Dogs And Goats Believed Slaughtered.

Steve

This is Vic's more shady establishments ... not the place Animal Lib can go and raid

Gee, that is a shame.

I can think of a few people who would have given them a lift to the front gate - they might have had to find their own way home though.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the age:

AN ANIMAL rights advocate courageously intervened last night to save a dog caged in squalor in Melbourne's west, after authorities failed to seize more than 20 dogs from a man whose property was raided on reports that he was slaughtering them for human consumption.

Debra Tranter, the founder of Oscar's Law campaign against puppy farms, last night drove to the Rockbank property and managed to wrangle one of the dogs from the owner, Peter Avraam, who has been charged with offences relating to handling stolen goods and drugs.

The female dog had been kept in a cage so small she could hardly stand, had a wound on her back and was so starved her spine and ribcage showed clearly through her skin.

Advertisement

Twenty-three dogs remain at the Leakes Road property, according to RSPCA reports, because even after authorities seized allegedly stolen goods, shotguns, drugs and animal meat on Wednesday, they left most of the animals. No dog meat was found on the premises in the raid.

''[The dogs] were licking my fingers through the wire,'' Ms Tranter said. ''It is the most evil place I have ever been.''

The state government passed laws last year which strengthened the penalties against animal abuse. But Ms Tranter said she had pleaded since March to police, Melton Shire Council, and the RSPCA to investigate, and it was only late last year she found a policewoman who would investigate.

Authorities have confirmed that they received reports from multiple and reliable sources that dogs were being illegally slaughtered for meat.

One witness told police they had seen a dog butchered and a blowtorch used to remove its hair before its carcass was hung on a hook.

The witness said dogs were found through ''free to good home'' advertisements. The RSPCA was told of the allegations last year, but left 24 dogs in Avraam's custody, with about 10 sheep and 100 goats.

Two restricted-breed pit bulls were seized by the council.

Ms Tranter said she spent yesterday asking the RSPCA to rescue the dogs but to no avail. A source close to the investigation said the number of agencies involved and difficulties in determining the jurisdiction of the allegations had delayed the raids.

RSPCA senior inspector Daniel Bode confirmed they had received complaints over the past year ''that we have attended to each time and we have investigated. We have worked with the owner on small little issues but nothing that warrants any offences under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act.''

He said after this week's raids, which were attended at the request of police, the RSPCA had issued a directive asking Avraam to improve the dogs' housing conditions and provide clean water.

He said the RSPCA was investigating whether charges would now be laid and it was ''possible'' the animals would be seized if Avraam did not comply. ''We are now working with the owner to ensure animal welfare is made number one priority.''

A senior investigator at the Department of Sustainability and Environment, Samantha Moore, said Avraam had no wildlife licence.

All wildlife on the property, including 45 exotic animals, had been seized except for one emu. ''We haven't actually seized it yet given that they are not easy to catch,'' she said.

More charges are expected to be laid over acquisition of wildlife and unregistered dogs.

The chief executive of the state government authority responsible for meat safety, PrimeSafe, Brian Casey, said they found no evidence of dogs being killed on the property.

Avraam, 41, of Rockbank, was bailed after being charged with cultivation of cannabis, handling of stolen goods and ammunition offences. He is understood to have told police he was an animal lover.

Guest lavendergirl

Yes I agree...but these are members of our community now....are we to have one rule for them and one for us? As Steve said it will be interesting to see how this particualar event goes.

Yes, members of our community now.

And they will find no shortage of different types of meat to eat in this community; meat that has been legally butchered in proper conditions and to proper standards.

What happens in their country of origin STAYS in their country of origin - when it comes to eating dogs.

Dogs are not an animal that are bred in this country as a source of nutrition for humans or other animals, and this needs to be clearly communicated to any newcomers.

I am all for enjoying the benefits of multiculturism - but not the barbarism, thank you.

Souff

My thoughts too. This is the most sickening article I have seen in a long time - I can't believe this is happening in Australia :mad

Gotta love how they've left the dogs in his "care" but his biggest "crime" so far is having two pitbulls which were seized.

Authorities can only work with the legislation that they have. If you don't have a lawful reason to seize a domestic animal, taking it is stealing. Tranter has come undone here before, and playing on peoples emotions doesn't make her actions lawful.

Gotta love how they've left the dogs in his "care" but his biggest "crime" so far is having two pitbulls which were seized.

Authorities can only work with the legislation that they have. If you don't have a lawful reason to seize a domestic animal, taking it is stealing. Tranter has come undone here before, and playing on peoples emotions doesn't make her actions lawful.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all... I just find the situation very frustrating in that BSL should be the least of everyones concern in this particular situation. I am also waiting on Facebook to hear how it was that Debra was able to "wrangle" the bitch in question.... :grimace:

Edited by Pheebs

Not sure how these things work but if the report is correct and the dog had a wound, underfed and in a cage where it couldn't stand up, wouldn't that be enough reason for the RSPCA to take the dog? Or at least make an order to get vet care, show evidence that adequate food is being provided?

Not based on the limted media information. Obviously if the cops, inspectors and rangers on site all decided that wasn't enough to justify seizure, then it wasn't. It doesn't matter how much the media beat it up, they weren't there, they don't know or work under the legislation, and all they want to do is sell papers or gain ratings.

Yes I agree...but these are members of our community now....are we to have one rule for them and one for us? As Steve said it will be interesting to see how this particualar event goes.

And they will find no shortage of different types of meat to eat in this community; meat that has been legally butchered in proper conditions and to proper standards.

What happens in their country of origin STAYS in their country of origin - when it comes to eating dogs.

Dogs are not an animal that are bred in this country as a source of nutrition for humans or other animals, and this needs to be clearly communicated to any newcomers.

