pet shops - take the money and not have the crap. So much for new laws stopping large scale commercial breeding - all it did was legitimise them and create a higher demand for their puppies whilst making it more attractive to sell to pet shops. All they had to do was police the old chip laws and they had all they needed anyway.

Groan.

FREE TO GOOD HOME

"VICTORIA"

Not in a good State. Needs a LOT of work to fix up all the knots and matts caused by bad grooming.

Who wants it?

Is it toilet and leash trained?

No, leaves messes everywhere! :(

Groan.

FREE TO GOOD HOME

"VICTORIA"

Not in a good State. Needs a LOT of work to fix up all the knots and matts caused by bad grooming.

Who wants it?

Is it toilet and leash trained?

No, leaves messes everywhere! :(

And its been taught to do what it wants to do whenever it wants to do it and doesn't listen to you.

While I am supportive of all people advertising dogs for sale to be microchipped (I mean why was it only the registered breeders who had to comply and not the BYB and DD Puppy Farms in the past?) what does broadcasting a microchop number achieve? I guess it ensures BYB will have their puppies and kittens microchipped but some Registered breeders put "Litter Notices" in DOL as soon as puppies are born, and sometimes even prior to impending birth, there will not be a microchip number to quote for at least 6 weeks possibly longer? :confused:

E.T.A. Oh I see from Steves post...you can advertise a "future litter". Not something I will do a second time. You get a lot of calls from people who want to put their names down and then buy a puppy from a pet shop or get a new lounge suite. :laugh:

So if we see an add in our local paper, website such as 'Gumtree' or on a community board, not quoting a microchip number do we "report it" to the appropriate authorities? Why do those that know the law have to Police it?

Edited by LizT

Since this only applies to animals available for sale and my puppies aren't available for sale until they are 8 weeks old, i should be able to advertise a litter younger than 8 weeks old without microchip numbers - as they fall under the "future availability" rule.

Until the animal is available for the purchaser to pay money for and take home with them, they should not require a microchip number to be made available.

Or else, get a letter from my vet saying they are too young to be microchipped until they 6-8 weeks old. This should cover you as well.

Since this only applies to animals available for sale and my puppies aren't available for sale until they are 8 weeks old, i should be able to advertise a litter younger than 8 weeks old without microchip numbers - as they fall under the "future availability" rule.

Until the animal is available for the purchaser to pay money for and take home with them, they should not require a microchip number to be made available.

Or else, get a letter from my vet saying they are too young to be microchipped until they 6-8 weeks old. This should cover you as well.

I think that could be splitting hairs. :confused:

So if one has say a litter of 8 puppies to sell they'd need to quote each individual micro chip number in the one add? I imagine the newspapers are going to love this as you usually need to pay per word and a number is included as a word...so that's 8 extra words you'd need to pay for. Would also be very annoying to read an add with all the numbers cluttering up the add. I'd also hate to be the person who has to take an add over the phone, too easy to get a number wrong...phone numbers are bad enough.

So if one has say a litter of 8 puppies to sell they'd need to quote each individual micro chip number in the one add? I imagine the newspapers are going to love this as you usually need to pay per word and a number is included as a word...so that's 8 extra words you'd need to pay for. Would also be very annoying to read an add with all the numbers cluttering up the add. I'd also hate to be the person who has to take an add over the phone, too easy to get a number wrong...phone numbers are bad enough.

Good point teela.