Does Anyone Have Links To Articles

Hoping it is ok to post this here as I am sure readers of this section are the most likely to know... :)

I am looking for resources with regard to introducing an adult dog into a new home. Something with suggestions or tips and tricks to help the dog bond with its new owners and settle into a new and different environment.

Either links to online articles or email me at [email protected]

My advice comes from a behaviouralist origianlly - let the dog just settle for the first two weeks - don't bombard the dog with affection, new experiences (lots of outings etc) or lots of new people (everyone coming over to have a look).

It's like us starting a new job - a simple routine is best at first - one walk a day unless it's a youngster who needs more, sticking to the local area and then if the dog should escape they will hopefully know the way home. Keep to certain times for meals etc. Make sure no doors/gates etc are left open but that's a golden rule anyway. No off leash exercise as you don't know the dog well enough - it's about 2 months for a dog to bond with you as it's new owner.

Do you need to housetrain the dog?

I'd also recommend Googling "settling your new dog in" - there's lots of advice that will pop up.

Sorry, can't link cos I am on iPhone, but if you go to www.bestfriends.org and download the resource toolkit at the bottom of the page it has heaps of great tips on anything doggy including settling in a new dog.

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/product/love-has-no-age-limit

Patricia McConnell - Love has no age limit

So here you are, right next to a new dog who just entered the house, and whose life history you know little or nothing about. Now what? How do you welcome an adult or adolescent dog into your home and incorporate this new individual into your family? This booklet is designed to help you ease the transition from "new dog" to "family member" by guiding you through the first steps of this new relationship.

Love Has No Age Limit includes information on what to do as you enter the house, how to handle the first few days, what to do and what not to do as you get to know each other, and tips on everything from the car ride home to the first vet visit. It includes advice on training and a section on solving common behavioral problems to helps prevent the most frequent dilemmas that people encounter when adopting a new dog.

A single copy is only ten bucks, but there's a substantial discount for rescue groups who buy more.