I am all for enjoying the benefits of multiculturism - but not the barbarism, thank you.

Souff

My thoughts too. This is the most sickening article I have seen in a long time - I can't believe this is happening in Australia :mad

If you read later reports carefully, there was no evidencefound to confirm that any dog was slaughtered for meat on the property.

Another beautiful example of a reporter not letting the facts get in the way of a good story.

Edited by Telida Whippets

I'm not disagreeing with you at all... I just find the situation very frustrating in that BSL should be the least of everyones concern in this particular situation. I am also waiting on Facebook to hear how it was that Debra was able to "wrangle" the bitch in question.... :grimace:

It was the RSPCA team that negotiated the release of the dog and an update is Today, 3 February, the RSPCA welfare team negotiated the surrender of a further eight dogs from a property in Rockbank. This is an extremely positive welfare outcome for these animals. The RSPCA is continuing to work with the owner of this property regarding the remaining animals on the premises. As always, the welfare of all animals on the property remains our highest priority

:(

Souff

I TOTALLY AGREE with you.

Those poor,poor animals.

so if you have dogs with dirty or no water you get them left with you. If you have starving animals they get left with you - apart from one. If you have dogs housed in cramped condtions they get left with you.

If you dock a dogs tail (or are suspected of docking a dogs tail) the dog gets seized has a GA to confirm if the tail is infact docked or a natural bobg, after which you may just get fined. If you have a dog debarked and then - god forbid - show it, all of your dogs can get seized and it takes a large amount of cash and a legal battle to get them back........................................................

there is something very wrong going on in this country.

Personally I do not care what your customs are or what you did in your mother country. Butchering and eating dogs in this country should be illegal if it is not already. If they were butchering dogs, they and the apparent 100 people who were buying the dog meat should have the book thrown at them.

Personally I do not care what your customs are or what you did in your mother country. Butchering and eating dogs in this country should be illegal if it is not already. If they were butchering dogs, they and the apparent 100 people who were buying the dog meat should have the book thrown at them.

It's also wrong that people are tried in the media based on heresay, and that the media beat-up is used as a basis for slagging off different cultures and letting Trantor portray herself as a hero. If they had found any evidence of a meat market catering to the small minority of Asian taste that believes snake or dog or other exotic meat has some magical power (usually sexual), there would have been basis for bringing up the dog meat question. But even then, you have to allow for and respect the fact that the vast majority of the Asians in Australia are as horrified by animal cruelty as the Anglos. . As for 'reliable sources' . . . lynch mobs in the US South have acted on 'reliable sources' as well. No reporter identifies their source as 'someone with an axe to grind' even when this is clearly the case. I'm reminded of that stupid 'eating koala bear' thread where the koala turned out to be a bamboo rat.

To my eyes, the dog shown would be ~ 4 on the profile scale (where 5 is starved, 1 obese, and 3 just about right). That's probably better for health than lots of our overfed pooches. The cage looks ghastly, but we don't know that that dog was actually confined to it. Dirty water? You should see my dog water bowl after the dogs have been digging in the mud and come in for a drink. No one stated that the dogs did not have water.

Not one of the supposed dog meat customers was named . . . if they exist, at all, who is to say they aren't all good Aussies of convict descent?

There appears to have been a firm basis for trying these guys on drugs, weapons, stolen goods, and keeping wildlife and unregistered dogs. Why make a big deal about allegations that were not backed with evidence.

Edited by sandgrubber

You will see i said

If they were butchering dogs, they and the apparent 100 people who were buying the dog meat should have the book thrown at them.

If they haven't well so be it, but IFthey have I stand by what I said.

My dogs water can get dirty as well, but this is not the first time thay have been called to the property, there would be history there.

There appears to have been a firm basis for trying these guys on drugs, weapons, stolen goods, and keeping wildlife and unregistered dogs. Why make a big deal about allegations that were not backed with evidence.

dont be silly, sandgrubber. Where is the story if you leave out the bits about puppies.

Isnt it funny how the actual charges are not much more than an afterthought but the article's full focus is on dog meat. As far as I'm aware, eating dog is not actually illegal. As Steve said, only if you cut the tail off before killing it. Reads like a total beat up by a journo who is probably a blind follower of oscar's claptrap.

dont be silly, sandgrubber. Where is the story if you leave out the bits about puppies.

Isnt it funny how the actual charges are not much more than an afterthought but the article's full focus is on dog meat. As far as I'm aware, eating dog is not actually illegal. As Steve said, only if you cut the tail off before killing it. Reads like a total beat up by a journo who is probably a blind follower of oscar's claptrap.

Sure take out the puppies, but there are still other livestock involved.

Do you know the actual suburbs of Melton/Rockbank Raz? You want it, you name it...you'll find it in Melton/Rockbank.

Edited by Shazzapug

Not excusing any or all else these people might have been doing that could be held as inhumane, but I wonder if 'selling dog meat' has been misconstrued and mis-interpreted? I know of people who say they buy dogs' meat at a certain pet store. I know they mean "pet meat for their dogs".

Possible?

Not excusing any or all else these people might have been doing that could be held as inhumane, but I wonder if 'selling dog meat' has been misconstrued and mis-interpreted? I know of people who say they buy dogs' meat at a certain pet store. I know they mean "pet meat for their dogs".

Possible?

Not impossible, but not likely. Quoting from the original story

The raid was organised after police received a statement from a witness who said they saw a dog being butchered and a blowtorch used to remove its hair before the carcass was hung on a hook.

It was also alleged a man who lives on the large property sold dog meat to around 100 customers for between $100-350.

The witness said the dogs were found through public notices that advertised the animals as free to a good home.

[\quote]