Dog Ate Rotten Egg

If it just a rotten egg, than there is unlikely to be any issues.

The only concern I would have would be ... is it unusual to see an egg where it was? Why was it there? There is a chance someone may have injected something into it.

But maybe you have chickens and the egg was on your own property. Just not sure of the source of the egg, that's all.

The only concern I would have would be ... is it unusual to see an egg where it was? Why was it there? There is a chance someone may have injected something into it.

But maybe you have chickens and the egg was on your own property. Just not sure of the source of the egg, that's all.

Very irritating actually. We live in the burbs in Western Sydney in a cul de sac --- one of the neighbours just lets a chook roam the street and I'm actually not exactly sure who it is. Archie's ears prick up like no-one's business when we go out for walks - he's chased it but reached it and chickened out (chickened out, geddit ? :D) and I doubt he'll ever go for it anyway ... but there's a staffy down the road that may feel differently one day.

Anyway ... the chook created a little nest in the bushes outside the front of our house and laid. I have meant to pick them up a couple of times coz I've seen him sniffing in there, but they're really hard to get to. Tempted to ask whoever owns it to pick up after their chook but need to narrow that down first.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice - he's lying down sleeping now, doesn't seem too worried but yes, we'll see what treats he leaves from the back end on his walk later ...

Very irritating actually. We live in the burbs in Western Sydney in a cul de sac --- one of the neighbours just lets a chook roam the street and I'm actually not exactly sure who it is. Archie's ears prick up like no-one's business when we go out for walks - he's chased it but reached it and chickened out (chickened out, geddit ? :D) and I doubt he'll ever go for it anyway ... but there's a staffy down the road that may feel differently one day.

Anyway ... the chook created a little nest in the bushes outside the front of our house and laid. I have meant to pick them up a couple of times coz I've seen him sniffing in there, but they're really hard to get to. Tempted to ask whoever owns it to pick up after their chook but need to narrow that down first.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice - he's lying down sleeping now, doesn't seem too worried but yes, we'll see what treats he leaves from the back end on his walk later ...

Sounds like the egg would be safe from any human intervention then, all good. :)

Edited by dyzney

My Pug ate over a dozen rotten duck eggs last week. His guts were churning that avo so he slept out in the runs that night. What greeted me the next morning wasn't pretty! Aside from the diarrhea there were no ill effects and he was burning around the next day as it nothing had happened.

Ewwww Archie!!!!

Eggs can carry salmonella and other nasties but dog (especially labradors) seem to generally have an iron gut when it comes to these sort of "dietary indiscretions" so he should be right.

I'd watch for signs of vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy etc over the next few days though.

I was told years ago, the reason why dogs don't get sick from rotten food was because they have a very short digestive system, in and out within about 8 hours depending on their overall diet. Humans on the other hand take about 48-72 hours which is why salmonella is such a risk, it has time to 'breed'.

I have no idea if that is true but sounds plausible!

Anyway good luck over the next few hours, sounds like it is time for Archie to catch some fresh air :laugh: