My Neapolitan Mastiff Bit Me (a Serious Bite)

cybergenesis

Brooke and everyone else saying DOL can be hard on newbies, I totally agree with you and don't think it's helpful, if people see us as a bunch of judgmental snobs they won't hang around to learn all the positive stuff from DOL.

However cybergenisis (the OP) is not a newbie, he's been a member fo over a year, has posted in other topics and has been really quite rude to other members (see quotes in earlier posts in the thread). He also said early on in his thread that he wasn't really after advice, just some sympathy. As others have said, my sympathy is for the dogs.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I'm going to say is, if I thought my dog was going to be killed by another, I would try my best to get it off. In fact, I have done it before to a dog which almost killed a little cav cross I was looking after, I whacked it hard with a stick, but luckily my other dog attacked the 'killer dog' which got it off. When these situations come up you don't just think 'Hmm, maybe I should grab it by the back legs to drag it off'. Yes, that is what is meant to be done, but when the other dogs life it at risk it is very stressful and you don't stop to think.

I am not saying I support or oppose what happened, just adding a bit of food for thought :D

Oh for crying out loud... I was just saying that there is a difference between a "newbie" who hasn't posted here before and asks for advice and someone who has been around the forum and starts a topic like this one. It doesn't take too long to realise that if you decide to start a topic or post a response you might get critical responses. Up to you how you deal with them.

Oh for crying out loud... I was just saying that there is a difference between a "newbie" who hasn't posted here before and asks for advice and someone who has been around the forum and starts a topic like this one. It doesn't take too long to realise that if you decide to start a topic or post a response you might get critical responses. Up to you how you deal with them.

:clap: Totally agree. Poor dogs.

Lynn

What a load of total claptrap.

The OP's anger management has been brought up and heavily criticised throughout this thread. Frankly, the way he dealt with his anger/frustration was helluva lot better than other examples I have witnessed on DOL. Many self development/psychological courses suggest that you bash a pillow with a softball bat, have a boxing bout with whatever those big hanging poles that boxing studios have and release anger and frustrations this way.

I am simply over-awed at all the calm, collected and totally rational people who have offered advice in this thread and in such calm, collected and totally rational ways. No hint of abuse, no hint of censure, no hint of anger.

You are all to be congratulated.

Slightly off topic here but..

I think any decent therapist would actually recommend against venting aggressive feelings in the ways you've described as it does nothing to train impulse control and only feeds aggression through rewarding it and externalising it.

Part of being an adult is learning to deal with those sorts of emotions internally, rather than chucking a pillow-bashing tantrum like a small child.

Sorry, but I'm not going to give you any sympathy. You want a right royal kick in the arse. You knew these two did not get along and yet you continued to leave them in the same space. Ever heard of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted? That is exactly what you have done.

And men and their "oh shit...something happened and I was wrong and it's out of my control so I'll go around, yelling and swearing and punching things 'cos I'm a bloke. It scares small children, it scares animals, :scared: it f'en scares everyone. Oh but it did make you feel better didn't it so it's okay to do that? I've lived with blokes who punch holes in doors because guess what...shit happens, so it's a good reason to go off. :mad

Who needs the behavourist anyway man or beast?

I'm not one to let fly usually but this time my blood is boiling. You created a most stupid scenario and all because you were running late for court, let me guess, for doing something else completely stupid. :scold: (My apologies if you were the magistrate or the barrister. ) :rolleyes:

Arrrrggghhh...men. :flame:

It's okay I think I just spontaneously combusted. :o

Another reason I have nearly stopped breeding pupppies, further proof people are stupid. First the breeder has sold an entire male to a person already with an entire male (I know breeders who have done this). And what is with the owner flying off the handle and punching and kicking things? Glad he is not my boyfriend/husband he is just not able to handle stress. And why leave them together after the first fight???

I had a discussion recently with a person who is running together 5 dogs, male and female of a dominant breed. I told him without a doubt that when the 3 younger ones get a bit older something will trigger a fight. It may be a bone, a bitch coming into season or simply rushing for a pat first. His response was that it will not happen. Does he think my 30 years experience in the breed count for nothing? I have seen dog fights, and have tried to seperate fighting dogs. An experience I never want to repeat. Never do I put males older than 4 or 5 months of age together, or even where they can get to each other through the wire/fence etc. OMG now I am ranting!

Ok I think some peoples responses here are a little emotive, but I have also received some pretty good advice here too.

Initially the fights were occasionally, once I realized it was totally out of control- the dogs were separated. Each time they thought they received medical attention. Obviously I had hoped to be able to stop the fighting, but this did not work out.

In regards to getting rid of the Labrador, this has nothing to do with my love for either dog. I love the Labrador more, as I have owned him more, but I have also formed a bond with Neapolitan, and love him too. Besides the bad stuff you have heard about the Neo, he is otherwise a FANTASTIC, placid dog. He has NEVER been out of control EXCEPT immediately around the time of fighting with the other dog.

My decision to get rid of the Labrador is not final, indeed I am now leaning towards keeping both dogs, but enhancing my property so that I can be absolutely certain no "accidents" will occur (the dogs getting at each other).

The reason I chose the Labrador was based on dispassionate logic. The Labrador is mostly a family type dog (besides its tendency to food guard). I think it is easier to place a Labrador with a loving family than find the right sort of assertive owner for a Neapolitan, as because people may have the wrong motive for getting such a dog. Also the Labrador is TOTALLY non-aggressive to humans, except when food guarding and he doesn't like people touching his injuries.

