Advice On Rehoming A 7yr Gsd

Tarka

Hi,

Ruby is our 7yr-old pure-bred GSD, who we love dearly. She's a particularly beautiful dog, with a friendly personality who loves people, and is in good health.

However my job has now opened-up the possibility of working out of Amsterdam for a few years, something I've always wanted to do, starting later this year. After much discussion we've decided we'd rather not put Ruby through the ordeal of flights and quarantine (the latter especially on the return trip), so we're considering whether we should re-home her, preferably to a family who could give her the attention she deserves.

I'd like to ask the DOL regulars how realistic finding a good home for a mid-life dog is? And does anyone have any tips for the best way to go about this?

Some additional info:

* Desexed

* Pedigree (sire is a show-champion)

* Location is NSW

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Tarka

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve,

What a shame, but I understand why your doing it. Have you tried contacting your dogs breeder? A lot of times they will take the dog back and keep them or at least put feelers out for people who would want an older dog.

Also try GSD rescue in your state. Its very realistic to get a home for a 7yr old dog, some people prefer an older dog, as they don't have to go through the puppy stage.

I hope you find that perfect home for your GSD.

Lynn

I'd like to ask the DOL regulars how realistic finding a good home for a mid-life dog is?

Very realistic :thumbsup: Especially seeing as she's a pure bred with a full history made available. I would make sure to put a price on her to wheedle out those just wanting a freebie. Do a premises inspection to ensure she doesn't bounce around and have a friend/rescue offer to be a back up if it doesn't work and you are already overseas. This way you will always know where she is and that she is safe.

Good luck, I've no doubt it was a tough decision but the right home will be out there for her :)

My sister moved to Holland and back again. The dog coped really well. Worth looking into because 7 isnt exactly old.

Agree, 7 is hardly ancient.

Personally I couldn't even comprehend rehoming one of my dogs, I either wouldn't take the job or I'd take her with me. People do it all the time.

It's great that your are thinking of her needs, and how she will respond. Most places in Europe seem more pet friendly than here,it could be a great experience for her. Even if you think you may not want to expose her to the flight home to Aus, you could have her with you for a few more years while you work, and make the big decision about rehoming later, you may think differently later. Is there a chance you could be over there for a longer period?

If your dog has a nice temperament and good health, and you give yourself enough time, I think you'd have a good chance of finding a good home.

I don't think quarantine on return is much of an issue for any dog you'd think would cope with being boarded for a month in other circumstances, such as an overseas holiday, but it's your decision.

I'd suggest contacting the breeder and breed club, as they may have contacts for people wanting a more mature dog. As she is purebred you or the breeder may be able to list her on the mature dogs available section of the main DOL site too, but I am not sure of the rules on that.

Edited by Diva

Going over is easy coming back is the issue ,if these people stay there for 4 years the dog will be 11 years & have to do quarantine(30 days providing all tests are done correctly) ,some dogs may cope well but an aged dog is much harder .

Rehoming can be done ,i would look at working with a very good organization that can assist you if you defiantly head down this path & i would suggest sooner rather than latter .

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I agree, 7 isn't that old for a well-cared-for GSD; I'd estimate that she'd got another 7-8 years of life in her. Most people think she's an adolescent when they meet her. The reason I mention the age is context just to see how difficult it is to rehome a dog of that age.

The main reason for not wanting to bring her with us is that I've met several people who've taken their pets too-and-from Europe and the US who have said that they'd never do it again. One person brought his staffy from the UK to Australia, but rehomed him here rather than put him through the return flight. We honestly believe that if we can find a good family for her she will be much better off than being dragged with us.

In my opinion, a dog like a GSD will cope with three months in quarantine better than it will cope with losing it's owner of seven years.

Is going to Amsterdam what you wanted to do when you bought this dog? Your post doesn't make much sense. If working overseas is something you always wanted to do, it would have been easier for you if you had done it before committing to a dog. Taking a dog to live in Europe isn't too difficult, but it will cost you more money than going alone.

This is the information you need to bring a dog into Australia. You might want to read it before getting rid of the dog.

AQIS

Only you as her owner know her well enough to know if she will cope with rehoming or flights/quarrentine.

Some dogs are so bonded with their owners that rehoming is not a good idea.

If you do decide to rehome ... do it sooner rather then later so you are still here for a while incase it doesn't work out.

It is possible that your dog may only need to do 30 days quaratine on return if rules are as they are now (basically a 4 week kennel stay) - though it can vary depending on paperwork and testing etc before you bring her back. This is about average for many Cat 4 countries though.

Being crate trained can help a dog cope with the flights.

Cost may be a consideration too - it is not cheap and realistically, many simply can't afford it.

As mentioned though, only you know your dog and what is best for it - rehoming now, or taking her and deciding once over there when/if you come to return to Aus if she is still with you at that point in time (rehome overseas, bring her back to Aus, or even euthanase depending on her health and your assessment of her ability to be rehomed and/or handle the journey back - this last is not an option anyone would want to consider, but it is still always going to be an option)

I will say though - having a dog in Europe might be fun if that ends up being your decision. You can take them so many places! I loved it when in France that we could take the dogs in restaurants, could take them to tourist attractions and have them in hotels. So much easier than it is here!

I do agre though that if you decide rehoming now is the best option, do it sooner rather than later. It is not a good thing to be trying to do at last minute and doing it early will mean you can monitor the new home for a while.

Edited by espinay2