Advice On Rehoming A 7yr Gsd

Tarka

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister moved to Holland and back again. The dog coped really well. Worth looking into because 7 isnt exactly old.

Agree, 7 is hardly ancient.

Personally I couldn't even comprehend rehoming one of my dogs, I either wouldn't take the job or I'd take her with me. People do it all the time.

Same and I agree it's worth looking into re; taking her with you. 7 is not too old for her to travel. She'd probably love it! :)

I just couldn't conceive of leaving my two behind - after seven years of emotional input. But I guess we all have different priorities.

Totally agree. Though people's attachment levels to their dogs would vary from person to person.

I have refused a promotion (an executive level promotion) because it required me to move overseas which would have required a very long quarantine process if I wanted to bring my dogs back home. I have never regretted that decision.

First point of call - the dog's breeder. They may be able to help.

Second point of call - the State GSD club. Most have some kind of rescue/rehoming contacts.

A 7 year old GSD with a known history, some manners and desexed shouldn't be hard to find a good new home for.

As for all those saying "I'd never rehome my dog".. no one's asking you to!!

This dog is not being dumped and clearly the owner has not come to this decision lightly. Perhaps some assistance and less judging might be the way to go.

Edited by Telida Whippets

A work colleague just took her 2 seven year old small nervous rescue dogs over to the UK when her husband moved for work. I mention the nervousness because I thought they would be stressed out by the journey but apparently they came out of the crate as if it were no problem at all and are loving chasing squirrels (without sucess) in Primrose Hill. They even flew over on the A380!

But each to their own. It does pay also to check out any breed restrictions in place in any country you are planning to move to because some European countries (not the Netherlands that I know of though) restrict quite a few breeds, Germany and France spring to mind with restrictions on bull breeds for example. Not sure about shepherds but Ireland has a vast list of restricted breeds too.

I don't think anyone is flaming the OP, more just offering up options of how it could be done if they want to think more about taking the dog with them. Not everyone has all the information about moving with dogs and how easy or otherwise it can be so it is worth putting the information out there. The OP has spoken to some people who regretted taking their dog OS but what happens if the OP gets overseas and learns that it's not as difficult as first thought and subsequently regrets rehoming their dog? There are also plenty of success stories of people taking their dogs with them so in case it is just a matter of not fully understanding the process then why not confirm if they are really sure about it?

Either way there have been plenty of rehoming resources suggested also so it sounds like the OP has all the info to make a decision based on what they know of their situation and based on their knowledge of the dog as well (who looks like a lovely dog BTW) :)

As a breed rescue group I would have no hesitation about taking on this dog. Pity it's not white. Unfortunately the GSD clubs are notorious for not helping their breed. We rehomed a pair 6 yo last year. Separated them both are doing well. Had an email from the girls new owner yesterday. I surrendering owner was devastated to part with them , marriage breakdown. In fact that has been the main factor in most of our surrenders.

We aim to help the people keep their dog in some cases.

This is life. Shit happens.

What I can never understand is that so many people will jump on this op for their decision, but not a word is said about the breeders who sterilise and rehome ex breeding bitches. Or dogs that have done their dash in the show ring.

THAT is apparantly just fine.

I can't see how it can be justified for one but not the other???

I disagree,

What I can never understand is that so many people will jump on this op for their decision, but not a word is said about the breeders who sterilise and rehome ex breeding bitches. Or dogs that have done their dash in the show ring.

I'm with you there !!! Most of our dogs have been ex breeding bitches or dogs not up to par for the show ring - given up to us without a backward glance (in fact most didn't even want a follow up email letting them know how their dog was going with us).

I disagree,

Seems to me that most of those asking for the 'justification' of the OP's decison would probably not agree with breeder's rehoming.

On the breeder's side, how can a person with a keepers license for only a certain number of dogs, manage to retain all the dogs that are no longer part of a breeding program or not good enough to breed from?? How quick people are to condemn anyone who manages their dogs in any way different the person judging. Breeding dogs takes hard work and an emotional toll. Rehoming decisions are not made lightly by the breeders I know and they do give a damn about the dogs they rehome.

It's not like every rescue out there wants follow ups from their rehomings now is it, especially if they're not going well. ;)

A bit less judging and a bit more tolerance for the fact that people sometimes have to make tough decisions about dogs would be a good thing, provided that rehoming is done responsibly.

Or is this another, "every purebred dog rehomed condemns a crossbred pound dog to death" argument.?

I disagree,

Seems to me that most of those asking for the 'justification' of the OP's decison would probably not agree with breeder's rehoming.

I don't think so. Many people understand that a breeder can only run on a certain number of kennel dogs, and if not up to breeding it is better that the dog is rehomed as a pet. The decision is often made before the breeding is done.

That is different from a person taking a pet into their home. How many breeders would be happy to sell a pet dog (of any age) to a family that was unprepared to keep it long term? What if that puppy buyer told the breeder that they had always wanted to work overseas and as soon as they were offered an opportunity to do so they would no longer be wanting the dog?

The OP here is claiming that it is something they have always wanted to do. So why did they buy a dog? This is not comparable at all with breeders that have to rehome unsuitable dogs in order to improve the breed as a whole.

I want to move as well but where I am going I can only have 2 dogs there is no way I am rehoming my 10 yo 8yo or 3 yo just so I can move, I will just have to wait until there are only 2.

That poor girl will be bewildered wondering where her family is, GSD'S are just too smart.

Edited by KOE

My parents adopted an elderly GSD bitch from the pound years ago. She was at least 8, possibly older. While Cindy did settle in quickly she also looked for her old family for at least 6 months or so. Every time someone came to the door she looked to see if it was them, you could tell by the look in her eye. But as time went on she accpeted her new family totally and was fully my parents dog within 12 months. So they can and do adapt. And there is a big difference between always wanted to work overseas to having it actually happen. Lots of people want to do things that never happen. In this case it has happened.

A well adjusted dog will fit in with a new family. We should all try to raise our dogs like this because we never know what might happen in life. We'd all like to think that we're the best owners for our dogs, but there are other good dog owners out there who could care for this dog too.

I think it costs about $10k to move a dog o/s, so this would rule out a move for many people.

The OP isn't dumping her dog, she is asking about the rehoming potential of her dog. She obviously loves him and that is why she is following it up.

As someone has already pointed out, no one is asking other DOLers to rehome their dogs to move o/s, so I don't see how the comments are even relevant?

Every time someone came to the door she looked to see if it was them,

Maybe she was just seeing who was at the door? I adopted a rescue mini schnauzer at 3 years old, she used to be a breeding bitch at a puppy farm. She ALWAYS goes to the door or gate when someone walks past, she certainly isn't looking for her previous owner.

Every time someone came to the door she looked to see if it was them,

Maybe she was just seeing who was at the door? I adopted a rescue mini schnauzer at 3 years old, she used to be a breeding bitch at a puppy farm. She ALWAYS goes to the door or gate when someone walks past, she certainly isn't looking for her previous owner.

no, there was a difference, there was a look in her eye, you had to see it. I also saw when she went to the door just to see who it was. She was in great shape when in the pound, her previous owners wouldn't pay to get her out, now that takes some understanding.