I would never give away the Labrador unless I was CERTAIN he was going to a great home, in such circumstances I don't have a major problem giving up the dog, though of course I would miss him.

But as I said, I'm not leaning that way at the moment. I'll talk to Mark before deciding.

One last thing for the Lab lovers, the Lab is treated BETTER than the Neo. I allow the Lab inside and he is inside most of the time, whereas the Neo stays outside the majority of the time.

I treat my dogs very well, how many of you feed your dogs a diet based mostly on human grade meat?

Edit: I also wanted to add why Neo's are my favorite type of dog. Believe it or not my 2nd favorite type of dogs are Labradors.

Neo's are large. I am a very large man myself (125kg), I just like large dogs- I think they suit me.

Neo's are generally quite lazy and placid and require minimal exercise. Indeed they like nothing more than sitting around near their owner lazing and have low energy levels. I am quite lazy myself (except when it comes to caring for my dogs), and these attributes are very appealing to me. I am a slow paced sort of person.

Neo's don't bark very much: Dogs that bark excessively really get on my nerves. Indeed my Labrador barks a lot more than my Neo.

I know the look is not for everyone, but I absolutely love the look of the Neo's- to me they are the most beautiful of all dogs, yes I know many other people prefer other dogs, but this is my preference.

I love the unique way they walk.

I love their long, wrinkled skin.

I love the grunting and other funny noises that they make. I even love the fact my Neo snores loudly.

I like the strong, assertive temperaments of the Neo.

Also as a secondary consideration to getting a companion, I personally want a dog that is able to protect me if it is absolutely necessary. I absolutely believe if somebody attacked me aggressively my Neo would intervene, yet he is very placid around people in normal circumstances, as I make an effort to extensively socialize him with people. Many people pat him on my walks with him, and he is totally friendly. Indeed almost every walk somebody pats him. The other part of him protecting me is that he is a great deterrence, I doubt almost anybody would think of hurting me when that dog is around, he looks very powerful. You might say this is a stupid reason, but I have been a victim of a violent crime, and I live in probably the highest crime neighborhoods in my state, as well as one of the most socioeconomically disadvantaged. My Neo makes me feel very secure, but I certainly NEVER encourage aggression in my Neo, he has natural guarding instincts that do not need fueling.

Why am I not surprised you live in this type of area and have this type of dog?

Sorry, but I'm not going to give you any sympathy. You want a right royal kick in the arse. You knew these two did not get along and yet you continued to leave them in the same space. Ever heard of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted? That is exactly what you have done.

And men and their "oh shit...something happened and I was wrong and it's out of my control so I'll go around, yelling and swearing and punching things 'cos I'm a bloke. It scares small children, it scares animals, :scared: it f'en scares everyone. Oh but it did make you feel better didn't it so it's okay to do that? I've lived with blokes who punch holes in doors because guess what...shit happens, so it's a good reason to go off. :mad

Who needs the behavourist anyway man or beast?

I'm not one to let fly usually but this time my blood is boiling. You created a most stupid scenario and all because you were running late for court, let me guess, for doing something else completely stupid. :scold: (My apologies if you were the magistrate or the barrister. ) :rolleyes:

Arrrrggghhh...men. :flame:

It's okay I think I just spontaneously combusted. :o

Another reason I have nearly stopped breeding pupppies, further proof people are stupid. First the breeder has sold an entire male to a person already with an entire male (I know breeders who have done this). And what is with the owner flying off the handle and punching and kicking things? Glad he is not my boyfriend/husband he is just not able to handle stress. And why leave them together after the first fight???

I had a discussion recently with a person who is running together 5 dogs, male and female of a dominant breed. I told him without a doubt that when the 3 younger ones get a bit older something will trigger a fight. It may be a bone, a bitch coming into season or simply rushing for a pat first. His response was that it will not happen. Does he think my 30 years experience in the breed count for nothing? I have seen dog fights, and have tried to seperate fighting dogs. An experience I never want to repeat. Never do I put males older than 4 or 5 months of age together, or even where they can get to each other through the wire/fence etc. OMG now I am ranting!

I know what you mean by a fight breaking out over rushing to be patted.

I often baby sit my friends Greyhound ( up to 10 days attimes) and he gets along well with my German Shepherd and they sleep side by side and never had a problem. The Greyhound is a laid back type of dog and is quite indifferent to people. Will speak when spoken to but doesn't go out of his way to make a fuss of you.

My daughters ex boyfriends dog however proved a different story. The Staffy X Mastiff got on well with the GSD and came over for many long visits and overnight stays. All seemed fine and he had been over a number of times when one day my son opened the back door and the staffy rushed with great enthusiasm to greet him and the GSD pounced on him and it was on! They were separated and the staffy was due to be desexed (he was 9 to 12 months old then) and a month after the surgery came for another visit and all seemed well for hours until I opened the back door and the Staffy X rushed at me. The GSD was on top of him again.

I sadly told my daughters then boyfriend that his dog could not go into the back yard with our GSD any more for it's own safety. :( It just seemed to be jealousy and it may have had something to do with our Cavalier bitches being behind the door we came out of. Our GSD is very gentle and protective of them. :)