Tomorrow's The Big Day

Hi Allerzeit,

I am glad you went away from your 1st trial with a positive outlook. I could never understand why people used to get upset with their dogs for fluffing their 1st attempts. Those people should remember it takes 2 to tango.

The judges were both really nice too - particularly Mr E Howden, who we had on the Saturday - made a real effort to relax his encouragement handlers, and - well - encourage themĀ 

This is what Encouragement is supposed to be all about. It's a bit like Baby Puppy in the show ring, no-one expects "Lassie the wonderdog". :rolleyes:

cheers,

Corine

Not sure how you register your dog as an associate, but you can do it - plenty of associates in obedience trials :rolleyes:

Get yourself joined up with the VCA, and at the same time ask them how to register your baby. Once you're a member you will start getting the journal once a month, which lists all the shows and trials. Simply find any close enough to you, and send in an entry :rolleyes:

Thanks! i think i'll have to call them :rolleyes: maybe we can meet one day and trial together!! hehe! my girl is 4 years old but i just want to still do trials we finished obedience and never went any further so we are polishing up on it and im just gona give it a go and see how we do!

hahahahaha! i can imagine! That's funny it made my day :rolleyes:

" Okay now ill put your pillow here and your little teddy u just nod off, just don't get up or riggle to get comfy and i will get u up in three minutes , nighty night"

:rolleyes:

Vetting this morning was much better.

Hi Trace

Glad you had a good week

end

No she knew i was feeling very sympathetic. :rolleyes:

From the little bit i saw out of the ring to what i saw in the ring you guys were a different handler and dog, how unusual...not :rolleyes: Methinks you should also try to get rid of your nerves (good luck) or train your dog while you are nervous. I used to go to the footy or something like that and train, as I hate people watching me I would became nervous cos I felt like an idiot, but I think it helped the dog understand even tho mum seems like she may fall to pieces at any given moment, it doesn't matter because nothing happens except a training session. Try to make it a really enjoyable session, plus it is good distraction training.

Just some thoughts.

cheers

M-J

A new experience acn be stressful hopfully next time u will wizz through it (no wizzing for the dog tho) we went to Southern saturday and sucked royally :rolleyes: My boy stiffens up sometimes from an old injury (which apparently does not stop him racing around in agility!!) and missed the majority of his auto sits when normally he aces them but hey at least he didnt bit the judge like one of the others!!

and he stayed up during the sit stays woo hoooo!!! although while the judge was talking and the assistant was collecting the leads for the sit stay he decided to lie down so i was not holding out much hope for the 60 seconds!!!

but we had a good time anyway every one down there was really nice :rolleyes: and the puppy got the meet heaps of new dogs to play with :laugh:

Hi! Sorry to hijack your thread, but i was at that trial too. I my female GSD Tiger in encouragment too. I got Tiger a year ago because she had a bit of a fear of men and the breeder was worried that she wouldnt pass breed survey. Anyway, she just LOVES obedience and this was our second encouragement trial. Last weekend we came very last at the GSDCV one in Melbourne and I was so down about it, the other dogs were just perfect.

So we had a ball on sat night and sun morning. It was great to see some other breeds too as we get a bit too GSD focussed. Enya looks like a sweetie. Tiger ended up doing well, with a 2nd on sat and then we won on sun :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . There was a few others from GSD club that did well too, but Tiger has a few years on some of the others, which makes me feel guilty in a way, because GSDs take so long to mature. The irish setter in the class was only 16 months old, my GSD Chili is the same age and I couldnt imagine her being so focussed for half that time. While Tiger hasnt trained in obedience for long, she has matured as a dog if you know what i mean.

I thought the man judge was nice too, though I wasnt sure how Tiger would go in the stand free, he seemed to really stand over them for that.

BTW In case you didn't notice I thought Enya was a real sweetie.

I think you know the feeling was mutual M-J :rolleyes:

ImaShepHead - OMG, small world!! If your dog was the one I think it was, then she was AMAZING!!! Well deserved wins - what a dog! :rolleyes:

The judge on the Saturday was pretty thorough with his exam - it was along the lines of a conformation exam, minus the mouthing.

Tiger was the least attractive of the GSDs there on the night, but dont tell her that, she thinks that shes a show dog! She did well as a young dog in showing, but just doesnt have 'it' thats why she needs to learn to love being in the spotlight in the obedience ring instead. 'Rogue" the GSD who won on Sun, does show training with my other girl Chili and she is just in love with him, he's a beautiful boy.

I think that Enya should get extra pats for staying still when the little min poodle started squeaking during the down stay on saturday, sounded just like a toy! I thought that Rogue and the irish setters little game during the stays on sunday were just the cutest, although the owners didnt think so!

I thought the same thing about the judge, I wonder if the dogs were thinking he'd forgotten something when he left without checking their teeth! They probably smiled at him anyway just in case!

post-9-1111376518.jpg

ImaShepHead

It is a small world. Congratulations. I was right Sunday morning wasn't I? when i said that you had come back today to win :rolleyes:

I am guessing the reason that Sunday's judge had a different approach to the SFE is that she broke her ribs a week and a bit earlier and she had a fair few entries on Sat night so was quite sore afterwards, dunno?

cheers

M-J