Tomorrow's The Big Day

Ooooohhhhh - tomorrow evening is our (Enya and my) first time in the obedience trial ring. Only Encouragement class, but I'm so nervous I feel sick :rainbowbridge:

I keep telling myself - breathe, smile, don't worry the judge is not out to get you... :rainbowbridge:

Keep your fingers crossed for us, I'm sure we will have a fun time regardless of how well she does (or doesn't) do :eek:

Cheers,

Trace

Dont be nervous, you will have a great time.

Just remember to play/talk to your dog in a happy voice between exercises. I think this helps to keep your nerves settled and helps your dog so they dont think you are acting totally weird.

Also when the judge says "are you ready" look at your dog and see that she /he is focused on you, if she/he isnt say no, dont be scared thats why they ask.

Have a great time

good luck

Good luck tomorrow night, Trace and Enya!

You'll be just fine. :rainbowbridge: You're right; the assessor is not out to get you. They're out to *encourage* you, and if they're any good they'll calm you right down.

Like Ashley said, go out there and have fun!

I always try to arrive early enough for Jack to have a good wander and a sniff, go to the toilet etc ... apparently lots of dogs wee on the starting post! :rainbowbridge: I guess they're nervous, too!

I won't bother telling you not to be nervous - I don't know how many times I was told that and it never worked! HOWEVER, do remember to breathe deeply, and when you're heeling in normal pace - try to walk normally - not formally - ok? That helps the dog a lot.

Good luck - you'll be fine!

Guest cloverfdch

Goodluck for tomorrow :eek:. I too will not tell you not to be nervous as it does not work :(, been there done that. Encouragement judges are generally very friendly and not so strict as the higher classes.

I am entering my BC boy in his first Flyball comp in a couple of weeks and have been losing sleep over it for the past few weeks lol, but i continue telling myself all is going to be fine :rainbowbridge:.

Once again good luck and have FUN :rainbowbridge:.

Hi Trace,

Good luck for tomorrow :rainbowbridge: ! I haven't been in an obediance trial in years but usde to be heavily involved with running them too. Try and relax as your vibes will rub off on Enya. You are allowed to give praise and pat your dog between exercises but no food is allowed to be given (unless things have changed). Arrive early as others have said (you need to check in first, etc). PM me the name of the judge if you know it, I may know them. As others have said, they are not out to get you.

REMEMBER TO BREATHE :rainbowbridge:

cheers,

Corine

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! Will let you know how it turns out :)

Have fun Trace & I am looking forward to reading all about it.

...just remember ..

<exercise>fun, fun, fun</exercise> *encouragement*

hehehe, from the one that hates dots & ampersands :o

Hi

You're not going to Albury are you? If so I'm stewarding but not sure which ring, good luck, your house isn't on the line so it don't really matter whatever happens:)

cheers

M-J

LOL. You see the dogs warming up outside the ring and thing what great dogs they are, if they do something wrong in the ring you start to say to yourself 'oh my god, we are going to fail for sure' :o

They say it is good to watch the dogs before so you know the judges routine but for me until I loose the nerves I think it is better not to LOL.

Well - what can I say? What a blast!!

To start with, let me assure you we failed spectacularly both days :rolleyes: So we can only get better!

Last night, got there and of course the first thing is vetting. Enya was not impressed. No way - not doing this vetting thing, you're planning on doing WHAT with that tissue??? ;)

Encouragement was on last, so we watched the Utility dogs do their thing (stayed away from the Novice and Open rings, helen :) ). Utility always leaves me in complete awe.

Finally we were up....

Failed heeling - totally lost the plot on automatic sits, I don't think she did a single sit without being told (several times), downs and stands were fine, figure eight wasn't bad considering, but overall she was dragging a lot.

Stand for examination was great - until I returned to her - at that point she turned around to follow me.

Stand stay was fine, I think she moved one foot, so I was very pleased with that.

Sit stay, no problem - big distraction when the Irish Setter on her right decided to bolt out of the ring (I could have cried for that dogs handler - that was my nightmare coming into the trial).

Down stay - longest 3 minutes of my life - also fine, another distraction ignored when the dog on her left decided to come over to the handlers (what, does Enya have BO or something??)

Totally exhausted, headed home to bed.

This morning, bright and early, encouragement is on first - and we are the first ones in the ring!

Vetting this morning was much better. M-J was wielding the tissue (Hi M-J! :() and must have had a way with the girls, or something :p

Got most of the automatic sits in heeling, missed some drops though - and was overall worse than last night (I think I was a little more nervous being first in as well).

Stand for examination - the judge seemed a little hesitant compared to last nights, and I think Enya wanted to make sure she was ok, so when the judge went behind her, Enya turned around to say hi :rolleyes: :laugh:

Stand stay - perfect, except as I returned that seemed to be the signal for Enya to sit down and have a lick at what people kept wanting to wipe with a tissue.

So all in all - Enya left her brain at home, I took my nerves with me, we failed both days - and as yesterdays judge said - the world didn't end ;)

Despite nerves and messing up, it was just so much fun to do, we both had a ball. We will be out there, continuing with our training and looking forward to the next opportunity!

Cheers,

Trace

That's the way, Trace and Enya! It sounds like you had a fantastic time. Who could blame Enya for wanting to know what the tissue thing was all about?!

Good luck with the continued training.

Jack and I will join in the list of proud failures in a week or two ... we've already been told that nobody passes Advanced the first time, and I know Jack will get too distracted to do the wonderful stays Enya managed. But, hey, it's all a learning curve for the handler and canine :rolleyes:

Guest cloverfdch

Atleast you have come through the experience positive (Some handlers i have seen have had a go at the dog after coming out of the ring :laugh: ). Now you will know what to work on aswell, well done.

My first time is Novice was complete an utter write off :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , it was not funny at the time but i can look back and laugh now.

Your soo funny i was sitting here cacking along :rolleyes:

I'm starting obedience trial's soon and looking at all that made me feel so much better that i'm not the only one out there thats just going to have fun and try to forget about being really competitive!

You made me feel so much better thankyou :rolleyes:

I'm pleased my story has relaxed you a bit bonnie :rolleyes:

I was so nervous (and I'm sure I will be next time), but you have to keep telling yourself that you're doing this because you love working with your dog, and that you can only do what you can and try to enjoy the experience.

The judges were both really nice too - particularly Mr E Howden, who we had on the Saturday - made a real effort to relax his encouragement handlers, and - well - encourage them :rolleyes: